Recently one of the horses in the barn I work at and board my horse at had to be put to sleep because of salmonella poisoning. Now I was very worried about my horse because I thought salmonella poisoning for horses was the same as humans. So I did some research and found out it wasnt the same as human in the mean time I ended up getting sort of confused. How do they get it? I heard its carried from one horse to another, so should I be worried about my horse? I also read that its a bacteria that doesnt take effect suddenly...it lies dormant, so how can you tell if a horse has it or not?
Another question I have is the horse's body was left in the stall for at least 24 hours.The horse was put to sleep on Monday evening and was still there on Tuesday evening, I havent been out to the barn today but Im hopeing the body was taken. Could any harmful bacteria get into the air. I mean once I walked into the barn the next day I instantly smelled decaying body.
Thanks ahead of time :)