Anybody know if it would be safe to use WD-40 on a horse? I'm wondering because my horse has got tree sap all over her neck and in the maine. WD-40 is the least harmful thing I have been able to think of that will really dissolve sap.
I would absolutely not recommend using WD-40 on ANY animal or person! It's not a cleaner in the same line as a detergent, shampoo or soap. It is composed of mineral oils and light lubricating oils. It is a lubricant and fine oil spray, and is used for lubrication and cleaning water out of metal joints to prevent corrosion. It also dissolves cocaine, so spraying a loo seat with it in a club prevents people from snorting cocaine there.
I don't know much about horse grooming (not a horse owner!) but try horse-safe detergents and lots and lots and lots of water. NOT WD-40, or white spirit.
EDIT: I just checked the can we have in the garage, and while it doesn't carry a HARMFUL or IRRITANT symbol, it does say to avoid contact with skin and to not breathe the fumes, vapour or spray.
WD-40 is a good solvent for many greases and displaces water, which is why it's used to prevent corrosion. But you'd be better off keeping it for when the buckle on your girth siezes up or something.
I would like to add just FYI, that it contains DMSO, a solvent commonly used medicinally to carry good drugs into the blood stream, however the problem with that is any impurities or toxins are also brought directly into the bloodstream. It's immediately absorbed, too, which is why when used for liniments and medicines you will want to use rubber gloves as some of the meds are harmful to people.
My stepdad (old enough to be my grandfather) says oldtimers used to use WD40 on their knees to help with arthritis (DMSO can increase blood circulation and help with joint pain) but the other chemicals were also absorbed quickly and made some people sick before they figured out why.
Sooo. WD40 is great stuff I'd use on hardware and stuff, but I'd never purposly put on animals or people. I know some people say it's great to get sap out of manes, but I'd just not go there...try baby oil instead.
Unless your horse is a show horse you can clip/shave the area on her neck that has the sap. Any residue after that should come out easily with shampoo.
As for the mane I would suggest washing washing washing washing with plenty of suds and if you can swing it, hot water. The warmer you can get the water the better. Other than that I don't know. I've fortunately never had to get anything really stubborn out of my horses manes :)
Yeah, one reason I wanted to ask is because I've heard about people spraying it on their joints. But I know that doesn't mean it's okay!! Haha
Water and soap just doesn't work. Because this is a lot of fresh extremely sticky sap. But I might could try dish washing detergent. I know you wouldn't want to use it on a horse too much, but it shouldn't hurt to use a little in the mane. But my horse shampoo has not even touched it.