Thrush
 
 

       The Horse Forum > Keeping and Caring for Horses > Horse Health

Thrush

This is a discussion on Thrush within the Horse Health forums, part of the Keeping and Caring for Horses category
  • Girl gets thrust by horse
  • Koppertox spray

 
LinkBack Thread Tools
    10-26-2009, 12:33 PM
  #1
Yearling
Thrush

Well my boy has really bad thrush. He was outside for 2 years in wet, muddy, nastyness. He is now sore that when I pick his feet he pulls away. I have been treating this but I wanna know is there anything stronger? I'm using just bleach water my friend suggested.
     
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
    10-26-2009, 12:55 PM
  #2
Trained
Jester gets thrush really bad too :(

When you pick it out, is it black and/or moldy? If it isn't incredibly gross and smelly you should be able to just pulle him onto a dry area and it should heal on its own.

You can also buy a seal that works well, but you have to make sure that you pick out all the thrush before applying it otherwise it will lock it in and make it worse. I forget the name, but you can ask the customer service at a tack shop and they should know.
     
    10-26-2009, 12:55 PM
  #3
Yearling
Its black and STINKS to high heavens.
     
    10-27-2009, 04:10 AM
  #4
Foal
Don't Bleach Thrush!!

Thrush is anaerobic, the bacteria don't survive in the presence of air. So, the best way to avoid thrush is to keep your horse's feet clean and dry so air can reach the tissues. DO NOT apply bleach or hydrogen peroxide to a horse’s feet. These so-called “treatments” will burn the healthy tissues of the frog and actually ****** healing. (If you kill the thrush, but also the live tissue, the cycle of thrush will continue as the new dead tissue will attract new bacteria and fungus which will then invade and destroy the tissue again.)
I would trim the loose and overgrown flaps of frog so air and antibacterial can reach the affected tissues, brush/scrub out the feet, wash the hoof thoroughly with mild soap, such as Betadine scrub, and plenty of warm water, dry it off, and spray with undiluted apple cider vinegar.
I'm not an expert, but I love solving these problems.


I strongly suggest you watch this video:

Hope this helps:)
     
    10-27-2009, 01:50 PM
  #5
Weanling
YOU DON'T want to use bleach. . .

Apple Cider Vinegar is a good home remedy, but you are better off buying Koppertox or something similar and treating him while moving him to a dry location. Applying a OTC Athlete's foot cream in additon can help as well.
     
    10-28-2009, 01:15 PM
  #6
Trained
Great Vid, AHC. ((Hehe, same initials as Albert Health Care :))

I'm not sure if I would suggest a sealer. Air needs to circulate in order for the thrush to heal and the sealer would block air flow right? I've never dealth with thrush, but did take the time to learn alot about it since our springs can get pretty nasty wet here.

Remember that a call to your vet is always free, as is a google search. Of course you don't want to call you vet for EVERYTHING, but if you are in serious doubt then go ahead and call.
     
    10-28-2009, 03:02 PM
  #7
Started
I've found the a betadine/water mix works best. Just squirt into/around the frog and it should clear up very quickly (maybe a week or so if it's as bad as you say).
     
    10-28-2009, 03:26 PM
  #8
Green Broke
I've used bleack on Prince's thrush, but I'm going to start with Aplle Cider Vinegar. Sounds much less... toxic. More natural
     
    10-28-2009, 03:44 PM
  #9
Showing
Use the apple cider vin. As a preventative. During really wet months I try to keep the girls feed cleaned out and then spray some ACV on them. Put it in a spray bottle it makes the task much easier.
I also took the recommendation of my farrier and barefoot trim advocate Pete Ramey. Mix equal parts of athletes foot cream containing clotrimazole and triple antibiotic ointment like Neosporin.
I keep large syringes and put the paste into one of them. That way you can really get it down in the crevices.
Its well the money to keep an assortment of syringes around for this sort of thing. I get them via Dr.s Foster and Smith
     
    10-29-2009, 12:09 AM
  #10
Weanling
Don't use Koppertox or those sorts of commercial preps. They are harmful to healthy tissue and can exaccerbate your horses' tenderness.

ACV mixed 50/50 with water in a spray bottle, applied after picking out the feet every day and providing a well drained area to go will do wonders for your horse. Once it's cleared up, the ACV can be used preventatively about once or twice a week during wet seasons.
     

Quick Reply
Please help keep the Horse Forum enjoyable by reporting rude posts.
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Horse Forum forums, you must first register.

Already have a Horse Forum account?
Members are allowed only one account per person at the Horse Forum, so if you've made an account here in the past you'll need to continue using that account. Please do not create a new account or you may lose access to the Horse Forum. If you need help recovering your existing account, please Contact Us. We'll be glad to help!

New to the Horse Forum?
Please choose a username you will be satisfied with using for the duration of your membership at the Horse Forum. We do not change members' usernames upon request because that would make it difficult for everyone to keep track of who is who on the forum. For that reason, please do not incorporate your horse's name into your username so that you are not stuck with a username related to a horse you may no longer have some day, or use any other username you may no longer identify with or care for in the future.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


Old Thread Warning
This thread is more than 90 days old. When a thread is this old, it is often better to start a new thread rather than post to it. However, If you feel you have something of value to add to this particular thread, you can do so by checking the box below before submitting your post.

Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
He Gets Thrush A LOT SpiritJordanRivers Horse Health 11 09-10-2009 08:33 PM
Could the vet miss thrush? msuhighfrequincy Horse Health 12 07-13-2009 03:23 PM
It's not thrush goldilockz Horse Health 1 06-17-2009 06:40 AM
Thrush... VanillaBean Horse Health 23 11-29-2008 07:40 PM
Thrush Jubilee Rose Horse Health 7 06-22-2008 12:50 PM



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:39 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0