short striding? Calling all lameness gurus!
   

       The Horse Forum > Keeping and Caring for Horses > Horse Health

short striding? Calling all lameness gurus!

This is a discussion on short striding? Calling all lameness gurus! within the Horse Health forums, part of the Keeping and Caring for Horses category
  • Short striding equine causes
  • Horse is short strided and lazy

Like Tree16Likes

 
LinkBack Thread Tools
    08-19-2013, 11:53 AM
  #1
Foal
short striding? Calling all lameness gurus!

So my new mare looks to be short strided
Yep, awesome.
Any opinions?
     
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
    08-19-2013, 12:22 PM
  #2
Green Broke
More details please.

How long have you had her?
How old is she?
What was she used for and what are you using her for?

I'm not a lameness expert by any means, but I don't see any lameness. She's a shorter-strided horse, so that looks to be just how she moves. She doesn't float. There might have been barely a head bob on one of two occasions, but certainly not a glaring lamenss at all.

Unless someone else can see something ......
blackdieselpony likes this.
     
    08-19-2013, 12:26 PM
  #3
Yearling
Doesn't look lame to me, just is acting a bit lazy.
blackdieselpony likes this.
     
    08-19-2013, 12:29 PM
  #4
Banned
Don't see any lameness she just looks lazy. She just has a natural short stride.
blackdieselpony likes this.
     
    08-19-2013, 12:46 PM
  #5
Super Moderator
Have to say, I don't see lameness either. Maybe you felt it more undersaddle. Her front stride is not big, and maybe she is a bit sore in her shoulders. But, she is has very short legs, a long body, built downhill and is going to move with this kind of short stride naturally. Could you post a video of her under saddle?

Does her saddle fit ok?
     
    08-19-2013, 01:03 PM
  #6
Green Broke
She doesn't look lame, but it looks like she may be landing toe first which can indicate heel pain. Any way you can take pictures of her feet?
Posted via Mobile Device
blackdieselpony likes this.
     
    08-19-2013, 01:10 PM
  #7
Yearling
I don't see any lameness either..
Posted via Mobile Device
blackdieselpony likes this.
     
    08-19-2013, 01:20 PM
  #8
Foal
Quote:
Originally Posted by beau159    
More details please.

How long have you had her?
How old is she?
What was she used for and what are you using her for?

I'm not a lameness expert by any means, but I don't see any lameness. She's a shorter-strided horse, so that looks to be just how she moves. She doesn't float. There might have been barely a head bob on one of two occasions, but certainly not a glaring lamenss at all.

Unless someone else can see something ......

Thanks this is a big relief, I have had her for 3 weeks and have put her under training 5 days a week I believe she may have gotten a stone bruise and is sore. We have done a lot of slow walk trot things Im going to give her a few days off and hope she gets better she just seems to be favoring her FL
     
    08-19-2013, 01:22 PM
  #9
Foal
Quote:
Originally Posted by xlionesss    
Doesn't look lame to me, just is acting a bit lazy.
she is moving slower than usual but she also doesn't know the girl in hand so is less responsive than she is with me.
xlionesss likes this.
     
    08-19-2013, 01:32 PM
  #10
Foal
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinyliny    
have to say, I don't see lameness either. Maybe you felt it more undersaddle. Her front stride is not big, and maybe she is a bit sore in her shoulders. But, she is has very short legs, a long body, built downhill and is going to move with this kind of short stride naturally. Could you post a video of her under saddle?

Does her saddle fit ok?
yes the saddle I have fits her great, I did work with her for a few days in a saddle that was my friends because I was considering purchasing it but it left a dry spot on her right shoulder.
     

Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Calling all bit gurus SEAmom Horse Tack and Equipment 5 03-22-2013 04:06 PM
7 y/o tb short striding jaytee Horse Health 4 01-16-2013 06:09 PM
Short Striding? Cowgirls Boots Horse Health 20 04-09-2012 08:26 PM
Short Striding Mare Shadow Puppet Horse Training 3 03-13-2012 11:34 AM
Short Striding At A Walk Only When Being Ridden? Raeraez Horse Health 7 06-03-2010 12:02 AM



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:51 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0