Originally Posted by Peggysue
scratches are a bacteria or fungus that are on all horses skin. Good diet and strong immune system will stop a horse from getting it .. the bacteria will enter thur any opening in the skin and develope on a horse with compromised immune system
Keeping them as clean and dry as possible is said to help
I don't think diet has anything to do with it. I have 4 horses all eating the same thing all getting the same health care but only one gets scratches. If it was bad diet or lack of care I would think they would all have it. Since all my horses are kept to the best of my ability I doubt its that.
My Vet told me to just keep her off the wet grass, and keep a waterproof anti fungal on it. I did that and she hasn't had a case since.