Rescued pony~ cushings?
I will try not to be too lengthly with this post, but I would like to give enough information about our story. Last week I decided to pull a pony from the auction house. Not my first horse, but its been many many years. I was inexperienced the first time, and young. I did not have guidance back then, and I know mistakes were made when it came to his care. I now have a few close friends I can turn to who have more experience I can ever hope to gain. I was leasing a horse thru fall of 2011 thru the end of 2012. Didnt make me a pro, but I gained some helpful knowledge. I would like to think eventually I will be adopting thru a rescue. A pleasure horse.
Now.. where does the pony come in? Simple. He was rescued, or sent to slaughter. A friend of a friend is looking for a companion horse/pony for her TB. She doesnt want a dime for board, just cover my feed cost. He will be on her property with a paddock and run in. So, I took the chance. All he has to do is be happy, Ill ask nothing more of him. Lawn ornament/pasture buddy.
With my friends experience I learned today that the little man (most likely) is dealing with Cushings. Until the vet comes out to tell us otherwise, he is supposedly 12 yrs. His hooves show the tell tale signs of founder time and time again. His coat~ explosive. But he is adorable, he is kind, and he is going to get the best care I can give to him. My lack of experience led me into this situation. I followed my heart.
I have mulled thru the internet, read the specifics, read about the requirements for proper care and nutrition. The vet will be out on Wed. This week.
I was hoping to hear about other members experiences. Any suggestions for supplement, meds, hoof care that may seem to work better than others? I appreciate input from people that have experienced first hand.
You may wonder why my friend didnt step up at the time of purchase.. because we went to the auction to see a horse that wasnt sold the week before. Just wanted to take a look and see what was going thru. Three days later, the pony was still for sale. The boarding offer fell into place. I rolled the dice before it was too late for him. I made the call, and he went to the QT farm on Sunday (yesterday). I am not disappointed that he will never be a riding pony. That was never the plan. I feel terrible that he has been neglected and sick. The rescue group that is involved with the QT has offered to take him should his blood work reveal something bigger than I can afford to take on. I am hoping for a simple plan.. that he can live happily with hoof care, strict diet, and required meds and supplements.
Another lesson learned.