Prevention of Club Feet
 
 

       The Horse Forum > Keeping and Caring for Horses > Horse Health

Prevention of Club Feet

This is a discussion on Prevention of Club Feet within the Horse Health forums, part of the Keeping and Caring for Horses category
  • Club foot on yearling
  • Health horse feet

 
LinkBack Thread Tools
    06-14-2010, 10:09 PM
  #1
Yearling
Prevention of Club Feet

My mare wears down her right front hoof down different than her other feet, causing a minor club foot. I was thinking of ways to prevent this wearing, one obviously putting on shoes, another possibly wearing hoof boots? It would be a much cheaper solution than shoeing her (she's barefoot now) and it would be much less hassle. Are hoof boots supposed to be kept on all of the time, minus the time to get her hooves trimmed and checking their feet? Do you guys know of any other solutions to a club foot? Any help would be much appreciated! I also attached pics of her club foot.

Thanks!

ETA: We've had the chiropractor out so it's not an alignment issue and I don't think it's a conformation flaw either.

Also here's the boots I was looking at: http://www.horse.com/leg-protection-...oof-boots/590/
Attached Images
File Type: jpg confo pics 004.jpg (46.7 KB, 431 views)
File Type: jpg confo pics 007.jpg (49.0 KB, 349 views)
File Type: jpg confo pics 008.jpg (78.5 KB, 2085 views)
     
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
    06-15-2010, 01:53 AM
  #2
Yearling
Anyone?/ :-/
     
    06-15-2010, 02:23 AM
  #3
Trained
Have you had a professional barefoot trimmer out to have a look? I would guess it can be managed with regular maintenance trimming every 2/3 weeks to keep her feet balanced and aligned. More work or excercise will also help stimulate the circulation and encourage more and quicker growth.

Boots are really only made to be worn when riding or when doctoring, not all the time - however you could probably get away with using Easyboot glue ons or similar for a few days in a row, then giving her a day or two without them - but it would get expensive. You wouldn't want to leave boots with a gaitor or boots that cover the coronet on for any length of time (Over a few days).

I wouldn't go the shoe route. I think if you could learn how to do maintence trims with the specific aim of addressing this issue it might be the best way to go.
     
    06-15-2010, 10:13 AM
  #4
Foal
I don't see that she has a club foot?
I would think if she wears it down differently then theres some kind of unequal pressure going on, or the wall/sole is weaker on that foot. Try putting something on the foot to harden it up and get a good barefoot trimmer to come have a look.
     
    06-15-2010, 10:40 AM
  #5
mls
Trained
Definition of club foot:

Dealing with Club Foot in Horses
     
    06-15-2010, 02:17 PM
  #6
Yearling
I don't have a trimmer specifically for barefoot horses, but what do you think shoes would do? Wouldn't they allow the hoof to grow without being worn down? I was thinking the horse boots would do the same. I could just put them on while riding because the horse area is all soft dirt and the pasture is obviously grass. When we go out riding we go on asphalt roads through the neighborhoods, rocky areas, or big open areas with hard dirt.

ETA: I think she has a mild case of it and also really doesn't like to go on her right lead possibly because of it.
     
    06-15-2010, 02:53 PM
  #7
Yearling
Quote:
Originally Posted by wild_spot    
Have you had a professional barefoot trimmer out to have a look? I would guess it can be managed with regular maintenance trimming every 2/3 weeks to keep her feet balanced and aligned. More work or excercise will also help stimulate the circulation and encourage more and quicker growth.

Boots are really only made to be worn when riding or when doctoring, not all the time - however you could probably get away with using Easyboot glue ons or similar for a few days in a row, then giving her a day or two without them - but it would get expensive. You wouldn't want to leave boots with a gaitor or boots that cover the coronet on for any length of time (Over a few days).

I wouldn't go the shoe route. I think if you could learn how to do maintence trims with the specific aim of addressing this issue it might be the best way to go.
- I ride her daily and usually do lots of cantering around ^^

- What if I just put them on to ride?
     
    06-15-2010, 03:14 PM
  #8
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnaLover    

ETA: I think she has a mild case of it and also really doesn't like to go on her right lead possibly because of it.
I think you probably have the chicken and egg thing in the wrong order here.

I would bet whatever is making such that she prefers to not do the right lead is what is also causing her to wear down this foot differently.

It probably would be best to do a full lameness evaluation with the veterinarian specializing in lameness issues before you try to mask the symptom by putting shoes on that foot.
     
    06-15-2010, 04:35 PM
  #9
Yearling
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alwaysbehind    
I think you probably have the chicken and egg thing in the wrong order here.

I would bet whatever is making such that she prefers to not do the right lead is what is also causing her to wear down this foot differently.

It probably would be best to do a full lameness evaluation with the veterinarian specializing in lameness issues before you try to mask the symptom by putting shoes on that foot.
I said that because I read on the link provided above that a club foot will cause a horse to not want to go on the lead that they have the club foot on
     
    06-15-2010, 04:39 PM
  #10
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnaLover    
I said that because I read on the link provided above that a club foot will cause a horse to not want to go on the lead that they have the club foot on
Yes, but in this case I think, like I said above. You are getting your cause and affect backwards.

Your mare does not look like she has a club foot. Not even a slight one as you put it. I think there is something else going on here which causes her both not like that lead and drag her toe to wear her foot down funny.
     

Quick Reply
Please help keep the Horse Forum enjoyable by reporting rude posts.
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Horse Forum forums, you must first register.

Already have a Horse Forum account?
Members are allowed only one account per person at the Horse Forum, so if you've made an account here in the past you'll need to continue using that account. Please do not create a new account or you may lose access to the Horse Forum. If you need help recovering your existing account, please Contact Us. We'll be glad to help!

New to the Horse Forum?
Please choose a username you will be satisfied with using for the duration of your membership at the Horse Forum. We do not change members' usernames upon request because that would make it difficult for everyone to keep track of who is who on the forum. For that reason, please do not incorporate your horse's name into your username so that you are not stuck with a username related to a horse you may no longer have some day, or use any other username you may no longer identify with or care for in the future.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


Old Thread Warning
This thread is more than 90 days old. When a thread is this old, it is often better to start a new thread rather than post to it. However, If you feel you have something of value to add to this particular thread, you can do so by checking the box below before submitting your post.

Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Colic prevention RedTree Horse Health 12 02-17-2010 01:34 PM
Colic Prevention Through Diet? luvmyperch Horse Health 20 12-16-2009 05:39 PM
front leg support/injury prevention TequilaSunrise Horse Tack and Equipment 3 06-29-2009 10:57 PM
Thrush Prevention Angel_Leaguer Horse Health 14 04-09-2009 12:06 AM
Rain Rot Prevention kljumper14 Horse Health 7 09-13-2008 12:48 PM



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:31 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0