My 6 y/o Dutch Wmbld/ TB cross came in two weeks ago on Wednesday kinda off. Was taking a funny step in the corner. The hoof had very minimal heat but I assumed abscess and started treating it as such. On the Thursday, he was exactly the same, no better and no worse. I continued soaking and poulticing with alternate animal lintex & wheat bran/epsom. On the friday, he was very lame. I continued with the routine. On the Saturday I came in to the barn and had a complete melt down. His leg was HUGE to the knee cap and had what appeared to be a large 'banana' bowed tendon. I called my vet immediately (I love out of hours calls! That's the only time my horses seem to need them!). They told me there was nothing they could do currently and wasn't worth an emergency call as a bow can take up to 5 days to fully present and to begin alternating cold hosing and DMSO/Furacin sweats. We scheduled them to come out on the Monday morning with the Ultrasound machine. Upset was an understatement. I paid a lot for this horse, and more importantly, he's my buddy and a fabulous animal.
On the Sunday I came out to discover that the swelling had continued to build and get worse. His knee cap was now full of fluid, and he had swollen all the way to his chest. At this stage I started panicking. I called my vet again, explained what I was looking at and told them I needed them now. At this stage he couldn't walk- he was dragging his whole front leg along like it was a foreign object. While he was still presenting a 'bow' I knew that a bow shouldn't be doing this.
Vet came out and drew blood, and gave him an IV shot of penecillin as well as Banamine to ease his pain. He didn't find a bow or any soft tissue trauma but did find.... a massive abscess sitting right in the bulb of his heel. He didn't dig it out but told me to soak again right away and we should find that it would pop. Oh boy did it pop.
That started a WEEK of draining. We soaked in epsom and hot water for a timed 1/2 hour every day. The foot was wrapped with animalintex and vet wrap and he was left indoors. To deal with the swelling and edema we sweated the knee cap and lower leg. It took about 4 days to get the swelling in the lower leg out and week for the knee (there is still some fluid sitting in the knee currently but nothing compared to what we had). He was kept on stall rest during this time. He was on sulfa drugs (antibiotics) for a week. His temperature remained normal throughout this however he was 'dull' and not himself.
I had my farrier out last Wednesday (a week after this started). We decided to leave the shoe on rather then pull it to support his foot as we are pretty sure he is going to loose a very large portion of the back of the hoof and heel.
My coach and other long term riders (other riders with 20+ years of experience) have never seen an abscess like this. Or an abscess present like this. Currently he has a 2 1/2 inch slit right across the coronet band under the heel bulb which has now hardened. He is growing new hoof wall underneath however it is very likely that this whole 2 1/2 inch section will get sloughed off as it grows out. We should be able to see the 'burrow' holes from the abscess on the new hoof wall underneath it. The abscess finished draining on Sunday. He is still not 100% sound but this is from the degradation of the hoof wall- there is no further abscess. I will try and get some pictures of the split currently when I'm out this afternoon and will add photos periodically as it grows out. I have attached some photos of the swelling we saw on the Sunday now. The other front leg had a clay poultice on it thus the funny color of that leg. The swelling was more visible in photos from the back of the leg then the front. He did loose his chestnut on the swollen leg from the extreme swelling