Thanks for all of the answers! The vet came out today and Faith wasn't limping as much as she was yesterday. The vet decided he wanted to give her an antibiotic shot juuuust to make sure that she was going to be okay and the abscess wasn't going to cause infection, etc.
Originally Posted by farmpony84
I personally would turn out with an abscess if the paddock is clean. Movement helps the blood flow and the ooze.
I would soak with the Epsom salt daily as well. As for the wrapping I would only wrap the hoof. Are you doing standing wraps with the polos? I have had a leg swell all the way to the knee just before an abscess burst. I've also had an abscess come back a few times because it would close up and heel over before the evil crud finished draining. Good luck. :(
Thanks for the reply! Unfortunately we have turned her out before with her hoof wrapped, she was able to get the vet wrap just to come undone enough to be able to get small rocks and stones in her hoof. When I went to take her to the barn and look at her hoof, her hoof was very muddy and had decent sized rocks in her hoof that she wouldn't have been able to get out on her own. She also wasn't walking well on it.
It also doesn't help that I live in Michigan and the weather has been going back and forth lately.