Using strip grazing, but need to gain weight at the same time??
 
 

       The Horse Forum > Keeping and Caring for Horses > Horse Health

Using strip grazing, but need to gain weight at the same time??

This is a discussion on Using strip grazing, but need to gain weight at the same time?? within the Horse Health forums, part of the Keeping and Caring for Horses category
  • Strip grazing forhorses
  • Weight gain strip

 
LinkBack Thread Tools
    09-28-2011, 01:29 AM
  #1
Started
Using strip grazing, but need to gain weight at the same time??

Because it is spring, and Mitch is a 7yo tb, I am strip grazing him.
There are a few problems with this.

1. He is already underweight: He come out of winter quite underweight, because of an incident where he was let out of his strip grazing area by an someone and gutsed himself on lush grass.. Because of this he can't hold too much grass in his system (and his poop no longer resembles that of a horses) unless he is given hay too, which we have run out of.

2. Because of this issue with his system not holding on to grass well, if I feed him too much, or he gets out, he poops like a cow and and loses more weight because he can't keep anything inside him.

3. The other problem with helping him gain weight, but strip grazing him, is that also, if I let him on too much grass, he turns into a grenade.. Ready to blow constantly.. He has done it before, and when he blows... He really, really blows.. I won't even go into the stuff he has done when exploding, but he knows how to do it big.

So Pretty much, I need him to gain weight.. He is in race condition size wise but not muscle wise, so really he needs to be fatter.. He wouldn't be so bad if he didn't have the worlds biggest rear end and hips on him (not that I'm complaining mind you)

He gets fed once a day on:
Two large scoops of Palm Kernel (all it is, is fibre. It is also pre-soaked in boiling water because it expands)
1kg of Extruded Barley, also soaked.
Generally about 45mL of vegetable oil (Unless he has gotten out of his paddock and has the runs)
And 1.5 scoops of Equilibrium B1 Cool Mix (helps calm the monster down, but is also a coat conditioner)

Should I:
Give him grass at night and feed in morning, vice versa?
Half both the grass and feed, then feed him twice a day?
Leave grass as is, half feed and feed twice daily?
Get other feeds/supps? (If so, what should he have more/less of in his diet?)
What are your suggestions.. If I can I will put pictures up to help, but not today as I should really be doing an english essay right about now.
He is probably not as bad as you would picture him to be, he's just not as heavy as I would like him to be for a horse who is working on flatwork and muscle building every day. (Not ridden extrememly hard as he is still coming in to work, but ridden around 45-60mins daily, including light lunge)

Thankyou to anyone with suggestions :) he is very slowly gaining weight and muscle, but when I say slowly I mean very slowly, like hard to notice when you see him every day
     
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
    09-28-2011, 01:32 AM
  #2
Started
Oh and another thing, on average how much grass should he be getting daily (he's 16.1hh), and am I right in saying I should be feeding for the weight he should be not the weight he is at present(% per kg body weight etc)?

It would also be helpful, if anyone suggests any measurements.. I am in NZ and measure in Kilograms, grams etc, not lbs
     
    09-28-2011, 11:52 AM
  #3
Weanling
Sorry to hear of your problems with weight, am not from NZ so can't be of much help..cant imagine not having hay to feed..what a dilema. Can you feed your horse 3 times a day or even 2 times a day as it could help digestive problems such as diahrrea? Is he getting out on any grass now as maybe if introduced slowly to pasture he will straighten out stool wise as even here in Canada spring grass can be a problem, we just turn them out for a half hour at start and slowly increase. We get the loose stools from new grass also.
Bump...hope someone near you can help you out..
     
    09-28-2011, 01:29 PM
  #4
Started
A good pre/pro biotic supplement may help his digestion and nutrition absorption.
     
    09-29-2011, 12:48 AM
  #5
Started
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annnie31    
Sorry to hear of your problems with weight, am not from NZ so can't be of much help..cant imagine not having hay to feed..what a dilema. Can you feed your horse 3 times a day or even 2 times a day as it could help digestive problems such as diahrrea? Is he getting out on any grass now as maybe if introduced slowly to pasture he will straighten out stool wise as even here in Canada spring grass can be a problem, we just turn them out for a half hour at start and slowly increase. We get the loose stools from new grass also.
Bump...hope someone near you can help you out..
I hate not having hay to feed, but we're doing our own this year so dad may do some conventionals for me.. Yay

I can feed him twice a day if I manage my time better before school, but not 3 times daily, not yet anyway.

He is getting grass now he's paddocked 24/7 I just shift the tape each day to give him more grass, it's just rather limited and it actually doesn't make a difference to what type of grass it is(that I've noticed), he still got diahrrea through the winter if he had too much grass but I am trying to slowly increase it.

Thankyou :) I've already had enough problems with him, so hopefully this one resolves too
     
    09-29-2011, 12:49 AM
  #6
Started
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel1786    
A good pre/pro biotic supplement may help his digestion and nutrition absorption.
I'm not to sure on what a pre/pro biotic is, any examples please?
Thankyou :)
     
    09-29-2011, 03:08 AM
  #7
Weanling
IM in NZ - We strip graze as well for the same reason in spring. One of our horses is a lightish older TB - so we literally just feed him 2xs per day include oil in his feed. (We also feed hay once a day)

You could look at something like breeda in his feed that's meant to be good for weight gain...

He does really need some fibre to help keep it all moving so is there anyway that you can get a few bales of hay?

Also have you thought about running another horse through the paddock first (Or sheep)
     
    09-29-2011, 03:11 AM
  #8
Weanling
Quote:
Originally Posted by HollyBubbles    
I'm not to sure on what a pre/pro biotic is, any examples please?
Thankyou :)
theres lots of good probiotics out there check out trademe - flexwell do one as well as one called digest easi and digest rite
     
    09-29-2011, 04:07 AM
  #9
Started
Quote:
Originally Posted by jody111    
IM in NZ - We strip graze as well for the same reason in spring. One of our horses is a lightish older TB - so we literally just feed him 2xs per day include oil in his feed. (We also feed hay once a day)

You could look at something like breeda in his feed that's meant to be good for weight gain...

He does really need some fibre to help keep it all moving so is there anyway that you can get a few bales of hay?

Also have you thought about running another horse through the paddock first (Or sheep)
Oh yay another kiwi

Right, twice a day it is then haha, looks like an early night tonight, he has vegetable oil in his feed, but I have heard corn oil is better? Hmmm

I'm going to pick up a bag of Fibre Sure tomorrow from farm supplies, I got a sample pack of it at the races so I'll see how that goes. I haven't heard of Breeda, might look in to that if the Fibre sure doesn't have any noticeable effects. Don't want to add everything at once and not know whats doing what

I can't get hay just yet, but we should be able to soon, he seems to be coping without it for now though, it seems either the hardfeed is helping bind him up, or I have found the right balance of grass. Seeing as the Palm Kernel is pretty much just fibre, that would be helpful until I can get hay, right?

We live on a dairy farm, and I have 3 paddocks for Mitch, we do have 1yo jersey bulls that he gets rotated with, they eat the paddocks down a bit before he goes in there, but the paddock he's in right now has a lot of good grass, I'm just lucky he's learnt to respect fence reels, electric or not.
     
    09-29-2011, 04:09 AM
  #10
Started
Quote:
Originally Posted by jody111    
theres lots of good probiotics out there check out trademe - flexwell do one as well as one called digest easi and digest rite
Oh right, I think I recognise that name from trademe actually but I never really looked at the listing.. Off to trademe I go

What do probiotics actually do/are for? I've only really heard of them within the past month or so, through horseforum
     

Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
which oil is best for weight gain and what do they all do? jazzyrider Horse Health 32 01-17-2013 09:01 PM
Need to gain weight GiftedGlider Horse Health 4 07-26-2011 11:08 PM
weight gain, help? brighteyes08 Horse Nutrition 7 08-10-2010 01:11 PM
Do they need to gain any weight? Britt Horse Health 16 12-04-2009 10:50 PM
weight gain bloodhoundmom28 Horse Health 4 09-10-2009 09:19 AM



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:26 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0