Shoe problem
   

       The Horse Forum > Keeping and Caring for Horses > Horse Health

Shoe problem

This is a discussion on Shoe problem within the Horse Health forums, part of the Keeping and Caring for Horses category
  • Gap between hoof and shoe
  • Use in gap between shoe and hoof

 
LinkBack Thread Tools
    07-18-2009, 05:53 PM
  #1
Foal
Shoe problem

My mare's shoe is like a little pulled apart from the hoof wall on one side. But it doesn't feel loose, its not feeling like its going to come off and it isn't hurting her, there's just a gap between her hoof and the shoe. Is this a problem? Or can it wait until the next farrier visit (which is in like...5 weeks). I was planning on going on a trail ride tomorrow...
     
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
    07-18-2009, 06:15 PM
  #2
Green Broke
With a gap, my concern (especially with a trail ride) would be having something become lodged in there and causing an issue.
     
    07-20-2009, 08:07 PM
  #3
Yearling
Your shoe is sprung. The only thing you can do is have it pulled, reshaped, and tacked back on. I personally would get it fixed ASAP so your horse doesnt misstep, or strain something because its not placed how its supposed to be. (im not sure how active you are or how intence you ride, im speaking from racing them)
     
    07-20-2009, 10:44 PM
  #4
Foal
I agree. If you had some nippers and an easy boot, i'd sya just take it off yourself and put the boot on, ride, and get the farrier there as soon as you can
     
    07-21-2009, 10:42 PM
  #5
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by katybear985    
i agree. If you had some nippers and an easy boot, i'd sya just take it off yourself and put the boot on, ride, and get the farrier there as soon as you can
You can't just pull the shoe off with nippers. The clinches are still done up and if you just try pulling the shoe off you could take a piece of the hoof wall with it.
You should get the farrier back out, he will remove the shoe, straighten it on the anvil and put it back using the same nail holes.
     
    07-22-2009, 11:50 AM
  #6
mls
Trained
Quote:
Originally Posted by RiosDad    
You can't just pull the shoe off with nippers. The clinches are still done up and if you just try pulling the shoe off you could take a piece of the hoof wall with it.
You should get the farrier back out, he will remove the shoe, straighten it on the anvil and put it back using the same nail holes.
We use the nippers to pull shoes. Pinch the nail between the shoe and the hoof.

The farrier needs to use the best spot to position the nails. More than likely not the same holes unless the shoe was just put on.
     
    07-22-2009, 12:35 PM
  #7
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by mls    
We use the nippers to pull shoes. Pinch the nail between the shoe and the hoof.

The farrier needs to use the best spot to position the nails. More than likely not the same holes unless the shoe was just put on.
I have been shoing for 23 years and I never never pull the shoes without cutting the clinches first.. Just prying the shoe off with the nippers could tear out a chunk of hoof as well.
     
    07-22-2009, 12:57 PM
  #8
mls
Trained
Quote:
Originally Posted by RiosDad    
I have been shoing for 23 years and I never never pull the shoes without cutting the clinches first.. Just prying the shoe off with the nippers could tear out a chunk of hoof as well.
We do it the way our farrier of 22 years has taught us. If the shoe is stubborn or only slightly bent, we file the nails to assist in loosening the shoe.

We've never ripped hoof wall off.
     
    07-22-2009, 01:25 PM
  #9
Showing
I think you guys are saying the same thing. Removing the cinch before removing the shoe.
     
    07-22-2009, 10:36 PM
  #10
Yearling
Hmm, I have no idea how you even go about removing a clinch. We nail on the shoe, clinch them over, and rasp them off. We just use pullers and pull of the shoe, it never pulls any hoof wall off....
     

Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
shoe name for my new horse morganshow11 Horse Shows 13 06-25-2009 07:15 PM
To shoe or not to shoe? eclecticstar Horse Health 49 02-08-2009 07:59 PM
Shoe Question KatieStanley Horse Health 5 11-25-2008 04:51 PM
To shoe or not to shoe? RedHawk Horse Health 10 10-10-2008 11:41 AM
shoe or no shoes? ToY.. Horse Health 13 08-17-2008 10:03 PM



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:56 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0