Oops, wasn't done yet.....
Anyway, I found that to be true. One thing to look for is bales with a soft core. They tend to breathe better and most likely are not moldy.
Main problem with round bales us, due to their size, if there is just a little bit of not dry enough hay in it it will get hot and burn a good portion. Or go flat out moldy. Now the slightly "burned" hay still smells good, a bit like tea, and horses like it. But when it comes to a certain point that hay makes even me cough.
I've worked with roundbales for the last 20 years and have learned the hard way (COPD horse) to not just throw the bale in. I fed it, after careful inspection, in portions.
If its moldy, you'll see and smell it, when open, but the mold spores go in and out of the moldy spot for at least 5".
Having a horse who is already prone to allergies, I wouldn't even consider it.
There is a possibility now tho, I didn't have in all these years. Slow feeder round bale nets. That way she can pull out only a little at a time and not bury her nose in it. And users say it gets thin horses to gain and overweight horses to loose, if that would be a concern.
If you can reach in the bale on several places and pull out a strand and smell it and it smells sweet, you might have a good one.....
Another problem is if it's bad, you'll have to most likely throw away the whole bale which is a big cost factor.
I do have to state, good roundbale hay is way better for horses than the crushed or chopped small bale hay. Longer stem, more chewing time. But, it's a risk.
I know for sure some people will say that they have fed roundbales and never had any problems Posted via Mobile Device