Rings on hooves?
 
 

       The Horse Forum > Keeping and Caring for Horses > Horse Health

Rings on hooves?

This is a discussion on Rings on hooves? within the Horse Health forums, part of the Keeping and Caring for Horses category
  • Normal hoof rings
  • Horses hoof rings

 
LinkBack Thread Tools
    05-27-2011, 08:25 PM
  #1
Yearling
Rings on hooves?

Within the past two weeks I've noticed indents in Kitty's hooves and I was just wondering if anyone had any idea what they could've been caused by. She has shown no signs of sensitivity or heat in her legs or hooves. We got her in the end of December and her diet has changed as well as her work schedual. Thank you in advanced.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Kitty's hind feet.jpg (71.1 KB, 727 views)
File Type: jpg photo[1].jpg (71.8 KB, 726 views)
     
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
    05-27-2011, 10:29 PM
  #2
Yearling
IMO your diet is working

Those "rings" you see are the new growth of the hoof that meets the old growth (the stuff that was there when you bought her). The new growth looks thicker and healthier, whereas the old growth is thinner, although not bad. The girl may just be getting better vitamins and minerals, and therefore her feet are growing in better. I wouldn't worry about the rings unless they crack. Most of the time these are normal with a diet change or supplement. They will most likely go away when her old growth grows out and is clipped off.

Once again, just my opinion, but I think it means that her feet are on the right track
     
    05-27-2011, 11:01 PM
  #3
Banned
Has she been sound throughout all of this?
     
    05-27-2011, 11:08 PM
  #4
Weanling
Good diet and environment change :)My farrier just dismissed my geldings rings and explained that they change with environment and diet. :) the rings on my gelding were aged to be just before we got him.
Posted via Mobile Device
     
    05-27-2011, 11:13 PM
  #5
Yearling
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakotababii    
IMO your diet is working

Those "rings" you see are the new growth of the hoof that meets the old growth (the stuff that was there when you bought her). The new growth looks thicker and healthier, whereas the old growth is thinner, although not bad. The girl may just be getting better vitamins and minerals, and therefore her feet are growing in better. I wouldn't worry about the rings unless they crack. Most of the time these are normal with a diet change or supplement. They will most likely go away when her old growth grows out and is clipped off.

Once again, just my opinion, but I think it means that her feet are on the right track
Ok, I was thinking that what you said could be a possibility, I just wasn't sure. She's due for a trim soon so I'll still get the farrier to check it out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubba13    
Has she been sound throughout all of this?
She has only been "ouchy" right after we trimmed her the first time (she hadn't been trimmed in around 6 months and even so, I don't know if an actual farrier did it). Also, for the past couple of days she's seemed a little stiff but it's been rainy lately and it is very slippery. When I was working Monday morning all of the horses were running and jumping around and I personally witnessed two horses who slipped and fell hard.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Kymbadina    
Good diet and environment change :)My farrier just dismissed my geldings rings and explained that they change with environment and diet. :) the rings on my gelding were aged to be just before we got him.
Posted via Mobile Device
Ok thanks!
     
    05-28-2011, 11:32 PM
  #6
Trained
Hi,

Those rings may signify a laminitic event or may signify the end of an ongoing lami period, which based on the little info you've given, sounds like that is likely. Depending on how quickly her feet are growing, the change/rings happened around 2-6 months ago. Ensuring she's not overfed, correctly supplemented and kept on a low-carb, high fibre diet is so important for hooves.

She's got quite overgrown feet, so I'd be inclined to keep her well trimmed more frequently. She's quite flared all round, but it appears the top growth is a lot tighter connected, showing better diet is working. Backing up/rolling those flares so the walls aren't loaded should allow the well connected growth to come down unhindered.

Hoofrehab.com & barehoofcare.com are 2 great sites to learn a lot more about hoof care & the factors that effect this. Good Hoof Photos - How to take Good Hoof Photos is somewhere to learn about taking good pics for critique.
     
    05-29-2011, 12:37 AM
  #7
Yearling
Quote:
Originally Posted by loosie    
Hi,

Those rings may signify a laminitic event or may signify the end of an ongoing lami period, which based on the little info you've given, sounds like that is likely. Depending on how quickly her feet are growing, the change/rings happened around 2-6 months ago. Ensuring she's not overfed, correctly supplemented and kept on a low-carb, high fibre diet is so important for hooves.

We e-mailed the pictures to our vet and she recommended that we get an x-ray done of the worst hoof just to be sure. At our current barn, there is no way of controlling the amount/type of feed she gets. However, we will be moving by the end of the month to a facility where she will receive the correct nurtients that she needs. If you have any questions that might be helpful to the situation I'd be willing to try and answer them.


She's got quite overgrown feet, so I'd be inclined to keep her well trimmed more frequently. She's quite flared all round, but it appears the top growth is a lot tighter connected, showing better diet is working. Backing up/rolling those flares so the walls aren't loaded should allow the well connected growth to come down unhindered.

In the past six months she's been trimmed around 5 times. We've been trying to find a decent farrier and it's been pretty difficult. We've got a new farrier coming out on the 11th (Requested a sooner appointment but it wasn't possible).

Hoofrehab.com & barehoofcare.com are 2 great sites to learn a lot more about hoof care & the factors that effect this. Good Hoof Photos - How to take Good Hoof Photos is somewhere to learn about taking good pics for critique.

Thank you for the websites. I know how to take decent pictures of a horses hoof. My Mom quickly took these with her phone. I have a shift at the barn tomorrow and I will definitely bring my camera and take better pictures.
Thank you for your imput. My comments are bold.
     
    05-30-2011, 05:53 PM
  #8
Yearling
I'll post the new pictures tomorrow when I have access to my laptop. We have scheduled a farrier to come out tomorrow and give her a trim and his imput. I'll post pictures of her feet after the trim ASAP. Also, we schedualed our vet to come out either this Thursday or next Thursday (I can't remember) to come out and take an X-ray on the worst hoof.

I have a question, why would there be rings on all four hooves that resemble founder / laminitis symptoms but she has shown no signs of lameness, tenderness and there is no detectable heat in them?
     
    05-31-2011, 11:40 PM
  #9
Trained
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arksly    
I have a question, why would there be rings on all four hooves that resemble founder / laminitis symptoms but she has shown no signs of lameness, tenderness and there is no detectable heat in them?
Because 'sub clinical' laminitis may be very mild or short lived, so you may have missed the day(s) when it was actually happening or caused discomfort. It's possible, if her feet are slow growing(from previous ill health/diet) that the actual lami 'event' happened prior to you getting her too. Lameness often only tends to happen in acute or chronic lami, as does bounding pulse, stance, etc.
     
    06-01-2011, 12:43 AM
  #10
Weanling
Quote:
Originally Posted by loosie    
Because 'sub clinical' laminitis may be very mild or short lived, so you may have missed the day(s) when it was actually happening or caused discomfort.
"Subclinical" means there are no clinical signs/symptoms detectable, therefore one would most certainly "miss" it.
     

Quick Reply
Please help keep the Horse Forum enjoyable by reporting rude posts.
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Horse Forum forums, you must first register.

Already have a Horse Forum account?
Members are allowed only one account per person at the Horse Forum, so if you've made an account here in the past you'll need to continue using that account. Please do not create a new account or you may lose access to the Horse Forum. If you need help recovering your existing account, please Contact Us. We'll be glad to help!

New to the Horse Forum?
Please choose a username you will be satisfied with using for the duration of your membership at the Horse Forum. We do not change members' usernames upon request because that would make it difficult for everyone to keep track of who is who on the forum. For that reason, please do not incorporate your horse's name into your username so that you are not stuck with a username related to a horse you may no longer have some day, or use any other username you may no longer identify with or care for in the future.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


Old Thread Warning
This thread is more than 90 days old. When a thread is this old, it is often better to start a new thread rather than post to it. However, If you feel you have something of value to add to this particular thread, you can do so by checking the box below before submitting your post.

Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
the lord of the rings tawariel Movies, Music, and TV 4 03-01-2009 11:42 AM
should i try rings/martingale? jazzyrider Horse Training 11 08-11-2008 12:54 PM



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:21 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0