Pennies in the water trough.

       The Horse Forum > Keeping and Caring for Horses > Horse Health

Pennies in the water trough.

This is a discussion on Pennies in the water trough. within the Horse Health forums, part of the Keeping and Caring for Horses category

LinkBack Thread Tools
    01-23-2010, 07:04 PM
Pennies in the water trough.

I was reading on Yahoo about uses for pennies. One of them was to put a few in the outside bird bath to inhibit algae. (They recommended coins minted before 1982 because the copper content was higher).

What I'm getting at is the question: will adding copper to a horse's water trough help with algae and how much is necessary in a 100 gallon tank?
Sponsored Links
    01-23-2010, 07:13 PM
Hydrogen peroxide added to the water in a trough prevents algie and will not harm the horses.. I used it for one year and it seemed to work fine.
I use muriatic acid in the troughs to wash them out weekly. It really cuts the algie and makes the tank look like new
    01-23-2010, 07:58 PM
Originally Posted by RiosDad    
hydrogen peroxide added to the water in a trough prevents algie and will not harm the horses.. I used it for one year and it seemed to work fine.
Are you serious?? Hydrogen peroxide is not supped to be drinkable!
    01-23-2010, 08:18 PM
Neither is Clorox but a cap full in the water trough will cut the algae also, I'm not comfortable with either. The question, though, is about copper.
    01-23-2010, 08:59 PM
I saw that same article and had the same exact thought! Maybe just enough to cover the bottom?
    01-23-2010, 09:28 PM
Originally Posted by ponyboy    
Are you serious?? Hydrogen peroxide is not supped to be drinkable!

I used it for one summer on 25 horses plus we had a doctor in the barn and she approved it also.

Google copper in preventing algie and you find lots but not really anything????
    01-23-2010, 09:43 PM
I have a smaller trough for just 4 horses, like 25 gallons maybe, and refill it a few times a day. I wash it out with a sponge and hot water every week, and it stays really clean. I've never had algae grow in it. I've also found that when I used to use buckets for their water, they freezed a lot quicker than now, when I use a trough. Why is this? I used to use heated water buckets in winter, and when I switched to a trough, I put a heater in it and the horses were deathly afraid of that big red scary monster. Gave up on that expedition xD. I've never heard of preventing algae with pennies....I've heard of using copper sulfate. Here's an article I found:

Prevent moss or algae growth in livestock, nurse tanks
    01-23-2010, 10:06 PM
Green Broke
Originally Posted by ponyboy    
Are you serious?? Hydrogen peroxide is not supped to be drinkable!

Actually, it's perfectly safe. I drink it whiten my teeth (even though it tastes like fish), I clean my fish tank with it, wash cuts with it... Couldn't live without the stuff.

If you drink too much though, it will make you throw up. Gave it to my dog once when he had eaten some ant poison. But, diluted in water, it won't do a thing.
    01-25-2010, 11:59 AM
Just another thought...if your using copper to keep algae out that would raise the copper content in the water itself...that means it would almost be like a copper supliment in the water wouldnt it? Just a random thought...i don't have a clue as to if it keep algae off lol
    01-25-2010, 12:16 PM
I came across this article: FA-13/FA008: Use of Copper in Freshwater Aquaculture and Farm Ponds and from what I can gather, you need to be careful not to overdose the copper level. It is dependent on the pH of the water.

Quick Reply
Please help keep the Horse Forum enjoyable by reporting rude posts.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Horse Forum forums, you must first register.

Already have a Horse Forum account?
Members are allowed only one account per person at the Horse Forum, so if you've made an account here in the past you'll need to continue using that account. Please do not create a new account or you may lose access to the Horse Forum. If you need help recovering your existing account, please Contact Us. We'll be glad to help!

New to the Horse Forum?
Please choose a username you will be satisfied with using for the duration of your membership at the Horse Forum. We do not change members' usernames upon request because that would make it difficult for everyone to keep track of who is who on the forum. For that reason, please do not incorporate your horse's name into your username so that you are not stuck with a username related to a horse you may no longer have some day, or use any other username you may no longer identify with or care for in the future.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:


Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Old Thread Warning
This thread is more than 90 days old. When a thread is this old, it is often better to start a new thread rather than post to it. However, If you feel you have something of value to add to this particular thread, you can do so by checking the box below before submitting your post.

Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Pawing in water trough IslandWave Horse Training 14 07-06-2011 07:04 PM
goldfish in trough socks Barn Maintenance 3 01-23-2010 05:28 PM
Goldfish in water trough.... farmpony84 Barn Maintenance 58 01-21-2010 02:04 PM
Can I put fish in the trough? AztecBaby Other Pets 3 01-10-2010 07:56 PM
algae problems in trough embee Horse Health 9 09-23-2009 01:09 AM

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:39 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0