Products or Supplements Rich in Vitamin A? - The Horse Forum
 3Likes
  • 1 Post By verona1016
  • 1 Post By Cherie
  • 1 Post By verona1016
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 Old 05-29-2012, 11:34 AM Thread Starter
Foal
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 135
• Horses: 0
Products or Supplements Rich in Vitamin A?

I am on the search for a good supplement that is rich in vitamin A (to treat my gelding's rain rot). I've heard of using cattle a & d injections, given orally, but I am having a hard time getting my hands on it locally and with shipping online, it's very expensive (nearly the same cost to ship it as the product). I even tried ordering it in the amount that I needed but it's out of stock through the same distributor on various websites. With that being said, I wouldn't mind using a powder supplement.

What do you recommend that contains a decent level of vitamin A that is pretty common in tack shops?

kindredspirit is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 10 Old 05-29-2012, 01:01 PM
Foal
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Alachua, FL
Posts: 66
• Horses: 0
Fish Oil has Vitamin A. You can get it at the drugstore and bust the gel pills over feed. Not sure how much to use.
Gmac is offline  
post #3 of 10 Old 05-29-2012, 02:28 PM
Trained
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 5,286
• Horses: 1
SmartPak has a good chart showing vitamin A content (and more) of various supplements they carry: Multi-Vitamins at a Glance but they don't seem to have anything that is just vit A.

My guess would be that supplementing vitamin A wouldn't help unless the horse is deficient in it. If he's getting a ration balancer or recommended serving of complete grain, then additional vitamin A may or may not help.

If you've already tried medicated shampoo with no luck, it could be something else. I've heard of neck threadworms getting confused with rain rot, but have no first hand experience with them myself.
verona1016 is offline  
post #4 of 10 Old 05-29-2012, 02:32 PM Thread Starter
Foal
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 135
• Horses: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by verona1016 View Post
SmartPak has a good chart showing vitamin A content (and more) of various supplements they carry: Multi-Vitamins at a Glance but they don't seem to have anything that is just vit A.

My guess would be that supplementing vitamin A wouldn't help unless the horse is deficient in it. If he's getting a ration balancer or recommended serving of complete grain, then additional vitamin A may or may not help.

If you've already tried medicated shampoo with no luck, it could be something else. I've heard of neck threadworms getting confused with rain rot, but have no first hand experience with them myself.
He just lives off of hay since he's [usually] an easy keeper. Healthy weight and looks great in every regard except the rain rot which is getting unruly. I hear that fresh grass/hay is higher in vitamin A and I'm pretty sure his hay is from last season...so lacking a lot. He is on 24/7 turn out with free choice hay and obviously, he and his buddy have pretty much chowed down the entire field (they're only on a couple of acres). This is leading me to believe it's the vit A since I've tried the topical treatments without luck.

Neck threadworms sound icky. Do you know if regular wormers take care of those? He's gets wormed monthly.

Thanks for your input :)

kindredspirit is offline  
post #5 of 10 Old 05-29-2012, 02:46 PM
Trained
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 5,286
• Horses: 1
I think ivermectin kills neck threadworms but you have to do a double dose I believe.

You might also want to consider putting him on a ration balancer, which is a grain-free nutritional supplement to fill in the holes from a hay/pasture only diet. I get Triple Crown 30% supplement for my horse, but there are a bunch of different brands out there. Ration Balancer
kindredspirit likes this.
verona1016 is offline  
post #6 of 10 Old 05-29-2012, 02:50 PM Thread Starter
Foal
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 135
• Horses: 0
ah, thanks for pointing that out. I hadn't received that suggestion before so I'm definitely going to look into it!

kindredspirit is offline  
post #7 of 10 Old 05-29-2012, 02:59 PM
Showing
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Ontario
Posts: 17,193
• Horses: 0
Before you start dumping supplements into your horse, you should consult your vet regarding the affectiveness of Vitamin A and rain rot. The term ration balancer befuddles me; how can a horse's rations be balanced without bloodwork.
Saddlebag is offline  
post #8 of 10 Old 05-29-2012, 04:42 PM
Trained
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Oklahoma
Posts: 5,995
• Horses: 0
Good Vitamin A levels will absolutely prevent rain rot, lice, goopy or crusty eyes and a myrial of other maladies indicative of a Vitamin A / immune system deficiency.

A good loose mineral will have 150,000 to 250,000 units of Vitamin A per pound in it. You need to know what the Calcium and Phosphorus levels are in your pasture / hay. If you are grazing or feeding grass or grass hay, you will always be low on Calcium. We use a mineral that has 4X more Ca than P and either 150,000 or 200,000 units of A per # in it.

If you want to feed a pound or two of a grain or pellets every day or even every other day you can add "mare Plus' made by Farnam. It is cheap and very high in A and low in the B Vitamins and iron that makes horses high and silly like a race horse.

You can get the injectable Vitamin A from Tractor Supply or from one of the mail order ranch supply places like Jeffers or Valley Vet. It is cheap and very effective.
kindredspirit likes this.

visit us at www.wolferanch.com
Cherie is offline  
post #9 of 10 Old 05-29-2012, 06:28 PM
Trained
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 5,286
• Horses: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saddlebag View Post
Before you start dumping supplements into your horse, you should consult your vet regarding the affectiveness of Vitamin A and rain rot. The term ration balancer befuddles me; how can a horse's rations be balanced without bloodwork.
I think you might be overthinking it

A ration balancer is meant to fill in the nutritional holes that arise from feeding a horse on forage alone (particularly on hay) without adding a bunch of extra calories. Many (most?) people rely on grain-based hard feed to fill in these nutritional holes, but grain is less than desirable for many reasons; my horse is both an easy keeper and ulcer-prone, so I avoid giving him any grain, but I still want him to get the added nutrients that he isn't getting from hay alone.

It's true that to get a perfect nutritional fit for each horse, you'd have to do a bunch of testing, not just of the horse, but also of the hay, pasture, and any feed you give. Not only that, but you'd have to repeat these tests many times throughout the year as seasons change, hay ages, etc. It's not impossible to create a highly customized diet for a horse, but it's generally impractical, which is why people rely on pre-mixed feeds (grain, ration balancer, or supplements) to provide nutrition. These pre-mixed feeds generally work well for the majority of horses, but it's up to the owner to ultimately identify any nutrition-based shortcomings and compensate for them, which may take some trial and error.
kindredspirit likes this.
verona1016 is offline  
post #10 of 10 Old 05-30-2012, 09:20 AM Thread Starter
Foal
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 135
• Horses: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherie View Post
Good Vitamin A levels will absolutely prevent rain rot, lice, goopy or crusty eyes and a myrial of other maladies indicative of a Vitamin A / immune system deficiency.

A good loose mineral will have 150,000 to 250,000 units of Vitamin A per pound in it. You need to know what the Calcium and Phosphorus levels are in your pasture / hay. If you are grazing or feeding grass or grass hay, you will always be low on Calcium. We use a mineral that has 4X more Ca than P and either 150,000 or 200,000 units of A per # in it.

If you want to feed a pound or two of a grain or pellets every day or even every other day you can add "mare Plus' made by Farnam. It is cheap and very high in A and low in the B Vitamins and iron that makes horses high and silly like a race horse.

You can get the injectable Vitamin A from Tractor Supply or from one of the mail order ranch supply places like Jeffers or Valley Vet. It is cheap and very effective.
I ordered some Mare Plus :) Thanks so much for your helpful advice! I really appreciate it. That taught me a lot!

kindredspirit is offline  
Reply

Tags
rain rot , supplements , vitamin

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the The Horse Forum forums, you must first register.

Already have a Horse Forum account?
Members are allowed only one account per person at the Horse Forum, so if you've made an account here in the past you'll need to continue using that account. Please do not create a new account or you may lose access to the Horse Forum. If you need help recovering your existing account, please Contact Us. We'll be glad to help!

New to the Horse Forum?
Please choose a username you will be satisfied with using for the duration of your membership at the Horse Forum. We do not change members' usernames upon request because that would make it difficult for everyone to keep track of who is who on the forum. For that reason, please do not incorporate your horse's name into your username so that you are not stuck with a username related to a horse you may no longer have some day, or use any other username you may no longer identify with or care for in the future.



User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


Old Thread Warning
This thread is more than 90 days old. When a thread is this old, it is often better to start a new thread rather than post to it. However, If you feel you have something of value to add to this particular thread, you can do so by checking the box below before submitting your post.

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Most effective Hoof Supplements/Products bird3220 Hoof Care 12 04-15-2012 02:57 AM
Sore no more products and Equilite products!! Klassic Superstar Horse Health 6 01-23-2012 03:05 AM
Feeding vitamin supplements AND a ration balancer? Wallaby Horse Nutrition 2 01-12-2012 01:44 AM
Best products for rich color and shine? JaneyWaney9 Horse Grooming 9 12-03-2011 04:32 PM
vitamin/mineral supplements barnprincess Horse Nutrition 13 02-16-2010 01:00 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome