SEVERLY starved horse, need help with food ASAP - Page 2
   

       The Horse Forum > Keeping and Caring for Horses > Horse Health

SEVERLY starved horse, need help with food ASAP

This is a discussion on SEVERLY starved horse, need help with food ASAP within the Horse Health forums, part of the Keeping and Caring for Horses category

     
    LinkBack Thread Tools
        11-10-2008, 12:47 AM
      #11
    Started
    My sisters horse was severly under weight when we got him. You could count all his ribs...he looked horrible. Weve been feeding this horse grain and hay for several months now and he is steadily gaining weight. He still needs to gain some...but he doesnt look like a skeleton anymore! Anyway we were advised to be patient....dont try to rush with the adding weight. Theres no telling how long the horse was starved and there is no quick fix. Just keep on feeding him...he will gain it back and look great. Im so glad you are helping that horse!!!!
         
    Sponsored Links
    Advertisement
     
        11-10-2008, 01:51 AM
      #12
    Green Broke
    My horses always liked a bucket of warm water when it is cold
    Outside and would drink it willingly. In cold weather they drink less
         
        11-10-2008, 01:58 AM
      #13
    Weanling
    As far as the alfalfa cubes go...soak them in water till they are mushy, he will happily eat them then! When I use to feed alfalfa cubes they would not touch alfalfa cubes unless they were soaked in water to soften them up. The cubes are made up of very small pieces and often get jammed into their gums while eating them causing most horses to become discouraged with them and not want to eat them because they hurt their mouth.
         
        11-10-2008, 09:16 PM
      #14
    Trained
    Just Us -- sounds like you are on top of things. Keep up the good work!

    Regal Charm -- funny -- my horses drink MORE when it's very cold or, of course, when it's very hot. We are not in a humid climate here though and in the winter, the air is very dry.
         
        11-10-2008, 09:57 PM
      #15
    Green Broke
    Small meals often - also, a nice winter blanket will help him stay warm
         
        11-11-2008, 07:28 AM
      #16
    Green Broke
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by RegalCharm    
    My horses always liked a bucket of warm water when it is cold
    Outside and would drink it willingly. In cold weather they drink less
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by northernmama    
    Just Us -- sounds like you are on top of things. Keep up the good work!

    Regal Charm -- funny -- my horses drink MORE when it's very cold or, of course, when it's very hot. We are not in a humid climate here though and in the winter, the air is very dry.

    I should have explained in more detail, Horses in general will not drink as much when it is cold. Which can be a bad thing. And I supplimented with warm water when they were brought in at night. I have watched my big gelding suck down almost 5gal as soon as the bucket was put in front of him. And they had automatic waterers in the fields.
         
        11-11-2008, 01:18 PM
      #17
    Foal
    I love hearing stories of folks taking in a starved horse and making them happy!I had to also but he was just underweight not starved.Good for you.
    And every time I read these posts I learn more, like the warm water bit in the winter.Im thinking of getting a heater for our water supply to avoid freezing at least.
    And soaking the cubes, never knew that.I have a bag I bought for my rabbits, but they don't eat that many so I give them out for treats sometimes to the horses.I may start soaking some to use up the rest of the bag, not sure how long they keep.
         
        11-11-2008, 01:48 PM
      #18
    Trained
    Hey Where in Canada are you? I have this great food that is sold in Alberta, I will check if it's sold else where. It has oats, dried molasses, peas and flax seed and has all the vitamins and minerals added in. It's AWESOME feed. My horses were always in great shape but since I started this new food they look amazing!!
         
        11-11-2008, 01:55 PM
      #19
    Trained
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by RegalCharm    
    I should have explained in more detail, Horses in general will not drink as much when it is cold. Which can be a bad thing. And I supplimented with warm water when they were brought in at night. I have watched my big gelding suck down almost 5gal as soon as the bucket was put in front of him. And they had automatic waterers in the fields.
    Ah -- that makes sense. I have a floating tank warmer in my trough.
         
        11-11-2008, 03:32 PM
      #20
    Started
    CRACKED CORN!!!

    And supplements.
    And endless supply of hay
         

    Thread Tools

    Similar Threads
    Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
    What is the strangest food that your horse have been eaten? DutchHorse Horse Talk 39 11-26-2008 08:47 PM
    Horse pushy for food.... melinda27858 Horse Talk 15 02-06-2008 10:17 PM
    New Horse, Food Stubborn NJ02Z71 Horse Training 6 05-10-2007 03:16 PM



    All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:52 AM.


    Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
    Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
    Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0