Shoe problem - Page 2 - The Horse Forum

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 21 Old 07-23-2009, 08:10 AM
Banned
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: ontario, canada
Posts: 1,566
• Horses: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlmagroN View Post
hmm, I have no idea how you even go about removing a clinch. We nail on the shoe, clinch them over, and rasp them off. We just use pullers and pull of the shoe, it never pulls any hoof wall off....
The purpose of a clinch is to prevent the nail from pulling out. When you clinch a nail you do NOT rasp it off. You only rasp it smooth so it doesn't catch anything. A light rasp only. You do not want to weaken it.
When the farrier removes the shoe he first either cuts the clinch with a clinch cutter or rasps them off. This is done to allow the nail to be pulled out cleanly through the hole.
If the clinch is not cut there is a chance with a low nail of actually pulling a big chunk of hoof wall off with the nail.
An amature just using a set of pinchers and prying the shoe off runs the risk of tearing a chunk of hoof wall off causing even more problems.
If the clinches are cut the nail comes out smoothly.
Besides cutting the clinches I prefer to remove one nail at a time and not just wrench the shoe off.
RiosDad is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #12 of 21 Old 07-23-2009, 08:10 AM
Showing
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Greenville area / SC
Posts: 13,165
• Horses: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlmagroN View Post
rasp them off.
That's how it's done. Once the cinch is removed the nail can come out without bringing hoof wall with it.

Rio, rasping the head off is basically what I think Almagro is saying. It's the same as removing the head of a nail so that it can be driven through a piece of wood.

I'm not arguing with you, I'm just explaining why I'm right.

Nothing sucks more than that moment during an argument when you realize you're wrong.


It's not always what you say but what they hear.

Last edited by iridehorses; 07-23-2009 at 08:14 AM.
iridehorses is offline  
post #13 of 21 Old 07-23-2009, 08:20 AM
Showing
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Greenville area / SC
Posts: 13,165
• Horses: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by RiosDad View Post
The purpose of a clinch is to prevent the nail from pulling out. When you clinch a nail you do NOT rasp it off.
When the farrier removes the shoe he first either cuts the clinch with a clinch cutter or rasps them off. This is done to allow the nail to be pulled out cleanly through the hole. .
Not very clear I'm afraid. The idea that I think you are trying to get across is that you can rasp just the cinch (or cut it if possible) but not the rest of the nail.

I'm not arguing with you, I'm just explaining why I'm right.

Nothing sucks more than that moment during an argument when you realize you're wrong.


It's not always what you say but what they hear.
iridehorses is offline  
post #14 of 21 Old 07-23-2009, 09:12 AM
Banned
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: ontario, canada
Posts: 1,566
• Horses: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by iridehorses View Post
Not very clear I'm afraid. The idea that I think you are trying to get across is that you can rasp just the cinch (or cut it if possible) but not the rest of the nail.
You do NOT rasp a nail head off. It is buried in the crease of the shoe and is not accessable to a rasp. The clinch is that little shiny thing you see bent over when the nail exits through the hoof wall. This is called a clinch. It is just a bending over of the nail. It is about 1/8th by 1/8th and sits slightly inside the hoof wall. This is what prevents the nail from being pulled out.
Agian you can not rasp a nail head off. You can only rasp the clinch off to make pulling the nail easier and prevent damage to the hoof wall.
RiosDad is offline  
post #15 of 21 Old 07-23-2009, 09:16 AM
Showing
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Greenville area / SC
Posts: 13,165
• Horses: 3
Exactly. It is the cinch that is rasped off, not the head. I'm not sure where the confusion over this comes from but I believe we are all talking about the cinch and not the nail head.

I'm not arguing with you, I'm just explaining why I'm right.

Nothing sucks more than that moment during an argument when you realize you're wrong.


It's not always what you say but what they hear.
iridehorses is offline  
post #16 of 21 Old 07-23-2009, 07:28 PM
Yearling
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: New York
Posts: 886
• Horses: 16
well I get what you're all saying. And im glad you know what I meant iridehorses. I don't know, maybe its different for our racehorses because I've never seen anyone do anything but just pull the shoe, and many of our farriers have years of experience and have gone through schooling.
AlmagroN is offline  
post #17 of 21 Old 07-24-2009, 11:37 AM
Yearling
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Texas
Posts: 989
• Horses: 2
posting askew.....

OP...I definitely wouldn't go on a trail ride. I'd call the farrier out ASAP. My horse once had that same issue and it took the farrier 2 days to get out there. By that time he had pulled it off more, stepped on it, and abscessed. At that point I went barefoot permanent because it was to much trouble.
hotreddun is offline  
post #18 of 21 Old 07-24-2009, 12:45 PM
Showing
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Greenville area / SC
Posts: 13,165
• Horses: 3
It's really a good idea to learn how to pull a loose shoe so that you need not wait for a farrier. (I say that but I still haven't taken my own advise [lol])

I'm not arguing with you, I'm just explaining why I'm right.

Nothing sucks more than that moment during an argument when you realize you're wrong.


It's not always what you say but what they hear.
iridehorses is offline  
post #19 of 21 Old 07-24-2009, 07:06 PM
Yearling
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: New York
Posts: 886
• Horses: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by iridehorses View Post
It's really a good idea to learn how to pull a loose shoe so that you need not wait for a farrier. (I say that but I still haven't taken my own advise [lol])
lol. Pulling a shoe is pretty easy. Im sure your farrier could show you next time
AlmagroN is offline  
post #20 of 21 Old 07-24-2009, 07:33 PM
Showing
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Greenville area / SC
Posts: 13,165
• Horses: 3
I know how to do it ... I just choose not to (LOL). I need to get a puller and a good rasp but with a riding partner who is a farrier, I've never needed to. That's not a good excuse but it works for me!!

I'm not arguing with you, I'm just explaining why I'm right.

Nothing sucks more than that moment during an argument when you realize you're wrong.


It's not always what you say but what they hear.
iridehorses is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the The Horse Forum forums, you must first register.

Already have a Horse Forum account?
Members are allowed only one account per person at the Horse Forum, so if you've made an account here in the past you'll need to continue using that account. Please do not create a new account or you may lose access to the Horse Forum. If you need help recovering your existing account, please Contact Us. We'll be glad to help!

New to the Horse Forum?
Please choose a username you will be satisfied with using for the duration of your membership at the Horse Forum. We do not change members' usernames upon request because that would make it difficult for everyone to keep track of who is who on the forum. For that reason, please do not incorporate your horse's name into your username so that you are not stuck with a username related to a horse you may no longer have some day, or use any other username you may no longer identify with or care for in the future.



User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


Old Thread Warning
This thread is more than 90 days old. When a thread is this old, it is often better to start a new thread rather than post to it. However, If you feel you have something of value to add to this particular thread, you can do so by checking the box below before submitting your post.

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
shoe name for my new horse morganshow11 Horse Shows 13 06-25-2009 07:15 PM
To shoe or not to shoe? eclecticstar Horse Health 49 02-08-2009 07:59 PM
Shoe Question KatieStanley Horse Health 5 11-25-2008 04:51 PM
To shoe or not to shoe? RedHawk Horse Health 10 10-10-2008 11:41 AM
shoe or no shoes? ToY.. Horse Health 13 08-17-2008 10:03 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome