Rabies in horses? How common is it? - Page 2 - The Horse Forum

 58Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 63 Old 07-29-2013, 08:10 PM
Trained
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: OK
Posts: 9,669
• Horses: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedStrawberry View Post
Wow seriously? No one has ever been infected by rabies after a horse bite? That means I spent nearly a decade being scared for no reason? And I won't die from the horse bite that I had 12 years ago?
You would have died 9 1/2 years or more ago if you were going to die from the bite, if the horse had been infected. You're well past any problems of that nature.

Dreamcatcher Arabians is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #12 of 63 Old 07-29-2013, 08:14 PM
Yearling
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Where the red fern grows....
Posts: 1,293
• Horses: 4
Horses nip and/or bite each other as a form of communication, much like if we were to reach out and slap or punch someone in the arm. I am very sorry that you had such trouble afterwords with the accident, as that is what what it was, an accident. I can't imagine having to go through all you have been through over a bite and hope that talking about it, or being around horses.

Have you tried finding a cozy spot near a fence line that has horses in the field and watching them? Get a few books on why horses do what they do, what their ear movements mean or say, how they communicate. Do you have a friend with a dead broke horse, one who is very calm and quiet, you can sit and watch? Or maybe touch the things we use to ride, the saddle, feel the reins in your hands, between your fingers, touch a soft bristle brush, think to yourself what it feels like, or the smell of the leather, does it bring back good memories? Happy times?
GreySorrel is offline  
post #13 of 63 Old 07-29-2013, 08:16 PM
Yearling
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Maryland
Posts: 1,264
• Horses: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedStrawberry View Post
But wouldn't the horse see my knee and know that it is not part of the horse? Wow I really didn't know horses do that. I thought they communicate in other ways besides biting. !
They do miss occasionally :). Horses actually have a limited field of vision...just like a shark (I know poor comparison) when their head gets close to something the object moves into a blind spot..your knee is a lot smaller than another horse.
tlkng1 is offline  
post #14 of 63 Old 07-29-2013, 08:19 PM
Yearling
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 1,438
• Horses: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedStrawberry View Post
Wow seriously? No one has ever been infected by rabies after a horse bite? That means I spent nearly a decade being scared for no reason? And I won't die from the horse bite that I had 12 years ago?
If a rabid animal bit you you likely won't live 12 years. :) TONS of hroses bite - out of nasty habit, they're hungry, they're poorly trained. If you read the article I posted it says in there that there's been no horse to human transmission - so you're almost certainly just too paranoid :)
Shoebox is offline  
post #15 of 63 Old 07-29-2013, 08:39 PM Thread Starter
Foal
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 24
• Horses: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamcatcher Arabians View Post
As for rabies, most horses get rabies shots routinely, I can't imagine a public facility not having their horses immunized on a regular basis.

IMO, you need to go be friends with 1 very gentle and sweet horse, it will get you past all the horse fears. The OCD is a whole different issue, therapy is going to have to work on that.

I love how you wrote about OCD because that is exactly what I have been diagnosed with! It's agonizing. For a decade I had nightmares about a rabid horse biting me. I asked everyone I know if they know why horses bite and they all told me it was abnormal and that horses usually don't bite. This fueled my fears. I started to dislike horses a lot. I would have panic attacks when I would see a real horse in front of me when I went to Times Square.

I even went far to call the ranch to ask if they vaccinate their horses, first they thought that was the weirdest question to ask and what made my fears worse was that the owner of the ranch that owned the place when I visited it isn't there anymore.
RedStrawberry is offline  
post #16 of 63 Old 07-29-2013, 08:42 PM Thread Starter
Foal
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 24
• Horses: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamcatcher Arabians View Post
You would have died 9 1/2 years or more ago if you were going to die from the bite, if the horse had been infected. You're well past any problems of that nature.

This fear was made worse when I watched a video on a "suspiciously rabid horse." I am driving my parents insane! They are ready to admit me to a psychiatric hospital. At least one good thing is that I know who my friends are, the ones who stood by be after I endlessly asked them why a horse would bit me if it wasn't rabid.
RedStrawberry is offline  
post #17 of 63 Old 07-29-2013, 08:47 PM Thread Starter
Foal
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 24
• Horses: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoebox View Post
If a rabid animal bit you you likely won't live 12 years. :) TONS of hroses bite - out of nasty habit, they're hungry, they're poorly trained. If you read the article I posted it says in there that there's been no horse to human transmission - so you're almost certainly just too paranoid :)
I am so scared to read the article because I am scared it will trigger a panic attack! But I trust you when you say there has been no horse to human transmission. I feel a little bit better. I am sure people have been bitten by horses before me and if the horse was rabid they would probably have called everyone that were in that ranch to take the post exposure vaccination...I hope.
RedStrawberry is offline  
post #18 of 63 Old 07-29-2013, 08:51 PM
Yearling
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Desert from Hell, CA.
Posts: 1,377
• Horses: 5
horses bite. Dogs bite. Cats bite. Hampsters bite. Lizards bite, some kids bite.

If youve been afraid of horses for 12 years, you have greater issues than the possibility that that one horse was rabid. Being someone who struggles with long term depression and anxiety, I mean that in the best of ways possible. You should talk to your doctor about options, and once that's done, go volunteer at a therapy barn or rescue. Then instead of pointless fear, you may accomplish something for yourself, and further your love of animals.

Also, a standard biology course or two would be very enjoyable to you, and may help assauge (sp?) some of your fears regarding things like diseases and standard animal behavior. Ita at least a good place to start.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jareth, the Goblin King
I move the stars for no one.
RIP Pumpkin: 2012-8/26/13
demonwolfmoon is offline  
post #19 of 63 Old 07-29-2013, 08:52 PM
Yearling
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 1,438
• Horses: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedStrawberry View Post
I am so scared to read the article because I am scared it will trigger a panic attack! But I trust you when you say there has been no horse to human transmission. I feel a little bit better. I am sure people have been bitten by horses before me and if the horse was rabid they would probably have called everyone that were in that ranch to take the post exposure vaccination...I hope.
The more you read up in the forum here the more you'll find that a LOT of horses bite. I've been bitten when I was cinching up Clem because she didn't want to be saddled. I've been bitten by a horse in the field who wanted a treat. I was almost bitten by a dominant horse in the other pasture because he was being a dominant asshat (and boy did he get a dressing down for it).

Horses can't speak, so they use the other tools available to them. One of those being teeth. Just watch a herd of horses in a pasture and count the bites - you'll reach a dozen pretty fast!
Shoebox is offline  
post #20 of 63 Old 07-29-2013, 08:53 PM Thread Starter
Foal
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 24
• Horses: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreySorrel View Post
Horses nip and/or bite each other as a form of communication, much like if we were to reach out and slap or punch someone in the arm. I am very sorry that you had such trouble afterwords with the accident, as that is what what it was, an accident. I can't imagine having to go through all you have been through over a bite and hope that talking about it, or being around horses.

Have you tried finding a cozy spot near a fence line that has horses in the field and watching them? Get a few books on why horses do what they do, what their ear movements mean or say, how they communicate. Do you have a friend with a dead broke horse, one who is very calm and quiet, you can sit and watch? Or maybe touch the things we use to ride, the saddle, feel the reins in your hands, between your fingers, touch a soft bristle brush, think to yourself what it feels like, or the smell of the leather, does it bring back good memories? Happy times?

I live in the city so I don't have much exposure to horses. I used to love reading about them in children books before I was bitten. After I got bit I just stopped thinking about horses altogether. I wasn't scared of them till 2 years later when the Post Traumatic Stress started to kick in and then years later the rabies obsession kicked in and made my life miserable all over an accidental horse bite :(. Years of medication and therapy wasn't enough because my therapist didn't know why the horse bit me either because she doesn't have much experience or knowledge of them. I have found some sort of peace by coming here and finding out that horses do bite sometimes and it is something common and nothing to get worried about.
RedStrawberry is offline  
Reply

Tags
horse bite , rabies , ranch , rides , vaccinations

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the The Horse Forum forums, you must first register.

Already have a Horse Forum account?
Members are allowed only one account per person at the Horse Forum, so if you've made an account here in the past you'll need to continue using that account. Please do not create a new account or you may lose access to the Horse Forum. If you need help recovering your existing account, please Contact Us. We'll be glad to help!

New to the Horse Forum?
Please choose a username you will be satisfied with using for the duration of your membership at the Horse Forum. We do not change members' usernames upon request because that would make it difficult for everyone to keep track of who is who on the forum. For that reason, please do not incorporate your horse's name into your username so that you are not stuck with a username related to a horse you may no longer have some day, or use any other username you may no longer identify with or care for in the future.



User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


Old Thread Warning
This thread is more than 90 days old. When a thread is this old, it is often better to start a new thread rather than post to it. However, If you feel you have something of value to add to this particular thread, you can do so by checking the box below before submitting your post.

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
How common is ASD in Rocky Mountain Horses, KMPH, and KMSH? Elizabeth Bowers Horse Health 9 02-28-2013 11:42 AM
Possible Rabies Scare! FlyGap General Off Topic Discussion 14 02-20-2013 05:00 PM
Most Common Diseases in Horses? LikeaTB Horse Health 7 07-27-2012 07:37 AM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome