Slight cut near hock, issue and advice needed
 
 

       The Horse Forum > Keeping and Caring for Horses > Horse Health

Slight cut near hock, issue and advice needed

This is a discussion on Slight cut near hock, issue and advice needed within the Horse Health forums, part of the Keeping and Caring for Horses category
  • Open cuts on a horse's hock
  • Yellow discharge from cut horse

Like Tree1Likes

 
LinkBack Thread Tools
    04-18-2012, 11:28 AM
  #1
Weanling
Slight cut near hock, issue and advice needed

So I posted on Friday (I think it was friday) about my mare who had a slight, longish cut running just at her hock. I had wrapped it over night and then I was just using the ointment and using the alushield bandage on it (spray aluminum bandage). The problem is I'm having an impossible time keeping it clean. My acerage is not grassy, it's dirt. When she walks she kicks dirt up all onto her back legs. It's getting caught and even though I'm doing the liquid bandage, dirt is getting into the wound. I believe she's getting a slight infection now. I'm reluctant to call the vet as it really is a minor wound but I'm at a loss at the moment. I wanted to start wrapping it back up. I needed to clean her entire leg first and she's having none of it. The alushield stings so now she doesn't want me anywhere near her back leg. I couldn't get her to stand still if my life depended on it.
I'm wondering what your opinion on giving her calming paste so I can do this is. Should I just call the vet?
     
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
    04-18-2012, 01:04 PM
  #2
Weanling
32 people with no opinion?
     
    04-18-2012, 01:06 PM
  #3
Green Broke
What are you seeing that makes you think there is now infection present - fever, discharge, smell, heat, swelling? Can you post pictures of the wound on day 1 and now for comparison?
Once infection comes into play, I'm an "error on the side of caution" person as far as calling the vet.
     
    04-18-2012, 01:30 PM
  #4
Weanling
Quote:
Originally Posted by themacpack    
What are you seeing that makes you think there is now infection present - fever, discharge, smell, heat, swelling? Can you post pictures of the wound on day 1 and now for comparison?
Once infection comes into play, I'm an "error on the side of caution" person as far as calling the vet.
Discharge. A small amount of yellow liquid. Of course, this could be the cream I use, it's yellow, shedding off. It hasn't healed a single bit so I'm thinking it's not going well.

I'll happily call the vet if it's advised. I do feel like if I could just get her leg cleaned up and start wrapping it it'll heal.
     
    04-18-2012, 01:43 PM
  #5
Yearling
The yellow discharge is the wound draining, which is good. As long as it's not green/pus like with no heat and/or swelling she'll be fine. I'm on my phone so I can't post pics but in my barn under Chopper there are pics of a wound he had on his forearm. Large open wound, left it open and he healed beautifully.
Posted via Mobile Device
     
    04-18-2012, 01:45 PM
  #6
Started
I would suggest calling the vet, at least for advice. They may have an antibiotic cream they will suggest that they may be able to sell to you without a prescription (or farm call).
     
    04-18-2012, 01:54 PM
  #7
Green Broke
No heat, no swelling, I would clean it out and wrap it up.

Problem is your horse doesn't want to have anything to do with that..... I don't know if calming paste would be sufficient. Have you tried a hay bag? Sometimes a full mouth and an extra person to hold the horse and work on keeping them calm instead of tying them can make a world of difference.
     
    04-18-2012, 03:45 PM
  #8
Weanling
I tried a bucket of grain. No dice. I had someone holding her as well. I got her reasonably cleaned up but we couldn't get her wrapped, wouldn't stand still long enough.
She hasn't really been worked with. She's been at my property for about 2 months and is mainly a pasture pet. So, while she's relatively well mannered she's not used to standing to get stuff done to her like my gelding is.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delfina    
No heat, no swelling, I would clean it out and wrap it up.

Problem is your horse doesn't want to have anything to do with that..... I don't know if calming paste would be sufficient. Have you tried a hay bag? Sometimes a full mouth and an extra person to hold the horse and work on keeping them calm instead of tying them can make a world of difference.
     
    04-18-2012, 03:46 PM
  #9
Weanling
Thank you! That's encouraging!
Quote:
Originally Posted by kassierae    
The yellow discharge is the wound draining, which is good. As long as it's not green/pus like with no heat and/or swelling she'll be fine. I'm on my phone so I can't post pics but in my barn under Chopper there are pics of a wound he had on his forearm. Large open wound, left it open and he healed beautifully.
Posted via Mobile Device
     
    04-18-2012, 04:12 PM
  #10
Yearling
I personally wouldn't even wrap it. I generally dont't wrap unless the wound is really bad. Especially if it's draining nicely. What I would do though, is put vaseline underneath the wound if you can. This will prevent the drainage from "burning" the hair away.
Posted via Mobile Device
     

Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Sickle Hock Information Needed Stoddard Horse Health 3 03-11-2012 12:46 PM
Hock injury, advice? *pictures* New_image Horse Health 12 12-30-2011 10:51 AM
Bit Issue- Need advice Vogue24 Horse Tack and Equipment 4 10-27-2011 01:14 PM
Infamous Weight Gain Issue - Advice needed, PLEASE?!! OTTBLuv Horse Health 9 05-18-2011 09:27 PM
Hock Arthritis Info Needed Horsegma Horse Health 4 05-09-2010 04:11 PM



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:50 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0