Originally Posted by DancingArabian
Does anyone know if this moldy corn poisoning stuff (^^^^) is only in dried corn or can fresh corn have it as well? I mean obviously fresh corn can rot but you know what I mean.
My horse loves fresh corn on the cob.
Posted via Mobile Device
It's caused by a fusarium fungus (meaning it infects the corn while it's still in the field), so I imagine fresh corn would be a potential source as well.
Any cereal grain can be infected by fusarium. Oats are less susceptible than most cereals, but they can still be infected. There are different fusarium strains, but they all release toxins that can be dangerous for humans and livestock. Wet field conditions foster the disease.
Any grain destined for human consumption is tested.Certified seed is also tested (at least in Canada - would think it would be the same elsewhere). I would think that if you were sourcing your horse feed from a larger supplier, they would be testing as well. Certainly something to think about and ask about.
If you're sourcing your grain from a local farmer, and they don't do testing, you should try to find out if fusarium has been a problem that year. If fusarium levels have been high, farmers will be talking about it in the coffee shops (or online forums) as they bring their grain in to be tested. It was a problem in my part of the world this year, and the ag media and industry have been talking about it lots.