The easy way to remember cherries, plums, etc., is "if it has pits, the horse can choke!" they are poisonous as well but even if they weren't, you still wouldn't want them to choke on a pit! Locoweed is a milkweed, all of which are poisonous! Any thing YOU wouldn't put in your mouth don't force into your horses! Except those apple treats! They smell good but taste BLAND!LOL
Plant Type: Perennial
Description: Leaf blades six inches (15cm) long on stalks longer than that. The sheathing spathe of the inflorescence is dark maroon or brown above a light base, and encloses a white fleshy spadix in which the flowers are sunk.
Environment: Suitable for the home or a greenhouse
Growing Ease: Requires extra careTemperature: 50-75°F, 10-24°
“The underside of the red maple leaf tends to be silvery in color.” Signs of poisoning, including lethargy, discolored urine and darkened gums, may not appear for four days.
Equally toxic are cherry (black cherry, chokecherry, and fire cherry) peach and plum trees, all members of the Prunus species. These leaves also produce cyanide when wilted, affecting horses within a few hours of ingestion.
These are in order of Most Poisonous:
Yew (taxus sp.) Oleander (nerium oleander) Red Maple (Acer rubrum) Cherry trees and relatives (prunus sp.) Red Maple (Acer rubrum) Cherry trees and relatives (prunus sp.) Black Walnut (juglans nigra) Black Locust (robinia pseudoacacia) Horse Chestnut, Buckeyes (aesculus hippocastanum) Oak trees, acorns(quercus sp.) Russian olive, also known as oleaster (elaegnus angustifolia)
I hadn't looked at this post for a long time but thought about it today when I found oak leaves in the water bucket. These leaves are from the Fall and are all dried up and brown. Crazy how the wind seems to aim them straight for the bucket.
Is this a really dangerous situation?
^^^ I'm curious as to that too! I have two very, very large oak trees in my yard and this winter all my girls did was eat the acorns off the ground...and come to think of it, just today, I cought Samone litterally grabbing the leaves off a young oak tree on the other side of our fence line. They both seem fine???? Are oak trees and acorns really that poisonous?
Spear Grass isn't good for horses, its a really thin hardy grass,but when it seeds out it produces a point (spear) as kids we used to throw them at each other and they'd stick in our cloths..or just plain poke each other with them..anyway it's not toxic,but will cause bad sores in the horses mouth.. I had a mare who loved the stuff and I ended up buying cold sore medicine (the people kind) to heal her mouth. After I got all the "spears" out.. it was not good. She couldn't hardly eat anything for days..
Mine eat most of the afore mentioned no-no things (acorns, oak leaves, and spear grass). We have never had any type of ordeal mentioned here. I am curious too about the toxicity of the acorns~I live in woods with tons of oak trees, etc.