Small Cut Above Coronary Band Leads to Swelling, and More?
 
 

       The Horse Forum > Keeping and Caring for Horses > Horse Health

Small Cut Above Coronary Band Leads to Swelling, and More?

This is a discussion on Small Cut Above Coronary Band Leads to Swelling, and More? within the Horse Health forums, part of the Keeping and Caring for Horses category
  • Horse cut above eye
  • Horse cut above coronary band lame

Like Tree9Likes

 
LinkBack Thread Tools
    02-28-2013, 07:52 PM
  #1
Green Broke
Small Cut Above Coronary Band Leads to Swelling, and More?

Rodeo was moved back up to West Virginia. Saturday he was turned out for the first time since being back. The horses are turned out on a 10acre field, and Rodeo has done really well with the other horses, there are only 2 horses that are new to him, as he has been to this barn before. He was doing great up until Tuesday. He came in Tuesday night with obvious bleeding on his left hind leg. The BO washed it out, took a look at it, and saw there was nothing in it. He picked the foot out, put some ointment on it, and that was that.

I went out yesterday, and there was obvious swelling, but it was weight baring, he took a few steps here and there where he was off, but very few. I cold hosed it, and put some more ointment on it. They kept him in the stall yesterday, and when I went out today, I was expecting it to look better, but it was quite the opposite. Swelling went up more, and he went from weight baring, to not baring weight at all. Once again, I cold hosed it, rechecked it, and I don't know, I don't understand why this little cut is causing so much swelling, and so much pain!?

After the cold hosing, a good bit of swelling went down, I talked to the BO again, and gave the vet a call, and they told me to turn him out and see how he did with some movement.

Im thinking that him being out is the right call, because the more I make him move, the better he seems to do on it.

So this was from yesterday

As was this


I inspected it more today...



Sorry, I know the photos arent all that great, but with moving, things are still packed, including my camera. The only thing I can think of doing, is cold hosing tomorrow, rechecking it, and if its not any better have the vet come out and look at it. I was thinking of wrapping it up, but the little bugger chews the wraps off every time! Not to mention, he ended up banging his head against the hay rack in the stall making a nice gash on his face!

Suggestions? Thanks!
     
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
    02-28-2013, 08:15 PM
  #2
Started
He may have abscessed at his coronary band. If he is oozing puss, you can soak it in epsom salts to draw it out. As long as it doesn't get worse, he would probably be ok.
Spotted likes this.
     
    02-28-2013, 08:17 PM
  #3
Showing
To my eye, it looks like one of two things.

1) Puncture. He might have really jammed something in there pretty deep and done more damage than it appears. In which case, probably need the vet.

2) Ruptured abscess. I've never had one bust that far up onto the pastern, but I suppose stranger things have happened. There may still be some infection in there deeper causing the increasing lameness and swelling. In which case, probably need the vet.


BUT, there is always option 3) He's being a drama queen. It's possible that the injury is no worse than it looks and, being a couple of days later, the swelling and soreness are at their peak and he's just being a baby about it.
franknbeans likes this.
     
    02-28-2013, 08:32 PM
  #4
Green Broke
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhorselady    
He may have abscessed at his coronary band. If he is oozing puss, you can soak it in epsom salts to draw it out. As long as it doesn't get worse, he would probably be ok.
Thanks Oldhorselady! Didnt even think of that! I will try the epsom salts, and see how it goes from there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by smrobs    
To my eye, it looks like one of two things.

1) Puncture. He might have really jammed something in there pretty deep and done more damage than it appears. In which case, probably need the vet.

2) Ruptured abscess. I've never had one bust that far up onto the pastern, but I suppose stranger things have happened. There may still be some infection in there deeper causing the increasing lameness and swelling. In which case, probably need the vet.


BUT, there is always option 3) He's being a drama queen. It's possible that the injury is no worse than it looks and, being a couple of days later, the swelling and soreness are at their peak and he's just being a baby about it.
smrobs, I was thinking something could be jammed in there too, but my BO dug in there a little bit when he first saw Rodeo, and said he didnt see anything, not saying that there isnt something jammed in there still.

As for him being a drama queen, I almost want to say that he is, but I don't want to say he is if he is actually in pain! Lol...the little stinker!

BO just called, and said that Rodeo came in from the pasture limping pretty good, so Ill go out tomorrow and see how he is, should I give him some bute? Or do you think it isnt necessary?
     
    02-28-2013, 08:37 PM
  #5
Foal
If he were mine, I'd soak it in epson salts for as long as he'll stand good, then squirt some vetericyn on hole, then pack it in ichthammol & wrap with a diaper, vetrap and duct tape. I'd try that for a couple days. That's usually a pretty quick fix unless there's some other type of damage. Ichthammol is pretty powerful stuff on this kind of injury.
     
    02-28-2013, 09:46 PM
  #6
Showing
I'm not a fan of bute unless the pain from the injury is severe and the horse is basically immobile (stalled). The way I see it, if they don't feel how much they are hurting, then they don't remember they are injured, and they might get to playing and re-injure or injure themselves even more.
franknbeans and csimkunas6 like this.
     
    02-28-2013, 09:57 PM
  #7
Super Moderator
It is deep. It is also too high for a hoof abscess. If he were mine, I'd put him on an antibiotic, give him a Tetanus Antitoxin shot and keep it wrapped to keep it clean. If I put anything on it topically, it would be DMSO with an antibiotic like Furacin or Gentomycin mixed in it. I would keep a close watch on his temperature. I would take it every evening. It will tell you if you have an infection. I would not give Bute. You want to know how it is coming along or if he gets worse.
smrobs, csimkunas6 and Trinity3205 like this.
     
    02-28-2013, 10:06 PM
  #8
Yearling
Def looks like a fairly deep puncture to me
     
    03-01-2013, 08:35 AM
  #9
Green Broke
Thanks for all the replies! Obviously if I didnt feel the vet was needed, I wouldnt call, but Im going to give them a call today. BO said he came in last night limping pretty good, and he is in the same condition this morning in his stall, so. Little bugger! Not even a full week out in the new pasture and he does this!
     
    03-01-2013, 10:19 AM
  #10
mls
Trained
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherie    
It is deep. It is also too high for a hoof abscess. If he were mine, I'd put him on an antibiotic, give him a Tetanus Antitoxin shot and keep it wrapped to keep it clean. If I put anything on it topically, it would be DMSO with an antibiotic like Furacin or Gentomycin mixed in it. I would keep a close watch on his temperature. I would take it every evening. It will tell you if you have an infection. I would not give Bute. You want to know how it is coming along or if he gets worse.
Actually an abscess can travel the path of least resistance and come out anywhere in lower leg.

OP - please do NOT give an antibiotic without a vet looking at it. The type of antibiotic will depend on what you are dealing with.

Do NOT put DMSO on an open wound. DMSO is a transfer agent and any bacteria on the surface will be absorbed into the blood stream.

Apuncture can come across as innocuous but be very dangerous indeed.
6W Ranch likes this.
     

Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Heavy dry flaking just above the coronary band??? mfed58 Horse Health 3 02-23-2012 11:29 PM
Rough textured coronary band growth Oldhorselady Hoof Care 0 02-07-2012 12:38 PM
Dry looking coronary band? JavaLover Horse Health 2 01-03-2010 11:27 PM
Lame Mare, Coronary Band Abscess, could it be a farrier problem????? Velvetgrace Horse Health 51 05-16-2009 10:09 PM
Diagonals, Leads, Changing Leads, Smooth Transitions... FutureVetGirl English Riding 4 08-29-2008 05:32 AM



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:17 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0