I haven't posted for a while, but just wanted to let everyone know, my mare coliced tonight. I noticed tonight when I went to the barn to check on my horses, Belle hadn't touched much of her hay. All the horses at my boarding barn get fed around 4pm, It was 6pm when I got to the barn.
My first clue something wasn't right was when she didn't whinny for me likes he does every day. Then I noticed not much hay had been touched. I knew something was wrong. I checked hydration, wasn't too bad. Then listened for gut sounds, gut sounds were audible. Then I check gum color, still slightly pink. I decided to wait a bit as she wasn't acting painful or in any distress.
I checked on her again at 8pm, she was nibbling her hay, but still not her in your pocket personality. So, I decided to check her one more time tonight, that was 10:30pm. By now, I could tell she had been laying down, I saw no signs of fresh poo. I rechecked hydration, the snap test went back a little slower than normal, I rechecked gut sounds, still had gut sounds. Then I rechecked gum color, her gums were pale. Belle then decided she needed to lay down while I was checking her over. From those signs, I knew I needed to get the vet out stat! I could not let this progress to anything worse!
Called my usual vet, no answer. Called my second choice vet, no answer. Called another vet, no answer. Finally, got a hold of my original vet I used years ago. By now it was 11:30pm. Belle was acting more uncomfortable. Repeatedly laying down. Vet arrived around 12:30pm, checked her over and said she has gut sounds, her heart rate is normal, and she is getting pretty dehydrated. So banamine was given, fluids administered and now I am on poop watch. If she doesn't go poo by mid day tomorrow, I have to call the vet back out. The vet said Belle was his third colic call since 6pm. Stupid weather!
I'm not out of the woods just yet, but atleast I have started treatment early and hopefully avoided a nightmare! I want to thank everyone for your knowledge and education as I feel I have learned from examples. And always, always, go with your gut. When you know something is wrong, don't put it off till its too late. Always get the vet when you are in doubt about your horses health.
So, please say a prayer for Belle and I, and hope she makes a quick recovery. I will keep you all posted...