The horse is not mine, it's a new addition at the horse shelter were I'm volunteering. I can't take a decision by myself , it's not my power to do this. If it was my power I will put the horse down. But anyhow, I wanted to know if you'll give her some chances. Does she will be fine with proper care? She can be saved? It's a good decision to put her down?
I think that she will be put down soon. They don't want to do it if she has chances but it seems that the mare doesn't have to many chances.
Please, please only give opinions on her chances of survival and recover. We really do all that we can for her. We didn't put her down yet because we wait to hear some opinions from another vet that we called. He isn't in town right now and can't come yet. We don't have to many horse vets in the town, only 3 from what I know so we don't have many options.
So, we saved this mare from the streets. Her former owners told us that she had a car accident, but I find this hard to believe. So the owner gave her to us. I can't imagine how a horse can rip of his right hoof to the bone in a car accident and accident himself on the opposite side, the left side. The wound from the left side seems to be like cuts. The mare doesn't have to many bruises or any broken bone. So I can't believe that she is in this state because of a car accident. I heard of a case like this when a horse ripped off his hoof to the bone in a rail road, the horse caught his hoof there. But this isn't the case.
When we were called to take the mare we didn't knew how bad his wound were. So we took her and then treat her. He is at us for 2 days already. She has another vet appointment soon, tomorrow or the day after tomorrow. We called another vet to take a decision on her. We treat her with the help of a vet. She is treated for the infection, her wounds are treated and cleaned daily, the bandages are changed daily and the wounds from the left side were stitched.
The wound from the hoof is horrible, the bone is visible there. One vet told us that the hoof wall will grow in half a year but I'm not really sure. Because of that we called another vet. I think that the best decision on her is to be put down. But it's not my right to take the decision.
The mare. She is skinny. 2010-05-26_222952.jpg
The wounds from the left side. 2010-05-26_222732.jpg
The hoof, or what remained from the hoof. 2010-05-26_222614.jpg 2010-05-26_222635.jpg 2010-05-26_222806.jpg