Please pardon my question if it has been asked already,
 
 

       The Horse Forum > Keeping and Caring for Horses > Horse Health

Please pardon my question if it has been asked already,

This is a discussion on Please pardon my question if it has been asked already, within the Horse Health forums, part of the Keeping and Caring for Horses category
  • Excuse my question
  • Pardon my many question

 
LinkBack Thread Tools
    10-19-2011, 09:14 AM
  #1
Foal
Please pardon my question if it has been asked already,

Again, we are new horse owners, we are financially prepared to do what ever is necessary to make certain that our guy is and stays 100% healthy and in tip top condition.
Since picking Benny up I have had a growing list of questions. I research them and for the most part find good information. One question I can't seem to find an answer too is (Do all horses have worms?) AND is maintaining a low worm count the best you can hope for?
I ask this after reading some info on this site. I see that you should get fecal testing done twice a year (at least) and based on the egg count in the fecal matter your vet will worm or not, they will also be able to target the parasite with proper identification and use the proper wormer . So this leads me to think that there must be an acceptable threshold of worms?
Am I misunderstanding this?

Thanks again!
     
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
    10-19-2011, 09:31 AM
  #2
Showing
Yes, there's an acceptable threshold. Because horses live outside, there will never be a time when they're 100% parasite free. It's just not possible.
     
    10-19-2011, 09:35 AM
  #3
Foal
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed Racer    
Yes, there's an acceptable threshold. Because horses live outside, there will never be a time when they're 100% parasite free. It's just not possible.

Thank you! That really helps!
     
    10-19-2011, 09:37 AM
  #4
Showing
Glad I could help.
     
    10-19-2011, 10:43 AM
  #5
Green Broke
Probably over thinking it, Buy a generic wormer year long pack from horse.com or other discount house, They come with differnt drugs you alternate, usually they include a calender or schedule, on which paste to give which month. Yes you may end up giving your horse a paste he doesnt need once in a while, but I have never heard of any lasting side effects from a wormer paste used every other month or so.
     
    10-19-2011, 11:35 AM
  #6
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe4d    
probably over thinking it, Buy a generic wormer year long pack from horse.com or other discount house, They come with differnt drugs you alternate, usually they include a calender or schedule, on which paste to give which month. Yes you may end up giving your horse a paste he doesnt need once in a while, but I have never heard of any lasting side effects from a wormer paste used every other month or so.
This is outdated information.

OP, the new stuff is designed to minimize parasite resistance, which is a growing problem. The information you have, about fecal testing and such, is correct.
     
    10-19-2011, 11:40 AM
  #7
Foal
Quote:
Originally Posted by bubba13    
This is outdated information.

OP, the new stuff is designed to minimize parasite resistance, which is a growing problem. The information you have, about fecal testing and such, is correct.
Thanks, that's what I thought. Most of what I am reading seem to mention parasitic resistance if you over use the medicine when its not needed.
     

Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Meet Buzz! So totally over the moon (pardon the pun) JumpingTheMoon Horse Pictures 13 01-05-2010 08:05 PM
What do you do when asked about your horse? claireauriga Horse Talk 18 10-17-2008 11:59 AM



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:10 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0