Slimming down your horse
 
 

       The Horse Forum > Keeping and Caring for Horses > Horse Health

Slimming down your horse

This is a discussion on Slimming down your horse within the Horse Health forums, part of the Keeping and Caring for Horses category
  • Slimming down your horse
  • Slimming your horse

 
LinkBack Thread Tools
    05-18-2012, 08:54 PM
  #1
Foal
Slimming down your horse

So...looking at Romeo's old pics beside his newer ones lets me really see the difference in his body weight. Well, at least to me any way. I have seen people post pics of the horses gaining weight (when needed due to neglect) BUT....I have not seen anybody with pics when slimming their horse down.

It has been hard trying to get just the bit he has lost off. He is an extremely easy keeper. I swear this horse could breath and gain weight. But, we finally found a nice balance for him that is working great and he is slowly dropping pounds and starting to tone some of that flab.


Anybody have any pics for me???






     
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
    05-18-2012, 09:07 PM
  #2
Weanling
I tmay be how he's standing but he looks a bit camped under. Is he some kind of pony perhaps?

Besides being camped under in the back, he looks straight. His shoulder may be too sloped to my liking but that's just me. Do you have any hind and front pictures in there?
     
    05-18-2012, 09:23 PM
  #3
Trained
Yes, he's a chunky one isn't he? I think it's generally much harder to get a horse to lose weight that put it on, so just hang in there.

Re Bubble's comment, it could be as simple as those overlong toes causing issues.
     
    05-18-2012, 09:45 PM
  #4
Foal
Quote:
Originally Posted by loosie    
Yes, he's a chunky one isn't he? I think it's generally much harder to get a horse to lose weight that put it on, so just hang in there.

Re Bubble's comment, it could be as simple as those overlong toes causing issues.
Yes, his feet are "under construction" at the moment. Loosie should remember since they helped out with understanding my then farrier's not so great job and Romeo's super long toes. Thanks again btw Loosie

What I was told by previous owners was that he was a Morgan/draft mix....but who knows. He is only 15hh. I am not too concerned with what he is though.


And that's a big yep....he is chunky as all get out. Sad thing is that many horses around here seem to be his size or bigger (weight wise). I don't know if many people who have horses for pets know what a normal, healthy horse is suppose to look like. I figure with the feeding schedule we have, fixing up his horrible feet, and keeping up the exercise he will get there and look like a brand new horse (hopefully). But, it does seem to take forever to drop those pounds. Keep your fingers crossed for us.
     
    05-18-2012, 09:48 PM
  #5
Foal
Quote:
Originally Posted by BubblesBlue    
I tmay be how he's standing but he looks a bit camped under. Is he some kind of pony perhaps?

Besides being camped under in the back, he looks straight. His shoulder may be too sloped to my liking but that's just me. Do you have any hind and front pictures in there?
Not at the moment....BUT, could always get some tomorrow while I am out there. Always happy to have any opinions on Romeo.
     
    05-18-2012, 10:55 PM
  #6
Trained
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilbit11011    
And that's a big yep....he is chunky as all get out. Sad thing is that many horses around here seem to be his size or bigger (weight wise). I don't know if many people who have horses for pets know what a normal, healthy horse is suppose to look like. I figure with the feeding schedule we have, fixing up his horrible feet, and keeping up the exercise he will get there and look like a brand new horse (hopefully). But, it does seem to take forever to drop those pounds. Keep your fingers crossed for us.
Yes, tis sad & apparently reasonably universal in Western countries these days where horses are predominently kept as pets, where show judges often also deduct points for healthy weighted animals. I wonder why IR/EMS, laminitis, Cushings etc is so common these days....
     

Quick Reply
Please help keep the Horse Forum enjoyable by reporting rude posts.
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Horse Forum forums, you must first register.

Already have a Horse Forum account?
Members are allowed only one account per person at the Horse Forum, so if you've made an account here in the past you'll need to continue using that account. Please do not create a new account or you may lose access to the Horse Forum. If you need help recovering your existing account, please Contact Us. We'll be glad to help!

New to the Horse Forum?
Please choose a username you will be satisfied with using for the duration of your membership at the Horse Forum. We do not change members' usernames upon request because that would make it difficult for everyone to keep track of who is who on the forum. For that reason, please do not incorporate your horse's name into your username so that you are not stuck with a username related to a horse you may no longer have some day, or use any other username you may no longer identify with or care for in the future.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


Old Thread Warning
This thread is more than 90 days old. When a thread is this old, it is often better to start a new thread rather than post to it. However, If you feel you have something of value to add to this particular thread, you can do so by checking the box below before submitting your post.

Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Do you think she has dropped or dropping? tanya Horse Breeding 2 04-02-2011 11:14 AM
dropping grain Starlite Horse Health 5 02-25-2011 12:23 PM
Throwing or dropping bit Haulinbass02 Horse Riding 4 08-19-2010 11:15 PM
Not Dropping to Pee? AngelWithoutWings54 Horse Health 2 06-25-2010 04:46 PM
help keeps dropping his right shoulder! sonnysfirststar English Riding 6 03-29-2009 11:48 PM



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:13 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0