Stupid Vet can't give me a straight answer...can you? - Page 3
 
 

       The Horse Forum > Keeping and Caring for Horses > Horse Health

Stupid Vet can't give me a straight answer...can you?

This is a discussion on Stupid Vet can't give me a straight answer...can you? within the Horse Health forums, part of the Keeping and Caring for Horses category
  • Vet cant find baby in draft horse
  • Stupid calls to veterinary

Like Tree24Likes

 
LinkBack Thread Tools
    10-18-2011, 02:22 PM
  #21
mls
Trained
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahver    
Seriously though, talk to your vet about their diagnosis or get a new vet, labeling them stupid on the internet is a little unfair when they don't have a chance to respond and explain themselves.
I would also like to ask if you had changed anything in those two weeks? Had the horse been worked more, shed out winter coat, etc? Two weeks can make a difference.

Also what was the verbage? We tend to remember bits and pieces that stick out because they bother us and forget the rest that was said.
     
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
    10-18-2011, 03:00 PM
  #22
Banned
I am ending this discussion with YOU, Miss Snarky. WHY? Because you feel the need to be combative and I am NOT playing with you.

Your rebuttal is full of holes.



Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahver    
Yes, my comment was snarky. Which I admitted.

No, I don't call people stupid, in real life or on the internet as I think it is childish and unproductive. Do other people do it? Yes. I think they are childish also.
It is done and done by alot of people who have a beef with a vet, farrier, trainer, Bo, etc. I apply negative adjectives to professionals in my life who I feel aren't meeting the needs they are being PAID FOR.

Quote:
Sure your vet isn't a member here and probably neither are other people in your life but google the word(s) Beausant and/or Epona and whoopdy-do what comes up? This thread I bet. Because it is a public forum. So while you might think it is anonymous it really isn't, anyone can read it.
So it's a public forum? No one I know is on here. Neither are complete strangers likely to wake up one morning and decide today is the day they want to google "beauseant" and "epona" just to see what comes up. The vet and the BO aren't named.... so what's that going to prove???


Quote:
Also, I am pretty sure you have made a thread about this very topic before a few months back:

http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/epona-grossly-fat-ir-horse-who-91523/

The vet at that time gave a body score of 8 (or estimated) and mentioned IR to you. I guess it was a different vet at a different time since June is a lot longer than two weeks ago and plenty of time for a horses weight to change, particularly if her weight was an issue you were potentially addressing at the time.
That thread was made in June. The vet said that Epona was an 8 at that time. TWO WEEKS later she came back to finish up the vaccines, and at that time said Epona wasn't overweight at all. I guess the TWO WEEKS is where you got tripped up with your JUne is alot longer than two weeks ago mistake. CLARIFICATION: two weeks equals time between vet visits, at which time we were told she was fat and then miraculously was not fat. I hope that clears up whatever info you got from the two weeks statement.

As for NOW, we are trying to formulate a grazing regimen for the rest of the fall and especially next spring. To do so in the best interest of the horses, I was asking for opinions on their weight NOW as we are getting conflicting reports from the professional horse people in our lives.

Quote:
In regards to IR, if you are worried, have her tested as some IR horses aren't obese. There is no damage done in having a test done and having it show up as negative.
Good advice. And yes, I think we will have it done so we will know what we are or aren't dealing with, especially come Spring.
     
    10-18-2011, 03:09 PM
  #23
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by mls    
I would also like to ask if you had changed anything in those two weeks? Had the horse been worked more, shed out winter coat, etc? Two weeks can make a difference.

Also what was the verbage? We tend to remember bits and pieces that stick out because they bother us and forget the rest that was said.

Mls, no, no changes were made in the two weeks between vet calls back in June.

On the first call she did a body check of Epona and gave her an 8...and said she was moderately overweight. In the ensuing two weeks I talked with our farrier extensively and consulted some draft horse owners on the internet, showing them pics.

The consensus with them, including farrier, who actually has been doing epona's hooves for two years....is that Epona is a boxy, old style chunky draft and that her extremely cresty neck need not be a sign of danger necessarily, as some lean and fit drafts in heavy work STILL have cresty necks.

SOOOO....on the second visit two weeks later I brought up what I had been told by the farrier and internet info....and she agreed Epona wasn't fat at all. The fact that her evaluation changed so rapidly worried me...because how do you know which evaluation of hers to believe?
     
    10-18-2011, 04:13 PM
  #24
Trained
Do you think she may have been telling you what you obviously wanted to hear because she didn't feel like argueing with your "experts"? If I had spent $100,000 on Vet school and someone ask for an evaluation and two weeks later wanted to argue about it because thier horseshoer and a few other folks that may or may not know what they're talking about disagreed I would probably just conceed and save an arguement for a matter worthy of the effort.
PerchiesKisses and bsms like this.
     
    10-18-2011, 05:37 PM
  #25
Green Broke
Well pardon me for being confused as to why you would start two different threads, three months apart, asking the same question after (apparently) the same vet visit? I understood the two weeks bit, just wasn't sure why you would start a new thread with the same info, I was wondering if there were more vet visits in the interim. Guess not. Story is the same down to the same references to the BO's comments. Except your first one had a video montage.

I think you are just after a slew of comments reaffirming what you seem to have already made up in your mind - that she isn't overweight or in danger of IR and that your vet is most certainly the stupidest vet ever born. Both of which are pretty ****ed hard to tell from pictures alone.

But, I will leave your thread alone and I hope you get the answers you were looking for.
kevinshorses and bsms like this.
     
    10-18-2011, 05:46 PM
  #26
Showing
Beau looks fantastic. Your draft is a little pudgy, but nothing major.
     
    10-18-2011, 06:16 PM
  #27
Weanling
I would LOVE if my OTTB could gain weight like that! Lol
     
    10-18-2011, 07:00 PM
  #28
Showing
I've seen numerous grey TBs, that look like your horse and they all carried a slightly rounded look. People get so used to seeing ribs on TBs, the hard keepers which are usually the bays and chestnuts, they find it hard to believe this horse could be a TB. There are numerous Belgians in my area and yours is a bit overweight. You are smart to restrict grazing to 8 hrs day. In Spring when the nights are cool and days are warm it is best to restrict turnout to a few hours several times a day if you can. Same again in late summer.
     
    10-18-2011, 10:33 PM
  #29
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinshorses    
Do you think she may have been telling you what you obviously wanted to hear because she didn't feel like argueing with your "experts"? If I had spent $100,000 on Vet school and someone ask for an evaluation and two weeks later wanted to argue about it because thier horseshoer and a few other folks that may or may not know what they're talking about disagreed I would probably just conceed and save an arguement for a matter worthy of the effort.

What I wanted to hear? Ummm...kindly tell me what a thousand people telling me that our Belgian is slender when she is really fat is going to accomplish? How is that going to benefit her?.


I would like to find a vet who would be straightforward and forthright. And one who loves horses enough to tell the owner what they need to do to make the horse's life as healthy as possible, rather than throw in the towel and concede to whever it is you think she conceded to...?????

I was not badgering her to tell me Epona was a svelte runway Belgian model, DUHHH.

I was asking her honest questions as in:

Does a cresty neck on a draft ALWAYS signify metabolic issues?

How does the standard horse body scoring system translate to drafts?

How much overweight poundwise is Epona?

Where are the most common places on her body that we should be checking for fatty deposits?

ETC...

You are as off the mark as sarah....where you came up with me coming at our vet on her second visit with "expert" comments and a goal to force her to tell me our girl was an optimum weight is beyond my knowledge. Guess it came from your own imagination.


I dislike your combative attitude and refuse to give your posts or sarah's one minute of my time.

One says I'm snarky for calling an anonymous vet somewhere on this planet stupid. YOU say I am trying to get people to say my draft is thin so that.....well, I don't know why you think I would do that or how it would matter one bit to the health and welfare of my horse.

SOOOO....i will just ignore the condemnation posters and thank everyone else who gave their opinions and advice. You all agree the draft is mild to moderately fat...so by this kevinshorses persons measure I should hate you all for not telling me what HE OR SHE SOMEHOW KNOWS I want to hear.....??????

That is seriously ridiculous so I won't continue...


I thank you all for your honesty, and have already cut down Epona's grass time by one hour. Next spring she will have ample but reduced grass time.... and my son only rides once a week, so we need to try to finangle his schedule and get her some more exercise during this lovely fall weather.

Oh, and thanks for the replies about Beau. I used to board at a TB barn and all the TBs there were so thin that I knew he was overweight by TB standards, I just wanted to make sure none of you thought he was so fat that it would affect his legs and overall health. I mean, TBs are not BUILT to carry alot of weight on their bones, are they?

In closing, I just wanted to say that those of you who gave honest and helpful advice offset the frustration caused by the posters who only reply cause they have something nasty to say, are jealous, or who are just having a bad day and looking for someone to vent on.
     
    10-18-2011, 10:46 PM
  #30
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahver    
Well pardon me for being confused as to why you would start two different threads, three months apart, asking the same question after (apparently) the same vet visit? I understood the two weeks bit, just wasn't sure why you would start a new thread with the same info, I was wondering if there were more vet visits in the interim.
Fair enough. The reason I asked again NOW is that since June we have been trying to find an optimum amount of grass time for her....during the summer we upped her grass time from six to eight and I was wondering if that had made any difference in her weight. We can't tell as easily as we see her day by day and don't see little changes that may be creeping up on us.

AND when my son rode her last week, her girth settings are usually 4 and 3...this time they were 3 and 3.....winter coat came in so to keep from freaking out I kept telling myself THAT was the reason ...... but that doesn't make it true....

So I came back on here asking for opinions AGAIN, based on CURRENT pictures....
     

Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Stupid Stupid Stupid! (graphic) ShutUpJoe Horse Talk 17 01-26-2011 12:04 PM
can you answer? stzspony Horse Tack and Equipment 4 12-28-2009 02:13 PM
Stupid question with probably an obvious answer drafts4ever Horse Talk 2 09-08-2009 09:58 AM
Stupid question to give you a laugh. nicoleayers701 Horse Breeding 10 03-18-2009 09:21 PM
...Stupid Morning, Stupid Cows, Stupid Stupid... BluMagic Horse Health 9 01-07-2008 12:44 PM



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:23 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0