Here's my story of my horse that coliced...and had surgery because of it. But before that, Banamine does not make the colic go away....it makes the pain go away. If you give Banamine, your horse gets comfortable....wait for 3 hours and see what happens. If symptoms come back....get the vet or your horse TO a vet. It only masks the pain but does nothing for the colic itself.
OK...my horse Sidney coliced twice.....In July, two years apart, but the very same week each time. We were at an AQHA show, and I was in the warm up pen after a class getting ready to ride back to out stalls, and he started pawing. He's not a horse that paws so I thought it strange, maybe he had to pee. Go to the stalls, untack, and then turn him loose in his stall, he just stands there. So we keep an eye on him for a bit, my trainer gives him some Banamine. Then a few hours later, he's down in his stall, almost cast...so we get him up and start walking him. He's a little lethargic but we could tell he was in pain. Luckily one of the other trainer has a vet who is a client, he checks him out and says get him to Tufts which is over an hour away. We get to Tufts, try jogging him....still not working. They then roll him...nothing, so they said he would need surgery and I said YES, there was no question. He had a nephrosplenic entrapment....there is a small gap held with a muscle between his kidnkey and spleen, and part of his intestines were caught in that gap. So they opened him up and everything "righted" itself....10 day hospital stay.
Fast forward to 2 years later in July to the same week. My trainer leaves for an APHA show and I'm in charge of the barn. Sidney is turned out, and when my trainer is driving away, I see Sidney standing at his gate pawing. I'm like....oh no, here we go again. So I bring him in and it was deja vu, same look on his face, breathing just a little hard. I call my trainer, he said give him Banamine and then wait a couple hours. If he's not better, call the vet. So I do that, he's quiet, 2 hours later, symptoms come back, vet comes right out and checks him out...and says...get him to Tufts. So we get him there immediately, and the bumpy ride must have helped this time...because he was headed to another entrapment that never quite took hold, 3 day hospital stay. Things in their bellies just kind of float around with nothing holding anything together really EXCEPT that small muscle in that gap.
Both times I truly believe it was caused by the atmosphere and barometric pressure as we had some pretty good thunderstorms. So....every July, I keep a VERY close eye on him!