Toxic Plants and Trees - Page 10
 
 

       The Horse Forum > Keeping and Caring for Horses > Horse Health

Toxic Plants and Trees

This is a discussion on Toxic Plants and Trees within the Horse Health forums, part of the Keeping and Caring for Horses category
  • Neighbor has wild cherry trees next to my horses what to do
  • Poisonous plants in nova scotia pastures

Like Tree24Likes

 
LinkBack Thread Tools
    12-05-2011, 10:20 PM
  #91
Foal
Cool Toxic plants in Australia

Just reading through the interesting posts on toxic plants...the following link takes you to a great publication that covers Australian plants and probably some that still relate to other countries. It's a government organiastion and book can either be purchased or downloaded for free.
Hope it helps Colin
https://rirdc.infoservices.com.au/items/06-048
     
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
    02-21-2012, 01:34 AM
  #92
Foal
And as I have recently learned...

Whorled Milkweed (very deadly!)

These others were taken from the Colorado Weed Management Association book (www.cwma.org) called Noxious Weeds of Colorado (9th Edition).

African Rue
Tansy Ragwort
Yellow Starthistle
Black Henbane
Bouncingbet
Houndstounge
Russian Knapweed
Halogeton
Johnsongrass
Posion Hemlock
     
    02-24-2012, 08:16 PM
  #93
Weanling
I was just wondering if anybody had some information. I live in Canada (Nova Scotia). Is there any sites that would tell what sort of plants are poisonous here? The pastures where my horse is boarded (community barn) are fairly overgrazed. Any info would be appreciated!
Posted via Mobile Device
     
    02-28-2012, 06:05 PM
  #94
Green Broke
I would suggest to probably go to your local library and find a good book on horse/pasture care - as a lot of trees we have in northern Michigan are similar to those in Canada, I can say the two deadliest I have here, you probably have : RED MAPLE AND ALL CHERRY TREES!! That includes wild cherry, chokecherry, domestic, etc.. it's the leaves in these (red maple, cherry) that contain CYANIDE, which is very, very poisonous to horses. A friend of a friend had a healthy horse who died of a terrible death from accidently eating leaves from a cherry tree. I did a lot of reading on this when we brought my horse home, and confirmed that only 3 leaves eaten can cause death-so quickly, that often a vet can't even get there on time. Really scary, I know!! I had some wild cherry trees just outside of my mare's pasture, and believe me, I couldn't cut them down fast enough when I spotted leaves had blown into her pasture! I hope this helps!
     
    02-29-2012, 04:33 AM
  #95
Weanling
Thank you very much! The pasture does have quite a few Maple trees around it.. yikes!
     
    03-01-2012, 09:28 PM
  #96
Green Broke
Quote:
Originally Posted by JavaLover    
Thank you very much! The pasture does have quite a few Maple trees around it.. yikes!
You're welcome!! Remember, it's the Red Maple that's the poisonous one of the maples - Cyanide being the culprit in the leaves....
There are, I'm sure many other plants in your region to look up, but definitely the worst are the Red Maple and all Cherry Trees.
     
    05-02-2012, 06:19 PM
  #97
Yearling
Just adding an update on my 20 yr. Old OTTB with Johnsongrass poisoning. He still continues to drip and stream urine: he's incontinent.
There have been no further neurological problems so the problem isn't progressing. This is good. The bad part is that the damage that has been done to his bladder control is permanent. At this point, he won't recover control of his bladder. We're keeping vaseline on his back legs to protect from urine scald. He's perfectly comfortable...we did a three hour trail ride on Sunday. I was riding my horse behind him and you could follow the drips down the trail. The vet has suggested adding vitamin E to his supplements to see if that will help with nerve recovery, but he doesn't hold out much hope.

A brief history: This problem began about mid-March. We noticed dripping and streaming urine and took him to the vet. We then discovered that he had been eating hay with a considerable amount of Johnsongrass in the hay. Our horses are kept at a friends farm about 5 minutes from us. She died a year ago and her daughter took over. We are the only boarders, they have about 17 horses of their own. None of their horses show any symptoms. DB is the only thoroughbred there and the oldest horse. The other horses are quarter horses and TWHs. We're assuming that DBs age and breeding might have predisposed him to this problem since none of the other horses are affected. They've always taken care of our horses as if they were their own and the BO feels terrible about this. DB is currently on senior feed and a SmartPak daily containing OneAC for anhydrosis, BiotinPlus for his hooves. He gets a weekly shot of glucosamine for his joints and is on pasture 24/7. The only time he gets supplemental hay is in the winter when the pasture dies back.

IF this had been spring shoots of Johnsongrass he would be dead because they are loaded with cyanide. Once it is grown, it can be cut and used as hay if it's properly handled. With hay shortages around, you will see it advertised. In our case it was mixed in with coastal bermuda. My advice would be to avoid Johnsongrass hay at all costs. Sometimes it's possible to get away with it with no problems....but not always. So why take the chance?????
     
    05-23-2012, 09:32 PM
  #98
Foal
I have a cherry tree right next to the fence where we're about to move my horses, is it certain cherries they can't eat or all?
     
    05-24-2012, 05:04 PM
  #99
Green Broke
It's the leaves of ALL cherry trees - wild or domestic. 3 leaves eaten and a horse can suffer a painful and rapid death. They are filled with CYANIDE. I never knew this myself until a neighbor told me of her friend who had this happen to her beloved horse. When we brought my horse home, I cut down any wild cherry tree and sapling I could find surrounding her pasture. It's been a while since I've read the information, so I don't know about the fruit, but I won't ever find out because the deadly trees are gone!!
     
    05-28-2012, 08:20 PM
  #100
Foal
Our vet said the buttercups are toxic and my pony has bumps under her jaw due to allergy to it they said.
     

Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Horses and trees???? Help paintedcity Horse Talk 9 08-22-2008 12:35 AM
Killing my trees Vidaloco Horse Health 23 02-28-2008 12:46 AM
Plants And Weeds That Are Poisonous To Horses Horsemad1300 Horse Health 0 01-06-2007 05:28 AM



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:31 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0