So I started a thread Why is my beautiful horse doing this to himself?? that sort of explains how this started and...I finally got a vet to come out.
It's a highly contagious fungus!!! OMG. Vet said he probably was carrying it when I bought him and with the stress of the move to the new place and away from his dam and old owner last month he fell susceptible to it. But there's more.....because apparently it can spread to dogs, cats, humans, etc etc etc. I know get to be paranoid about all my 2 legged and 4 legged friends that I have been in contact with...and my baby :( He didn't tell me what kind of fungus and I was in so much shock I didn't think to ask, but I will find out
It was recommended that I spray the affected areas with bleach (his poor beautiful black hair), let it sit about 15 min and then wash him with Betadine shampoo. Then wash him 1-2 times daily with the Betadine shampoo for 2 weeks.
So, we don't get to move to our beautiful new equestrian center Tuesday :( I get to spend the weekend bleaching every barn stall, brush, etc etc he has come into contact with or throw out anything that can not be bleached...including the dressage pad I just bought....glad I bought a used one for 5 bucks, I'd be bummed if I had gotten a brand new one.. Help treat the other horse he was in pasture with..blah blah blah.
But at least we know why he has completely rubbed his bumm ras. If you have ANY suggestions, tips tricks etc for getting rid of icky, creeping, contagious fungus PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE let me know!!!!