Pneumonia, heaves or heart failure? - Page 3 - The Horse Forum
 4Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 42 Old 07-04-2012, 08:00 PM Thread Starter
Foal
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Virginia
Posts: 140
• Horses: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter65 View Post
Well yay thats great news! Sorry you had to go through all those vets though. He is so pretty I hope he makes a full recovery.
Thanks! I do too! I was so encouraged when he galloped through his pasture today!
Me and Smiling Horse is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #22 of 42 Old 07-04-2012, 11:01 PM
Trained
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Palmyra, Wisconsin
Posts: 5,812
• Horses: 4
That is wonderful news. I suspect the murmur is no big deal as he is running around.
Please continue with the updates, though I suspect they wiill all be good.
Can I ask what kind of trailer he was hauled in? Was he able to lower his head? I'm guessing he had shipping fever.
natisha is offline  
post #23 of 42 Old 07-04-2012, 11:50 PM
Yearling
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: secret mountain valley
Posts: 1,363
• Horses: 2
nevermind... missed the update!

Last edited by tealamutt; 07-04-2012 at 11:53 PM.
tealamutt is offline  
post #24 of 42 Old 07-05-2012, 10:48 AM Thread Starter
Foal
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Virginia
Posts: 140
• Horses: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by natisha View Post
That is wonderful news. I suspect the murmur is no big deal as he is running around.
Please continue with the updates, though I suspect they wiill all be good.
Can I ask what kind of trailer he was hauled in? Was he able to lower his head? I'm guessing he had shipping fever.
I had him professionally transported in a large side loader, and I don't think he was allowed to have his head down for long. :(
Me and Smiling Horse is offline  
post #25 of 42 Old 07-05-2012, 10:57 AM
Trained
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Palmyra, Wisconsin
Posts: 5,812
• Horses: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Me and Smiling Horse View Post
I had him professionally transported in a large side loader, and I don't think he was allowed to have his head down for long. :(
Mention that to your vet, it could matter.
How is your boy today?
natisha is offline  
post #26 of 42 Old 07-05-2012, 11:12 AM Thread Starter
Foal
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Virginia
Posts: 140
• Horses: 1
I'm so happy to say that his temp is 100.7 rectally, but it's also 94 degrees outside with high humidity! that's SO much better than before! His cough is gone, the vet said just a few traces of crackles left in his right lung - left is now clear!!! He seems brighter, has a springier step, and is back to nickering for his mash etc! I cut back the lasix to 1/3 of what he was getting due to the high heat index and the potential for dehydration.

He's getting Excede (extended release naxcel) and he seems to be responding to it nicely! I'm so grateful and relieved!
Hunter65 likes this.
Me and Smiling Horse is offline  
post #27 of 42 Old 07-05-2012, 11:30 AM
Trained
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Palmyra, Wisconsin
Posts: 5,812
• Horses: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Me and Smiling Horse View Post
I'm so happy to say that his temp is 100.7 rectally, but it's also 94 degrees outside with high humidity! that's SO much better than before! His cough is gone, the vet said just a few traces of crackles left in his right lung - left is now clear!!! He seems brighter, has a springier step, and is back to nickering for his mash etc! I cut back the lasix to 1/3 of what he was getting due to the high heat index and the potential for dehydration.

He's getting Excede (extended release naxcel) and he seems to be responding to it nicely! I'm so grateful and relieved!
As a nurse you probably know that lasix can deplete potassium which can effect heart function, so it's good to decrease it if you can.
I'm so glad he's doing well.
natisha is offline  
post #28 of 42 Old 07-05-2012, 12:46 PM
Yearling
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Saskatchewan
Posts: 1,356
• Horses: 2
I'm so happy that he's doing so well :). He sounds like he's back to loving life. He's such a handsome boy.
natisha likes this.
palominolover is offline  
post #29 of 42 Old 07-06-2012, 02:25 AM Thread Starter
Foal
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Virginia
Posts: 140
• Horses: 1
Dear Natisha,
Yes, I know about the K+ depletion asscoaited with loop diuretics. I aske dmy vet about it and she said, believe it or not, to get some salt substitute (not real salt) and offer it to him! She said it's made of potassium chloride. :) But ya know... I'm cutting back that lasix. It' SO hot outside and his lung are basically clear now...
Me and Smiling Horse is offline  
post #30 of 42 Old 07-06-2012, 08:12 AM
Yearling
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: secret mountain valley
Posts: 1,363
• Horses: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Me and Smiling Horse View Post
Dear Natisha,
Yes, I know about the K+ depletion asscoaited with loop diuretics. I aske dmy vet about it and she said, believe it or not, to get some salt substitute (not real salt) and offer it to him! She said it's made of potassium chloride. :) But ya know... I'm cutting back that lasix. It' SO hot outside and his lung are basically clear now...
I do not wish to be the bearer of bad news, but part of the reason that his lungs are clear is because of the lasix. I have trouble conveying this to the owners of my small animal patients who are in congestive heart failure. I am keeping my fingers crossed for you that this was just a very severe case of pneumonia but if you cut back on his diuretic please do so under the guidance of your vet so you can make sure he doesn't develop pulmonary edema again. If it is heart failure, the more times we allow the edema to develop, the harder it is to get things managed again.

I honestly am not trying to be a pill and I REALLY hope things go well with him, but with how rapid his response was to the meds I fear the worst. Pneumonia does not generally respond to antibiotics so quickly so I am worried it was the edema responding to the lasix. I will keep my fingers crossed that he does well as you back off on the diuretics.
tealamutt is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the The Horse Forum forums, you must first register.

Already have a Horse Forum account?
Members are allowed only one account per person at the Horse Forum, so if you've made an account here in the past you'll need to continue using that account. Please do not create a new account or you may lose access to the Horse Forum. If you need help recovering your existing account, please Contact Us. We'll be glad to help!

New to the Horse Forum?
Please choose a username you will be satisfied with using for the duration of your membership at the Horse Forum. We do not change members' usernames upon request because that would make it difficult for everyone to keep track of who is who on the forum. For that reason, please do not incorporate your horse's name into your username so that you are not stuck with a username related to a horse you may no longer have some day, or use any other username you may no longer identify with or care for in the future.



User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


Old Thread Warning
This thread is more than 90 days old. When a thread is this old, it is often better to start a new thread rather than post to it. However, If you feel you have something of value to add to this particular thread, you can do so by checking the box below before submitting your post.

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Oliver has pneumonia :( Klassic Superstar Horse Health 16 12-11-2011 06:54 PM
Pneumonia in Horses katieandduke Horse Health 0 01-01-2011 09:21 AM
Heart Issue - Irregular Heart Beat writer23 Horse Health 5 12-24-2010 07:20 AM
Congestive Heart Failure tempest Horse Health 3 10-27-2009 04:29 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome