Tale of the missing testicle

       The Horse Forum > Keeping and Caring for Horses > Horse Health

Tale of the missing testicle

This is a discussion on Tale of the missing testicle within the Horse Health forums, part of the Keeping and Caring for Horses category

LinkBack Thread Tools
    06-12-2008, 05:59 PM
Tale of the missing testicle

So the vet came out today to check out Wikke's shy boy. She was unable to feel it with a physical examination but she was able to see it with the ultrasound machine, though not very well. Unfortunately, she was unable to tell me whether it was actually in the inguinal canal or further up in the abdomen. So I have several options at this point:

Exploratory surgery: Basically the cut him open and see what's up. If they are able to get to the testicle or if the anesthetic loosens him up, they geld him. If the testicle is up in his abdomen, they sew him up and I have to take him to Va Tech for the abdominal surgery.

Hormone therapy: He gets hormone shots for a month to see if they will cause his testicle to come down. New research has shown that this method has a little over a 50% success rate (not sure of the exact number). If it comes down, they can do the procedure at the barn. If it doesn't come down, I take him to Tech.

Wait and see: He's going to be a year old on Sunday...so he's certainly not past the feasible drop date. I could wait another 4-5 months and see what happens.

At this point, I'm certainly shying away from the surgery. I am however considering the hormone therapy. It'll be about 100 dollars for the month, which I'm not adverse to paying for my peace of mind and wallet: stall board isn't cheap and its going up to 400 next month. As a gelding, my boarding options will open up drastically.

Can I ask any of the resident vets what experiences they have had with hormones? What are the side effects? How will it effect him physically and mentally? I'm going to speak with the vet in more depth about all of this tomorrow, and I talked to my mom (also a vet) about it too, but I'd like all the opinions I can get :P
Sponsored Links
    06-12-2008, 11:53 PM
I haven't been involved with trying this method to "fix" a cryptorchid. But I found an article for you: http://www.thehorse.com/ViewArticle.aspx?ID=9961
    06-13-2008, 10:22 AM
Thanks, Ryle :)
    06-13-2008, 02:18 PM
I've decided on trying the hormone therapy at this point...the success rate in horses still seems somewhat controversial, but side effects seem neglible aside from the effects boosted testosterone might have on a bouncy yearling and possible allergic reaction, which I think I can deal with.

My mom has been sending me all sorts of interesting material on the subject, I thought this article was noteworthy, especially the third paragraph...75% vs 42% is a pretty big difference. http://www.omafra.gov.on.ca/english/...torchidism.htm

Anyway, I'll keep everyone updated on how things go for us.
    06-13-2008, 02:36 PM
That article was quite interesting, especially with the percentages!

I hope Wikke's testicle drops for you!
    06-13-2008, 02:58 PM
Me too :P Tech's rate for the abdominal surgery is reasonable compared to other facilities, but its still quite expensive (though I'm getting this from the vet: I haven't talked to Tech personally yet). I don't know if I mentioned it, but it's his lefty that's still inside.
    06-13-2008, 03:07 PM
That's so interesting.
I'm sure he won't be happy if he has to have abdomen surgery. My puppy who was also cryptorchid, had abdomen surgery and he couldn't play for 2 weeks.
    06-20-2008, 11:52 AM
Thought I'd update this...I decided not to go with the hormone treatment. I'll go into the why's of that in a sec.

I think I mentioned that I had told my mother what was going on and asked her opinion on the matter. She is a very a-type personality: dove right in and emailed/called me for 3 days straight with research, which culminated in her actually calling Dr. Brendemuehl in Illinois (he's the doctor in the horse.com article Ryle posted). This is the gist of the conversation they had:

Do a thorough ultrasound (external and internal) to verify whether the testicle is in the inguinal canal or the abdomen. If its in the abdomen, do not bother with the hormone treatment because it will not work.

Your hormone program should consist of 2,500 IU of hCG twice a week for 4 weeks. The reason for the twice a week dosing is that the testosterone boosting effect only lasts for 2-3 days. Giving a larger dose once a week is not effective and will only give you testosterone spikes as opposed to a steady high.

The treatment has about a 50/50 success rate.

The reason I have decided not to do the hormones is that I've talked to 4 different vets in the area and all of them were reluctant to do an internal ultrasound on a yearling. They didn't want to risk internal damage because of his size and insisted that unless he was fully relaxed and on his back, the position of the testicle could change drastically and they wouldn't be able to get a good fix on it anyway.

Since I can't get a solid answer, I've decided not to do the hormones. A 50/50 chance is one thing....but if its in the abdomen, I won't even have that chance. And I don't want to tinker with his hormones for no good reason.

So at this point I'm planning on taking him to Tech for the surgery probably in October (depending on what the weather is like this year). If he drops before then, it'll be a bonus but I'm not worried: just a little more expensive for me to keep him boarded for now.
    06-20-2008, 12:33 PM
Good luck Sara! I hope all turn out alright!
    06-20-2008, 12:48 PM
I hope that one testicle is just a late bloomer and it will drop by the time he has to get gelded.

I wish you and Wikke lots of luck!

Quick Reply
Please help keep the Horse Forum enjoyable by reporting rude posts.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Horse Forum forums, you must first register.

Already have a Horse Forum account?
Members are allowed only one account per person at the Horse Forum, so if you've made an account here in the past you'll need to continue using that account. Please do not create a new account or you may lose access to the Horse Forum. If you need help recovering your existing account, please Contact Us. We'll be glad to help!

New to the Horse Forum?
Please choose a username you will be satisfied with using for the duration of your membership at the Horse Forum. We do not change members' usernames upon request because that would make it difficult for everyone to keep track of who is who on the forum. For that reason, please do not incorporate your horse's name into your username so that you are not stuck with a username related to a horse you may no longer have some day, or use any other username you may no longer identify with or care for in the future.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:


Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Old Thread Warning
This thread is more than 90 days old. When a thread is this old, it is often better to start a new thread rather than post to it. However, If you feel you have something of value to add to this particular thread, you can do so by checking the box below before submitting your post.

Thread Tools

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:35 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0