Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Chula Vista, CA
Just another reminder....I have always had 'wobblers' in the back of my mind since the day I bought her. However, she passes most of the physical tests and the vets say 'no'.
1. Back Withdrawl.....she does fine. The only time I have seen any squatting is when she gets a bath and the hose running cold water over her back/butt. I've seen many other horses do that too....so I've never been concerned.
2. Tail and anal tone....she is fine in those areas.
3. Panniculus/skin sensation....no problems there.
4. Mobility of the neck....no problems bending around with her neck and then walking off. I have noticed though, when she lifts her hind leg and bends around to scratch her face with it like a dog...that she can be thrown off balance sometimes where she has to start over.
5. Leg placement....this one is questionable. She will cross her legs and stand there and look like, "Sure, ok...if this is what you want me to do, I'm ok with it." I've seen other horses do this too, even on their own though. Snickers is one of those horses that you can mold and she just goes along with it....it's her personality....so not sure on this one.
6. Tail sway....she passes this fine.
7. Tight circles.....she does fine on the ground and under saddle with yielding. Nothing weird there.
8. Hills....I'm not too sure yet. I haven't had the chance to be behind her for this. I think I will get some help and video tape here.
9. Free exercise.....Well, this is where ??? may come in....she used to bunny hop at the canter a year ago. I don't really see it any longer. Her trot is obviously funny. Almost, at times, like her hind legs hit the ground just after her front ones, not in rythm...but sometimes she has rythm. When she is really moving in the trot and even canter and holdiing it well, she is very smooth, almost arabish? Then, when she slows down, it all falls apart. She does knuckle over on occasion.
10. Hopping...I don't remember this one.
11. Blindfold....Hmmmmm....I did ride her with a tarp on her head the other day, but only at the walk. I am going to try the blindfold and lead her around.