Really bad case - Page 2
   

       The Horse Forum > Keeping and Caring for Horses > Horse Health

Really bad case

This is a discussion on Really bad case within the Horse Health forums, part of the Keeping and Caring for Horses category

     
    LinkBack Thread Tools
        05-26-2010, 07:43 PM
      #11
    Weanling
    Imagine all the resources you can put into helping other horses if you put her down instead of spending all the time and money it would take to make her healthy again.

    If it was just the cuts, then keep at it, but with that hoof.....

    Poor girl. Good for you that you could help her, once the vet is out I hope he will help you give her a peaceful end.
         
    Sponsored Links
    Advertisement
     
        05-26-2010, 10:45 PM
      #12
    Yearling
    ShutUpJoe...
    This is the link you were talking about I think. I think the horse lived, actually.
    Http//www.stepaheadfarm.com/Case182.html
         
        05-27-2010, 04:05 AM
      #13
    Weanling
    Thank you all for the opinions. I really appreciate it. At least if she will be put down we will now that it was the right decision for her. It's a hard thing to do in such a case but it's hard to let her be in pain too.

    @ Skipsfirstspike , ShutUpJoe : The link is very useful. Thank you a lot.
         
        05-31-2010, 12:30 PM
      #14
    Lis
    Yearling
    How did the second vet visit go?
         
        05-31-2010, 02:17 PM
      #15
    Weanling
    I am curious about that too.. How is it going?
    What a HORRIBLE thing for her to happen!
    On a way I'd put her down as well, but on another way, if she eats so well and seems so happy, why not give her a chance of the vet thinks it might work out?
    Good luck to her, whatever path she may take!
         
        05-31-2010, 06:40 PM
      #16
    Weanling
    Well... The second vet told us that she will be ok. He said that he wouldn't put her down. But I really think that this horse should be put down. But as I said is not my decision to take. They decided to give her a chance, which is fine, but in the same time I don't think that the quality of her life will be great. Even if her hoof will grow back she will be limping and she has all the chances to have laminitis in the other three legs.
    I saw the mare today, I didn't take pictures but it's better this way. The wound from the left side, the big one on the shoulder, is open now. The stitches didn't hold her wound closed so now the wound is open and we can't stitch her back.

    Do you have any advice as to what we should use for an open wound, to clean it better and to prevent the infection? We still give her antibiotics but I'm really concerned about that open wound.

    Her hoof is fine for the moment. And the mare is still curious, she eats all day long and is very talkative when you go in her stall. But I'm so sorry for her. I will try to speak tomorrow with the person that has the right to decide in this case and I'll see what it will be done. I really hope that she will change her mind and decide to put her down but I have a lot of doubts.
    If she decides to keep the mare alive I will try to make all that I can for this mare.

    Thank you for the support.
         
        05-31-2010, 06:44 PM
      #17
    Showing
    Wow, it must be horrible to be in your position. I agree with you that the mare should probably be put down but if they say they won't then all you can do is make her as comfortable as you can for as long as you can. As for the wound on her shoulder, I think I would probably wash it twice a day with antibacterial soap and apply an antibacterial ointment. It is far too big of an area to try to cover but just keeping it clean should work. I don't know if you have access to Granulex over there but I swear by that stuff for cleaning open wounds.
         
        05-31-2010, 07:04 PM
      #18
    Weanling
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by smrobs    
    Wow, it must be horrible to be in your position. I agree with you that the mare should probably be put down but if they say they won't then all you can do is make her as comfortable as you can for as long as you can. As for the wound on her shoulder, I think I would probably wash it twice a day with antibacterial soap and apply an antibacterial ointment. It is far too big of an area to try to cover but just keeping it clean should work. I don't know if you have access to Granulex over there but I swear by that stuff for cleaning open wounds.
    Thank you for your quick reply. Yes it's horrible that I can't do what's better for the horse. I think that a horse shouldn't be kept alive if his quality of life will be awful. And I really don't see a good life for this mare. It will take months for the hoof to grow back and a lot of pain for the mare. I just think it's cruel to keep her alive. But here the conditions aren't to great for a horse that it's injured like her. And a case like this will have better chances in a clinic, but we don't have such a thing. So we must treat her home with the vet supervision.
    The person that has the right to decide is one of those that think that euthanasia is not a solution. She is a doctor but she will never put down an animal even if the animal is in pain and beyond hope. So she will not take the decision to put her down. The only solution was the second doctor that came to us, but he said that is ok to keep her alive. And the same doctor advised us to put down a lot of horses, and some of them are ok now. So... I don't understand why he said to keep this horse alive. I have no idea.

    Anyway, I will try to make all that I can for the horse. We will treat her in shifts. I have never treated a wound on a horse so it will be something that I will learn now. To clean the wound and to bandage a hoof.

    And thank you a lot for the advice. The idea with the antibacterial soap and antibacterial ointment is great. Unfortunately we don't have Granulex but I hope that the doctor will advice us to use something. But for tomorrow we must treat the wound without the doctor.
         
        05-31-2010, 09:15 PM
      #19
    Showing
    It's tough to put an animal down. Not everyone thinks it's a good idea, but in this case it's just a bad decision not to. Poor girl, it's just unbelievable what happens to the animals thanks to some people. I wish her all the luck she needs.

    I know there is stuff called "furacilin" pretty popular in some countries out there (see here Furacilin , Best Online Pharmacy. ). You dissolve the tablet and wash the wound with the solution. It does wonder.
         
        05-31-2010, 10:05 PM
      #20
    Yearling
    I think it is very wonderful your group wants to save her, I really do. For her to be in that kind of pain would be horrific, she seems gentle enough to allow you to handle her to treat it.

    That said, if this horse came through our rescue I would not hesitate to demand she be put to sleep. We believe horses should die with their dignity. This is not dignity, this is suffering. I do not believe that this wound will heal without major issues down the road. The animal has no hoof wall left, and there is exposed bone. Without access to a top notch equine hospital and state of the art medicine and surgeries, I cannot see her surviving.

    If I had no choice but to try, I would consider having the leg amputated midway up the cannon bone and having her fitted with a prosthetic limb. I cannot see that injuring healing enough to allow her to walk on it.

    For sure- get her out of that sand. Those fine granules are going to work into the wound and carry bacteria. I would bed her down with shredded paper myself.

    Good luck. I'm sending as many blessings as I can come up with for her.
         

    Thread Tools

    Similar Threads
    Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
    Bad Case Of Choke HorsesAreForever Horse Health 13 05-17-2010 09:06 AM
    Lost the Case Beau Baby Horse Law 8 02-26-2010 11:48 PM
    In case anyone is interested.....FDA announcement G and K's Mom Horse Health 1 07-21-2009 02:20 PM
    Just in case you're not sick of me yet.... mudypony Horse Pictures 15 06-15-2008 08:21 PM
    Need help with new colic case whisky jack Horse Health 5 10-24-2007 10:39 PM



    All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:46 PM.


    Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
    Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
    Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0