Sand Colic :( - Page 4
 
 

       The Horse Forum > Keeping and Caring for Horses > Horse Health

Sand Colic :(

This is a discussion on Sand Colic :( within the Horse Health forums, part of the Keeping and Caring for Horses category
  • Beet pulp pellets sand colic
  • Beet pulp metamucil for horses

Like Tree20Likes

 
LinkBack Thread Tools
    07-09-2012, 12:41 AM
  #31
Super Moderator
Maybe this has been mentioned/tried but have you tried syringing the metamucil into her, like it's dewormer? Just add some water to it, get it dissolved, etc. :)
That might get something into her, at least, and maybe things would start moving along... :/
Posted via Mobile Device
     
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
    07-09-2012, 12:58 AM
  #32
Foal
How is your horse doing tonight? I hope that she is eating something by now...if not, you really have to go out there and try anything and everything you can to get something in her to move things along. I don't want to scare you, but this is a very serious situation, especially since she is rolling...you really need a vet out there if at all possible...if not, forget about trying to get her to eat the psyllium...must taste bad because many horses will not eat it... if she like apples? Or carrots? Cut them up and use a blender? Or chopper? And grind them up...when you do that, take a small amount out to her and offer it, if she even nibbles...mix in a big capful of metamucil and offer a small amt again in your hand... if she takes that,get her to eat at least a handful or so...a little is better than nothing... then soak some beet pulp(with molasses tastes better) in apple juice, take a handful of that to her and offer it...if she at least nibbles on it mix all four together and feed her a handful at a time...if she at least gets a handfull every 15 to 30 mins you may be able to make some progress... and at this point you should keep her moving...walk, walk, walk as much as possible until you either get the vet out or she passes some poop.... my prayers are with her.... I lost my first horse to colic many years ago and (knock on wood) after much research have never had another colic again thanks to beet pulp and metamucil.....
     
    07-09-2012, 01:00 AM
  #33
Yearling
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wallaby    
Maybe this has been mentioned/tried but have you tried syringing the metamucil into her, like it's dewormer? Just add some water to it, get it dissolved, etc. :)
That might get something into her, at least, and maybe things would start moving along... :/
Posted via Mobile Device
This to is a good idea! Did the vet give her any banamine? Banamine may make her feel well enough to eat the mix. I would def be concerned that the first vet did not tube. Most horses pull through colic. But, it is one of those things that can get ugly really fast!
Posted via Mobile Device
Oldhorselady likes this.
     
    07-09-2012, 01:31 AM
  #34
Weanling
Quote:
Originally Posted by paintedpastures    
Will she eat soaked beet pulp??it is great to mix stuff in like your metamucil My horses all love beet pulp but several of them aren't fussy about alfalfa pellets. The ones that do eat them have to be pretty hungry too,so if they were sick feeling like your mare,don't think they would eat them either
i asked the vet when he was out yesterday about giving her soaked beet pulp because she used to get that on a regular basis before I began boarding her. He told me not to feed her any beet pulp because it will plug her up.
     
    07-09-2012, 01:32 AM
  #35
Weanling
Quote:
Originally Posted by Back2Horseback    
I am following your thread and just wanted you to know how much I am praying for her to begin eating any of the possible regiments, either vet prescribed or forum-member suggested. Just to get things moving through...I don't know much about sand colic; but after reading this, I fully intend to do my research!

If I should come across anything not already mentioned here in my reading tonight, I will most certainly pass it on, fwiw.

Again, prayers for you and your sweet horse...
Posted via Mobile Device
thank you for your prayers! I am reading and researching as much as I can on sand colic hoping to find something that will work for her.

Thank you so much
     
    07-09-2012, 01:33 AM
  #36
Weanling
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wallaby    
Maybe this has been mentioned/tried but have you tried syringing the metamucil into her, like it's dewormer? Just add some water to it, get it dissolved, etc. :)
That might get something into her, at least, and maybe things would start moving along... :/
Posted via Mobile Device
i was going to mention trying that to my BO tomorrow to see what she thinks.

I haven't tried that yet only because I had read somewhere that if its really liquidy she could end up breathing it in and causing a whole mess of problems.

Anyone else have thoughts on this idea?
     
    07-09-2012, 01:37 AM
  #37
Weanling
Quote:
Originally Posted by ljazwinski    
how is your horse doing tonight? I hope that she is eating something by now...if not, you really have to go out there and try anything and everything you can to get something in her to move things along. I don't want to scare you, but this is a very serious situation, especially since she is rolling...you really need a vet out there if at all possible...if not, forget about trying to get her to eat the psyllium...must taste bad because many horses will not eat it... if she like apples? Or carrots? Cut them up and use a blender? Or chopper? And grind them up...when you do that, take a small amount out to her and offer it, if she even nibbles...mix in a big capful of metamucil and offer a small amt again in your hand... if she takes that,get her to eat at least a handful or so...a little is better than nothing... then soak some beet pulp(with molasses tastes better) in apple juice, take a handful of that to her and offer it...if she at least nibbles on it mix all four together and feed her a handful at a time...if she at least gets a handfull every 15 to 30 mins you may be able to make some progress... and at this point you should keep her moving...walk, walk, walk as much as possible until you either get the vet out or she passes some poop.... my prayers are with her.... I lost my first horse to colic many years ago and (knock on wood) after much research have never had another colic again thanks to beet pulp and metamucil.....

She has not eaten more than a few nibbles since yesterday :( I tried feeding her regular carrots and tried making a mash out of carrots as well but she simply was not interested.

As far as beet pulp the vet yesterday specifically told me not to feed soaked beet pulp because it could plug her up.

I spent all day today walking her and keeping her on her feet. She did poop a total of 3 times today... all of them had a fairly normal consistency (one was a little more runny than the others)

I plan to get a second opinion tomorrow if she is still unwilling to eat.
     
    07-09-2012, 01:38 AM
  #38
Weanling
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowgirl140ty    
This to is a good idea! Did the vet give her any banamine? Banamine may make her feel well enough to eat the mix. I would def be concerned that the first vet did not tube. Most horses pull through colic. But, it is one of those things that can get ugly really fast!
Posted via Mobile Device

The vet gave me a bottle of Dipyrone to give her to make her more comfortable.

I'm a bit concerned why he didn't tube her after he told me that "she is loaded with sand"....
     
    07-09-2012, 01:38 AM
  #39
Started
Quote:
Originally Posted by loveyourhorse    
i asked the vet when he was out yesterday about giving her soaked beet pulp because she used to get that on a regular basis before I began boarding her. He told me not to feed her any beet pulp because it will plug her up.
Well that news to me....Never known it to be a bunger-upper Then again I don't have alot of faith in much this vet has told you....
     
    07-09-2012, 01:41 AM
  #40
Yearling
If you're that worried about her inhaling the medication, how on earth do you give her worming and other medications that involve a syringe? At some point that or a tube may be the only solution :/
     

Quick Reply
Please help keep the Horse Forum enjoyable by reporting rude posts.
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Horse Forum forums, you must first register.

Already have a Horse Forum account?
Members are allowed only one account per person at the Horse Forum, so if you've made an account here in the past you'll need to continue using that account. Please do not create a new account or you may lose access to the Horse Forum. If you need help recovering your existing account, please Contact Us. We'll be glad to help!

New to the Horse Forum?
Please choose a username you will be satisfied with using for the duration of your membership at the Horse Forum. We do not change members' usernames upon request because that would make it difficult for everyone to keep track of who is who on the forum. For that reason, please do not incorporate your horse's name into your username so that you are not stuck with a username related to a horse you may no longer have some day, or use any other username you may no longer identify with or care for in the future.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


Old Thread Warning
This thread is more than 90 days old. When a thread is this old, it is often better to start a new thread rather than post to it. However, If you feel you have something of value to add to this particular thread, you can do so by checking the box below before submitting your post.

Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Preventing sand colic? Cali Horse Health 7 04-08-2011 02:12 AM
Sand colic manca Horse Health 1 03-27-2011 01:27 PM
Sand Colic ChingazMyBoy Horse Health 12 11-09-2009 05:57 AM
Sand colic!! Help!! luvsmygirls Horse Health 5 09-18-2009 07:40 PM
sand colic angie22d Horse Health 3 09-12-2009 01:36 PM



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:39 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0