After the death of a Lesson horse, I was told she ate acorns, they became impacted, & she colicked.(sp??). After much reading, I'm just going to assume for my own sake, all acorns & oak leaves are toxic to be on the safe side...I did find however, that Spanish Moss is fine & can even be part of a diet with grain & hay...huge amount of SM here in the south. Thoughts ??
I'm just on the forum quick at the moment - my first thought is, if the horse died from colic, it was simply that - an impaction. As far as poisonous leaves/plants for a horse, the cause of death is not an 'impaction' per say such as in colic, but rather the toxins causing the horse's respiration to 'shut down', and rather quickly in many cases. Specifically with the 2 most lethal - RedMaple leaves, and all Cherry leaves. Oak leaves have the pigment 'tanin', and I've yet to hear of tanin being lethal. Red Maple leaves and all Cherryleaves, however, containCyanide, (their pigment is called, anthocyanin). My guess is that horse did indeed die of colic from ingesting too many acorns as you suggest - that sounds probable. Hope that helps. So sorry, by the way, to hear of the loss of your lovely horse.
First of all, I was trying to squash that little bug....(pretty clever)
I live in a forest. I had to take down about 75 trees of all species and size in order to create a paddock and barn space. I knew that oak trees were toxic, and had many of those removed. The only trees I left inside the paddock are 3 spindly cedars that my horses pretty much ignore. The first time my vet came out she inspected what trees would be harmful that I have nearby, and noted red maples as being severely toxic. Of course red maples are not red...their leaves are green- the red maples with red leaves are not called red maples - (go figure) & are called Japanese maples and are not toxic. The difference she pointed out to me was that the leaves of the red maple are serrated; they have jagged edges between the leaves, whereas sugar maples (which look very much like the red maple leaves) are smooth. Unfortunately we have 3 very large red maples which will shed their leaves in the fall-and that is when they are toxic. So I have a couple of months to figure out what I want to do with them. red maple leaf(toxic) sugar maple leaf (nontoxic)
I just logged in too ask about my hay, and hope this is a good thread to get answers. I had a delivery of hay yesterday that I bought in July, kept it at the barn I bought it from until I went through what I had..I PREPAID for 1st crop, the hay I got has a lot of little sticks, flowers stems and some straw..is this normal for 1st crop? I live in Maine, I know fields grow different things, all 1st crop I've had was nice, thin, clean and green!! This is Brown, and light green..I am worried about him eating something he shouldn't, and the sticks!! I also see of ground up green leaves, which seems like plants that grew over the summer..please help, I hope it's ok for my horse to be eating this!! :((
Your 1st cutting in Maine is probably similar to ours in N MI- the brown and light green you see, may be a grass called brome. It's harmless, and more in the 'wilds' aside from rich pastures. It carries little vitamins, and sometimes my horses refuse to eat it, tossing it around looking for something more.
Your hay supplier should have no problem with your stopping by to look at his fields, discuss the hay crop, etc.... Mine invites me to do so at any time! It's perfectly ok and normal to do so. Hope this helps :)