Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Outside of Oklahoma City
"Then the noises started. Very loud gurgling noises coming from her neck with her swallowing frantically."
That bothers the crap out of me...I wanna know what makes it!
If I had a dime for everytime one of my horses choked...ugh.
I have bad luck with that one.
My vet has pretty much given me instructions on how to help them get it out on their own. And, it's worked for me everytime. (My vet lives a good 45 min away). I just half to keep them walking, let them stand everynow and then to try and cough it up, constantly rubbing their throat by their jaw bone. Kinda grosses me out when it comes up through their nose...ugh!
My gelding Rebel was just way too excited at feeding time, would chow half of it down in a split second, then I would have to work for an hour for him to get it back up. He choked maybe 8 times.
My mare Dream has choked on me 3 times, and she makes it super dramatic (this horse has the lowest pain tollerance...she was lame for a month because of a bee sting.). Once was during the 4th of July, she got nervous with the fireworks going off and I guess she ate too quick.
Rosie half-way choked on me...she stopped eating for about 5 minutes, gave a big cough, then kept eating.
Then, there was Mango...he choked on me about 5 times, just getting too excited. We put rocks in his feed to slow him down, but he learned to pick them up and take them out. Normaly, we would wet his food down, but my mom forgot once, and he choked very bad. The vet tubed him, and when he brought the tube back up, there was some blood on the end. Mango got weaker and weaker, and by Monday (this happened on a Saturday night), Mango had lost his battle and suffocated on his own blood...:(
Be wary of the horse with a sense of humour. - Pam Brown