Once again, I'd like opinions about my eternal dilemma about whether I should keep my pony in or let her out, like usual, in inclement weather...
So, this time, it looks like we might be getting 6-12 inches of snow over the next few days. This will be our first big snow in the last 3 years or so so I'm super excited! I'm really hoping to be able to take Lacey on a trail ride in it and ride in the snow for the very first time.
But anyway, it's supposed to start snowing late Wednesday and continue into Thursday until we have 6-12 inches (maybe more, the last time they predicted this much, we got 24 inches instead, even in the lowlands, and everyone was snowed in for weeks since no one around here has any idea how to handle snow). Lacey's field is pretty steep so I'm concerned about her slipping or something.
It's just supposed to snow, no ice or anything, so I think that makes it safer, but I'm not totally sure. She's not shod so it shouldn't pack into her feet too badly, right?
My thoughts are that I'll go get her enough hay to last for two weeks, just in case, tomorrow, and hope that the snow doesn't decide to stick around that long.
Basically, we live on top of a very tall hill (people from non-mountainous regions might call it a small mountain
) that is basically impassable when any sort of inclinent weather happens. So my number one priority is making sure Lacey stays safe since the vet cannot come to her if she gets hurt when the weather is bad.
My other concern is that if I were to keep her in, she's the type that turns into a little rocket on legs when she has energy. So, she might not be careful when I let her out again, especially if she has to stay in for a number of days. If that's the case, I could always bring her down to my front yard (it's pretty flat) and lunge her there before turning her out but still... I don't know. What do you think?
I feel like since it's just snow, she'll probably be fine, but I don't want to assume something I have no experience with.