Strange plant in hay... poisonous?
   

       The Horse Forum > Keeping and Caring for Horses > Horse Health

Strange plant in hay... poisonous?

This is a discussion on Strange plant in hay... poisonous? within the Horse Health forums, part of the Keeping and Caring for Horses category
  • Weird looking plants that are poisonous
  • Strange green plants through horse hay

 
LinkBack Thread Tools
    03-31-2011, 12:44 PM
  #1
Foal
Strange plant in hay... poisonous?

So I was at the stable I board at yesterday, packing up to move my horse home today. Another lady was there and had given her horse some hay. She had pulled some of it out into the isle way to throw away after she was finished. I was looking at this strange plant that she had pulled out, and I have no clue what it is. My first thought was ragwort, which is highly poisonous, but I'm not at all 100% certain.

Today I was putting in the last touches on my barn to prepare for Siaga's return home, and found one of the dried plants on the floor of my barn, from quite a while ago, so I picked it up and took it into the house to take pictures of.

Anyone know what it is, and is it poisonous, or healthy, or just.. there?

... Well, I'd give you direct pictures, but my mothers computer is being slow and a pain, so I'll give you a link to the blogpost I made in which all four pictures are posted.

Hoof Prints and Far Away Dreams: Mysterious plant... poisonous?

Thanks for any help!
     
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
    03-31-2011, 03:05 PM
  #2
Foal
Color is hard to tell from your picture, but I think it looks a little like ragweed (is that the same as ragwort?) which is what causes so many people trouble with allergies and hay fever.
     
    03-31-2011, 04:43 PM
  #3
Started
Not actually sure what it is, but we have it in our hay too. The horses don't eat it.

Interested to see if anyone knows.
     
    04-01-2011, 08:27 AM
  #4
Foal
The color is a chocolate brown almost. No idea what shade of green it would be in life.
Ragweed is not the same as ragwort, I think. One is allergy inducing, the other is toxic. Most of the horses there (including Siaga) have a cough from the hay they are fed there, it's dusty, a little moldy (Ugh!) and has this in it, whatever it is.
So glad he's back home now and on good hay! Brougt him home last night. I still want to know what this is so I can email the "Barn Butler" and let them know, if it's something to be worried about. As far as I can tell, most horses were eating it, and it was only getting pulled out if the owners pulled it out.
     
    04-01-2011, 08:57 AM
  #5
Banned
Probably the easiest solution would be to take it to your local cooperative extension. They can tell you what it is.
Or ask the farmer you bought your hay from, I am sure they know what it is too.

If you do not want to do that then look up plants that are toxic to horses and compare them to what you found.
     

Tags
plant hay poisonous

Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
PLEASE- 50+ TB will go to the slaughter plant on 7-26-10. Please help! draftrider Horses for Sale 20 07-25-2010 11:58 PM
i HATE poisonous weeds in my pature! MOW 'EM DOWN!! thunderhooves Farm Forum 3 04-18-2010 09:21 AM
~ Poisonous Potatoes? flamingauburnmustang Horse Health 11 10-30-2009 02:27 PM
Questions about poisonous plants for horses jhorse753 Horse Health 3 05-01-2009 11:22 AM
Plants And Weeds That Are Poisonous To Horses Horsemad1300 Horse Health 0 01-06-2007 05:28 AM



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:30 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0