Question about Papers and Lighting
   

       The Horse Forum > Keeping and Caring for Horses > Horse Health

Question about Papers and Lighting

This is a discussion on Question about Papers and Lighting within the Horse Health forums, part of the Keeping and Caring for Horses category
  • Question paper light
  • Aqha transfer paper stolen

 
LinkBack Thread Tools
    07-12-2011, 10:18 PM
  #1
Weanling
Question about Papers and Lighting

The guy that I am going to buy from told me that he absolutely knows the horse is registered and he knows the sire and dam. He also said he would help me out with getting the papers. He said the woman who had him is going through a bad divorce and that he just really didnt want to kind of go through the rigamarore of getting them. I went and saw the horse on sunday, rode him and I really like the horse. The guy seems truly genuine in everythign he told me about the horse and I usually can tell when someone is trying to pull a fast one. Just wanted to know if anyone has every gotten the papers sort of the same situation such as I have? He said he heard that you have to go through the AQHA or something. It is a paint quarter horse, his wife calls him Romeo but his registered name is Thunder.

2nd question is I am wondering if I need to possibly leave the light on back near the stable when I bring the horse home on Tuesday? I ask because it is dark back there and just wondering if maybe the horse might be more comfortable in case he sort of gets startled?
     
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
    07-12-2011, 10:27 PM
  #2
Started
I wouldn't purchase the horse until the you actually have either the papers or signed application in hand. If you transfer money or bring the horse home without the papers you are as good as agreeing to purchase it as unregistered. If the registration is important to you and the price is reflecting a registered animal vs grade animal you need to take that into consideration as well.
     
    07-12-2011, 10:32 PM
  #3
Weanling
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poco1220    
I wouldn't purchase the horse until the you actually have either the papers or signed application in hand. If you transfer money or bring the horse home without the papers you are as good as agreeing to purchase it as unregistered. If the registration is important to you and the price is reflecting a registered animal vs grade animal you need to take that into consideration as well.
I actually don't think its too important to me but if they are available I would like to have them. I say that because I have raised dogs for over 23 yrs and have never had the papers on any of them. They are 100% purebred and when people came out to see them, I never had a problem with people liking what they saw and knowing they were getting a genuine pup. I can see possibly owning as many as 3-4 horses later on down the road, maybe lol. I say 3-4 because my wife and son might want to go riding sometimes as well as my dad. I can safely say I won't be all into the horse breeding thing though. Just pleasure riding, trial riding, and some parades from time to time so I really don't think having the papers might be a thing that will be too too important but once again if they are available I would like to have them
     
    07-12-2011, 10:35 PM
  #4
Weanling
First of all, if he is a paint (or paint colored) he CANNOT be AQHA registered. Second, since I'm an AQHA member I looked up "THUNDER" as a registered name. There is only one, he's a sorrel gelding born in 1983.
If you NEED papers for whatever you are planning to do with this horse, DON'T BUY HIM! It is like pulling teeth from an Egyptian mummy in the Smithsonian trying to file lost or stolen papers from AQHA. And if there was incomplete paperwork from transfered owners and/or if the registration was ever truely completed, you will have to find the original breeders for signatures and pay ALL the fees from the point the papers got "lost" or whatever til now, including any ownership transfers and all of those people signatures.

If you don't NEED papers, then buy the horse WITH A BILL OF SALE AND PICTURES!!!! I don't trust anyone with a "papered but I can't find them" horse. I know not everyone is a liar, but too many are and you don't want to find yourself in a legal matter with stolen horse!

GOOD LUCK!
     
    07-12-2011, 10:42 PM
  #5
Trained
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poco1220    
I wouldn't purchase the horse until the you actually have either the papers or signed application in hand. If you transfer money or bring the horse home without the papers you are as good as agreeing to purchase it as unregistered. If the registration is important to you and the price is reflecting a registered animal vs grade animal you need to take that into consideration as well.
I agree. You should get the signed transfer paper at the time you pay for the horse. You can search this forum to read about all the problems that people have trying to get transfers done after they've bought the horse with a promise of getting the papers.

Quote:
Just wanted to know if anyone has every gotten the papers sort of the same situation such as I have? He said he heard that you have to go through the AQHA or something. It is a paint quarter horse, his wife calls him Romeo but his registered name is Thunder.
I assume when you say 'paint quarter horse' that the horse is a Paint with one Paint and one QH parent. If so, as a Paint, registration is with the APHA, not AQHA. If you really want to buy the horse and try to fix the papers later, please give the APHA a call to see what you'll be in for.

Quote:
2nd question is I am wondering if I need to possibly leave the light on back near the stable when I bring the horse home on Tuesday? I ask because it is dark back there and just wondering if maybe the horse might be more comfortable in case he sort of gets startled?
I wouldn't leave a light on as horses see very well in the dark. I do suggest, however, that you try and bring any horse to a new place as early in the day as possible to give them as much time to adjust as possible while you can still keep an eye on it.
     
    07-12-2011, 10:48 PM
  #6
Started
Actually if he has paint markings he CAN be AQHA registered as long as his parents are all AQHA. They now allow cropouts and no longer dismiss them from the registry.

The nice things about papers is you know the horses exact age, bloodlines, and diseases to watch out for (such as hypp, etc.). And if you ever sell the horse having no papers greatly reduces it's value.
     
    07-12-2011, 10:49 PM
  #7
Weanling
Quote:
Originally Posted by heartprints62    
First of all, if he is a paint (or paint colored) he CANNOT be AQHA registered. Second, since I'm an AQHA member I looked up "THUNDER" as a registered name. There is only one, he's a sorrel gelding born in 1983.
If you NEED papers for whatever you are planning to do with this horse, DON'T BUY HIM! It is like pulling teeth from an Egyptian mummy in the Smithsonian trying to file lost or stolen papers from AQHA. And if there was incomplete paperwork from transfered owners and/or if the registration was ever truely completed, you will have to find the original breeders for signatures and pay ALL the fees from the point the papers got "lost" or whatever til now, including any ownership transfers and all of those people signatures.

If you don't NEED papers, then buy the horse WITH A BILL OF SALE AND PICTURES!!!! I don't trust anyone with a "papered but I can't find them" horse. I know not everyone is a liar, but too many are and you don't want to find yourself in a legal matter with stolen horse!

GOOD LUCK!
Im not certain he said AQHA, I know it was something to that effect though. Could it be another association possibly?
     
    07-12-2011, 10:55 PM
  #8
Weanling
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaintHorseMares    
I agree. You should get the signed transfer paper at the time you pay for the horse. You can search this forum to read about all the problems that people have trying to get transfers done after they've bought the horse with a promise of getting the papers.



I assume when you say 'paint quarter horse' that the horse is a Paint with one Paint and one QH parent. If so, as a Paint, registration is with the APHA, not AQHA. If you really want to buy the horse and try to fix the papers later, please give the APHA a call to see what you'll be in for.



I wouldn't leave a light on as horses see very well in the dark. I do suggest, however, that you try and bring any horse to a new place as early in the day as possible to give them as much time to adjust as possible while you can still keep an eye on it.
so would I need to just google all of those associations and get a number and contact them and ask them what route to take as far as that goes?
     
    07-12-2011, 11:01 PM
  #9
Started
You would need some idea of the horses actual registered name or registration number to start with. You'd also need to know which registration as it could be AQHA, APHA, or Pinto. Then you'd still have to get them to sign the papers over, the past owner who is holding the papers could say the horse was sold without them and they wouldn't be transferable.
     
    07-12-2011, 11:09 PM
  #10
Trained
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyg052003    
so would I need to just google all of those associations and get a number and contact them and ask them what route to take as far as that goes?
You certainly can, but the more you know before you call, the better. Is this by chance this 12 year old Paint named Thunder? Thunder Paint
     

Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
outdoor lighting for arena churumbeque Barn Maintenance 1 08-30-2010 11:59 AM
Finding Papers? banjiny16 Horse Talk 11 01-13-2010 10:36 PM
cheap lighting for outdoor rings? dynamite. Barn Maintenance 2 12-24-2009 09:44 PM
Getting Papers appylover31803 Horse Law 8 02-20-2009 08:36 PM
horse papers?????? pocket-pixie Horse Protection 6 10-10-2008 11:19 AM



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:37 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0