To shoe or not to shoe....... - Page 2
   

       The Horse Forum > Keeping and Caring for Horses > Horse Health

To shoe or not to shoe.......

This is a discussion on To shoe or not to shoe....... within the Horse Health forums, part of the Keeping and Caring for Horses category
  • Types of shoes for horses borim
  • Does shoeing horses cause them to cripple

 
LinkBack Thread Tools
    12-26-2009, 01:59 PM
  #11
Foal
I am dealing with a similar situation. I can't seem to keep the wall to be able to grow down before it starts peeling back and breaking off again. This started happening for my horse in September. We were diligent about trimmings and seemed to be doing great .. barefoot. However, 2 days ago he is starting to really tear them apart again. My farrier is coming this week to re-assess him.

I think in my situaion I will either shorten my trimming cycles to every 4 weeks, or some type of GLUE ON shoe. Might my pricey but I will not put nails in his hooves with the way they are now, the whole hoof might just fall apart. So I will discuss my situaion with my farrier but it may be an option for you aswell. Best of luck.

-Kristin
     
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
    12-26-2009, 03:06 PM
  #12
Yearling
Thanks for your input everyone. I have been finding this a very frustrating subject because there are two very distinct camps. I have a barefoot guy I have used for years, I really like his trims, generally I would say he does good work. Ofcourse he firmly believes that shoeing my horse will create more problems. In my region there is one farrier that comes highly recommended who I have spoken to and ofcourse HE firmly believes that shoeing will fix my problem. I just want whats best for my horse.

Maybe I should look at this as a seasonal issue. At the moment we are coming into summer, the ground is hardening up. The tracks that I ride on are becoming rock hard and I have to take Phoenix down a gravel road at the start of each ride. I had been considering shoeing her anyway simply because we do have to spend time on a gravel road and the stones are very sharp. I actually never ride her and prefer to lead her on this particular road. I am wondering if having her barefoot on such sharp stones has been the start of the problem as the stones are so sharp they get wedged between the wall and sole of her feet. Maybe this could be contributing to the chalkiness.

As I said I am pretty on top of the seedy toe infection, it has been treated with copper sulphate, iodine and I am applying stockholm tar everyday. The farrier I would use to shoe will hot shoe, maybe it is worth doing just to see what happens. I can have the shoes removed if it causes more problems right?
     
    12-26-2009, 03:15 PM
  #13
Foal
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwigirl    
Thanks for your input everyone. I have been finding this a very frustrating subject because there are two very distinct camps. I have a barefoot guy I have used for years, I really like his trims, generally I would say he does good work. Ofcourse he firmly believes that shoeing my horse will create more problems. In my region there is one farrier that comes highly recommended who I have spoken to and ofcourse HE firmly believes that shoeing will fix my problem. I just want whats best for my horse.

Maybe I should look at this as a seasonal issue. At the moment we are coming into summer, the ground is hardening up. The tracks that I ride on are becoming rock hard and I have to take Phoenix down a gravel road at the start of each ride. I had been considering shoeing her anyway simply because we do have to spend time on a gravel road and the stones are very sharp. I actually never ride her and prefer to lead her on this particular road. I am wondering if having her barefoot on such sharp stones has been the start of the problem as the stones are so sharp they get wedged between the wall and sole of her feet. Maybe this could be contributing to the chalkiness.

As I said I am pretty on top of the seedy toe infection, it has been treated with copper sulphate, iodine and I am applying stockholm tar everyday. The farrier I would use to shoe will hot shoe, maybe it is worth doing just to see what happens. I can have the shoes removed if it causes more problems right?
Anyway you could post some pictures of the hooves?
     
    12-26-2009, 03:22 PM
  #14
Showing
I would stay away from shoeing as much as possible. Not that there is anything wrong with it, but it is not only more economical, but it also allows your horse to keep a more natural hoof and in a lot of instances makes it stronger as well.
     
    12-26-2009, 03:47 PM
  #15
Weanling
Quote:
Originally Posted by RiosDad    
How is going barefoot going to teach me about FOOD??
Instead of RESPECT don't you mean Compromise???

Can't ride here because my horse is too tender for all that rock??
Can't ride there because it snowed last night forming ice and I will slip??
NOthing but compromises.
I'd have to disagree with this statement, but first off I have to say that I am neither for or against shoeing. It varies from horse to horse and is not a black and white issue. However, having shoes does not mean that a rock will not wedge itself in the grooves along the frog when riding on rocky ground, so it is not advisable to do so even with shoes. Also, barefoot horses will build up ice rims on their feet which actually gives them better grip on the ice than a shod horse. There are some horses at the barn where I work that have normal shoes on right now and I am always afraid that they are going to cripple themselves someday in the paddock or coming in to the barn where it is all ice. Of course, you can always go the borium or stud root, but I am guessing that you are still not going to want to risk riding your horse over ice. Also, there are drawbacks to these methods such as the added damage that a horse can do to another horse or a human with studs in their feet, and the possibility of injury if the shoe provides too much grip that it strains a tendon while the horse is playing outside.

To the OP, is it a possibility that you could move the horse to a drier paddock? It seems like fixing the root cause would be the best solution. Maybe even ordering a load of stonedust and creating a dry area in the paddock that the horse can stand on would give him escape from the moisture and allow his hooves to firm up. Also, I would suggest that you talk to a reliable farrier that does BOTH barefoot and shod trims that way the opinion is not biased. Getting as many opinions as you can is also a sound piece of advice for a situation like this.
     
    12-26-2009, 04:55 PM
  #16
Yearling
Pics of Phoenix's feet. Hopefully they will give you all something to work with.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg hoof 1 compressed.jpg (71.4 KB, 82 views)
File Type: jpg hoof 2 compressed.jpg (77.8 KB, 75 views)
File Type: jpg hoof 3 compressed.jpg (95.2 KB, 69 views)
File Type: jpg hoof 4 compressed.jpg (125.0 KB, 70 views)
     
    12-26-2009, 06:03 PM
  #17
Banned
After looking at the pictures I would definitely get the horse shod. It also looks like it is overdue for a trim.
All farrier trim as well as shoe and probably half the horses on his books are barefoot.
     
    12-26-2009, 06:09 PM
  #18
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScharmLily    
Also, barefoot horses will build up ice rims on their feet which actually gives them better grip on the ice than a shod horse. There are some horses at the barn where I work that have normal shoes on right now and I am always afraid that they are going to cripple themselves someday in the paddock or coming in to the barn where it is all ice. .
No horse should be shod with plain steel shoes in the winter. All shod horses require either borim, drill tec or studs along with rim pads or full pads. A properly shod horse can run over anything.
I live in snow country and for 4 months we have snow and ice, lots of ice. Some of the best riding is running over groomed snowmobile trails. They are covered in ice because they are packed and have lots of ice, glare at times and properly shod you can maintain a sharp trot or laid back lope over slick ice with NO problems. So far I have never had a horse go down on ice.
Just putting the barefoot horses out mornings is a chore and risky from the way they try to keep their footing. Our stud went down hard last year while being led into the barn while I have never seen one of the shod horses fall, never.


As for the added traction of borium or studs harming a tendon better get yourself a tougher horse.
     
    12-26-2009, 06:13 PM
  #19
Foal
Quote:
Originally Posted by RiosDad    
How is going barefoot going to teach me about FOOD??
Instead of RESPECT don't you mean Compromise???

Can't ride here because my horse is too tender for all that rock??
Can't ride there because it snowed last night forming ice and I will slip??
NOthing but compromises.
If ur horse gets food who has a lot of sugar in it, you might see he gets sore if he is barefoot. But that will not shows if he is shod. Just an example. Im not good at writing english, but I try.
     
    12-26-2009, 06:21 PM
  #20
Foal
Quote:
Originally Posted by RiosDad    
after looking at the pictures I would definitely get the horse shod. It also looks like it is overdue for a trim.
All farrier trim as well as shoe and probably half the horses on his books are barefoot.
I disagree with this comment.

I mean that you can have the horse without shoe if you get an educated barefoottrimmer to trim his feet. I you look at the shape, you will see that the hooves are wide and round, just as a barefoothoof should be (at least the front feets). I see also cracks at the bottom on the hoof, but that is because the horse has started to trim his feet by himself.

My best advice for you to get a well-functioning barefoothorse is to gravel up a paddock or a fencing and let the horse walk on this to stimulate the blood circulation in the hoof. Then you will see that the sole are getting more concave over time and he will be usable on all substrates.
     

Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Shoe poll 1dog3cats17rodents Horse Health 11 09-19-2009 07:10 PM
Shoe problem wildfirexx Horse Health 20 07-24-2009 09:12 PM
shoe name for my new horse morganshow11 Horse Shows 13 06-25-2009 07:15 PM
To shoe or not to shoe? eclecticstar Horse Health 49 02-08-2009 07:59 PM
To shoe or not to shoe? RedHawk Horse Health 10 10-10-2008 11:41 AM



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:37 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0