We called the vet to have him come out but he just chatted with me via phone instead and I told him her vitals and the story. He said for lack of better knowledge he'd call it allergies or heaves (COPD) but that other than trying some antibiotics "just in case" there isn't much he can do. As far as it being heaves, he knows the living conditions of my farm. Which is why he felt the wasn't much I can do. BUT there has to be a treatment for a horse with COPD, right? Other than getting them outside and not feeding them poor feed? My pasture is not dusty, the horses are ALL on 24/7 turnout, I have four different types of hay none of which are dusty or moldy and this particular mare isn't on a grain/feed so there isn't much left.
I did switch her to one of my other kinds of hay and have been watering it down for her, we'll see if that does anything but I dought it and so far (two days now) no difference.
I have very little experience with heaves. Way back when I was boarding my own horses elsewhere the stable was feeding my horses crappy moldy hay but the problem was salved when the horses were moved to my home and cared for properly. So does this sound like COPD? What could we try for her that we aren't already trying? (The vets in my area are great for not knowing what something is or what to do with this something) Allergies, is that possible? Some sort of fall allergy?