Upcoming 3 y/o having dragging issues with all 4 legs
 
 

       The Horse Forum > Keeping and Caring for Horses > Horse Health

Upcoming 3 y/o having dragging issues with all 4 legs

This is a discussion on Upcoming 3 y/o having dragging issues with all 4 legs within the Horse Health forums, part of the Keeping and Caring for Horses category
  • Horse drags back leg
  • Can a horse drag his back legs when growing

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Speed Racer

 
LinkBack Thread Tools
    03-22-2012, 09:32 AM
  #1
Foal
Upcoming 3 y/o having dragging issues with all 4 legs

Has anyone had this problem before? Or at least heard of it? I just started my 3 y/o this past summer and gave her a few months off then started her back again. I rode her a few times every week. The vet came to look at her and said it may just be laziness in a growing stage, but that was when she was just dragging her hind legs. A few weeks after that she began to drag her front legs too. I gave her a month off of riding and have just started her back nice and easy (just walking and trotting for about 20 minutes) and she seems to be a little better. She isn't dragging her front feet really but still drags the hind quarters. Any suggestions?
     
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
    03-22-2012, 09:39 AM
  #2
Showing
Get a new vet. Horses don't drag their back legs 'just because'.
wyominggrandma likes this.
     
    03-22-2012, 10:02 AM
  #3
Weanling
Quote:
Originally Posted by paigewest92    
Has anyone had this problem before? Or at least heard of it? I just started my 3 y/o this past summer and gave her a few months off then started her back again. I rode her a few times every week. The vet came to look at her and said it may just be laziness in a growing stage, but that was when she was just dragging her hind legs. A few weeks after that she began to drag her front legs too. I gave her a month off of riding and have just started her back nice and easy (just walking and trotting for about 20 minutes) and she seems to be a little better. She isn't dragging her front feet really but still drags the hind quarters. Any suggestions?
Need more information.

Does the horse drag at liberty or only when under saddle?

Is the horse shod or barefoot?

Is there evidence of "dubbing" at the toe of the hoof? Is any visible "dubbing" (excess wear; rolled over appearance) more prevalent on one hoof than another?

Does this horse have exceptionally long pasterns? Long toes / low or underrun heels? Long barrel? Is it a thoroughbred?

What percentage of the horses weight does your weight plus tack represent? Does your weight plus tack exceed 20% of the horses weight.

Did the attending vet provide a blood workup and if so, what were the results?

Cheers,
Mark
     
    03-23-2012, 09:24 AM
  #4
Foal
Quote:
Originally Posted by Horseman56    
Need more information.

Does the horse drag at liberty or only when under saddle?

Is the horse shod or barefoot?

Is there evidence of "dubbing" at the toe of the hoof? Is any visible "dubbing" (excess wear; rolled over appearance) more prevalent on one hoof than another?

Does this horse have exceptionally long pasterns? Long toes / low or underrun heels? Long barrel? Is it a thoroughbred?

What percentage of the horses weight does your weight plus tack represent? Does your weight plus tack exceed 20% of the horses weight.

Did the attending vet provide a blood workup and if so, what were the results?

Cheers,
Mark
She is a little straight in the shoulder and was orphaned at two weeks. The vet did not obtain blood results. There is dubbing on both hind feet equally and a little on both front feet. She is maybe 14.2 and 600 lbs. I only weigh 140 with tack. The problem still occurs whenever she is not under saddle as well. She is barefoot as well. Her breed is a paint x Hanoverian. She has pretty much stopped growing though. She has been out to pasture for most of her life. Could nutritional problems e a probability?
Posted via Mobile Device
     
    05-21-2012, 10:59 PM
  #5
Foal
Quote:
Originally Posted by paigewest92    
She is a little straight in the shoulder and was orphaned at two weeks. The vet did not obtain blood results. There is dubbing on both hind feet equally and a little on both front feet. She is maybe 14.2 and 600 lbs. I only weigh 140 with tack. The problem still occurs whenever she is not under saddle as well. She is barefoot as well. Her breed is a paint x Hanoverian. She has pretty much stopped growing though. She has been out to pasture for most of her life. Could nutritional problems e a probability?
Posted via Mobile Device
I agree "get a new vet".

Act as if it were you, or a loved one that just stated stumblin around
(budget depending)

A horse that stumbles around in nature is called a dead horse

Vet shop like you would shop for any product or service; call experts and barns and look at qualifications. Some equine vets are younger, and may see a few equines while focusing on small animals. Some equine vets have been in the business 40 or more years treating only equines.

NOT to scare you, but your horse may have:


1). Neurological issues either congenital, acquired (EMP), reaction to wormers, vacines, bad trimmin

2). Serious injury (kicked by another horse?)

3). Oh, the list goes on and on


A vet you pay, should go do a thourough evaluation, present you with a list of findings (scores every area of the horse and make notes), present possible causes, discuss tests and costs of tests, and discuss possible treatement plan

Best Wishes to you, God Bless
     

Tags
conformation help

Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Upcoming purchase needs a name.. MissKriss Horse Talk 21 03-07-2012 04:54 PM
Upcoming show Druydess Horse Shows 3 08-24-2011 05:49 PM
Skin issues on hind legs? Help? ScharmLily Horse Grooming 9 06-15-2011 10:33 AM
Upcoming show...help? Equilove Horse Training 11 05-05-2011 11:33 PM
dragging hide legs over jump. boo. wren Eventing 10 01-18-2011 09:36 AM



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:57 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0