Vaccine questions--risk when others don't vaccinate - The Horse Forum

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 Old 08-21-2012, 10:20 AM Thread Starter
Weanling
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: NW WA
Posts: 610
• Horses: 2
Vaccine questions--risk when others don't vaccinate

My daughter's QH and he Paint I lease get their 5 way and strangles each year. Several people at our barn do not vaccinate their horses. We were on a trailride/campout this weekend and a couple of the girls freaked out because their horses ate a little bit of grass at the campsite. "What if some sick horse ate here last?"

I asked them if their horses had shots and they said "No". My response was "Well, if they'd had their shots, you wouldn't be freaking out about this," and walked away. Then I started thinking about this, since there are about 5 others that don't vaccinate their horses at our barn. What risks are their to my horses because of their choice to not vaccinate? I guess if they never left the barn it wouldn't be such a big deal, but now they're all trailriding and hauling in and out. Is it something that I should be worrying about at all? I guess it frustrates me because I spend the money to vaccinate my horses to protect their horses since mine come and go so often, isn't it a courtesy to do the same?

Maybe it was more of a vent than questions, but really, are my horses at risk at all because their horses aren't vaccinated?


Joni
Fowl Play is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 11 Old 08-21-2012, 10:30 AM
Green Broke
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 3,444
• Horses: 1
From my understanding vaccines only help protect against the virus, it's not a guarantee. Strangles though is a whole nother story. The vaccine isn't all that great. We all vaccinate at my barn with at least the 7-way. I would be more concerned about the viruses you cannot vaccinate against.
poppy1356 is offline  
post #3 of 11 Old 08-21-2012, 10:34 AM Thread Starter
Weanling
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: NW WA
Posts: 610
• Horses: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by poppy1356 View Post
From my understanding vaccines only help protect against the virus, it's not a guarantee. Strangles though is a whole nother story. The vaccine isn't all that great. We all vaccinate at my barn with at least the 7-way. I would be more concerned about the viruses you cannot vaccinate against.
Well if I worried about the viruses you can't vaccinate against we'd never go anywhere.


Joni
Fowl Play is offline  
post #4 of 11 Old 08-21-2012, 10:42 AM
Green Broke
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 3,444
• Horses: 1
Haha true, I usually just watch for outbreaks of viruses in my area though. And don't let my horse touch noses with anyone when I travel. But if your horse is vaccinated it wont matter if others aren't. For instance two of us will do fall vaccinations and no one else will but our horses will still be protected.
poppy1356 is offline  
post #5 of 11 Old 08-21-2012, 10:50 AM Thread Starter
Weanling
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: NW WA
Posts: 610
• Horses: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by poppy1356 View Post
Haha true, I usually just watch for outbreaks of viruses in my area though. And don't let my horse touch noses with anyone when I travel. But if your horse is vaccinated it wont matter if others aren't. For instance two of us will do fall vaccinations and no one else will but our horses will still be protected.
I don't let my horses go nose to nose with anyone other than their "herd". I guess it just bugs me that they don't want to vaccinate. The worst part is that the ONLY reason most of them don't vaccinate is because it costs $30 for a 5 way shot.

My horses are okay though, as long as they continue to get vaccinated, right? But the horses that aren't vaccinated are really at risk when they go to a trail head where over 100 horses were on Saturday? Isn't that kind of dumb and risky? Counting on others to vaccinate?


Joni
Fowl Play is offline  
post #6 of 11 Old 08-21-2012, 10:55 AM
Green Broke
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 3,444
• Horses: 1
I would think yours should be fine. But my understanding is that the unvaccinated horses may up the risk since vaccines are not a guarantee of anything but it lowers the chances than if you did not vaccinate.

I personally do not see a reason in not vaccinating with at least the 5-way plus rabies. I will not vaccinate against strangles though, too much risk associated with that one. But something is better than nothing.
poppy1356 is offline  
post #7 of 11 Old 08-21-2012, 11:01 AM
Trained
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: N.W. Ohio
Posts: 5,344
• Horses: 0
I only vacinate as needed. Just like I only De wrom as needed. I have found that on average about ever 3 years or so is more then enough for the average horse. Now that being said. The show horses the broodmares or horses going into a big training barn get vacinated a bit more often. If all I am doing is trail riding in my area I would do no more then I do now. Same with local shows. We tend to over vacinate everything from our horses to our dogs and kids.

As to eating grass at an off site location. I NEVER let my horses eat grass at shows or trail riding and I do not pick up hay off the ground that has dropped. It is not b/c I am scared that they may get sick but b/c we are getting to the point that there are a lot of resitence with De wormers and I do not want my horses picking any parisites up from other horses. It has nothing to do with de worming or how often you do it. The fact is that they can still pick them up and what they do pick up can be resitent.

-I'm so busy... I don't know if I found a rope or lost my horse.
-An Armed Man is a Citizen an unarmed man is a subject.
-Where ever free speech is stifled Tyranny will reign.
nrhareiner is offline  
post #8 of 11 Old 08-21-2012, 11:18 AM Thread Starter
Weanling
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: NW WA
Posts: 610
• Horses: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by nrhareiner View Post
I only vacinate as needed. Just like I only De wrom as needed. I have found that on average about ever 3 years or so is more then enough for the average horse. Now that being said. The show horses the broodmares or horses going into a big training barn get vacinated a bit more often. If all I am doing is trail riding in my area I would do no more then I do now. Same with local shows. We tend to over vacinate everything from our horses to our dogs and kids.

As to eating grass at an off site location. I NEVER let my horses eat grass at shows or trail riding and I do not pick up hay off the ground that has dropped. It is not b/c I am scared that they may get sick but b/c we are getting to the point that there are a lot of resitence with De wormers and I do not want my horses picking any parisites up from other horses. It has nothing to do with de worming or how often you do it. The fact is that they can still pick them up and what they do pick up can be resitent.
Makes perfect sense, but when you are highlining for 3 days, it's darn hard to keep them from eating/ingesting something. I tie my horses to the trailer, on the gravel. My daughter's horse is used for 4-H, and we attempt to prevent her from eating grass anywhere, but it isn't always possible.

I just wanted to make sure that my horses weren't at risk because the others aren't vaccinating. I would think that horses that have been very sheltered to one place for a longer time would be at a great risk than those who are in and out and have been exposed to a lot. Maybe it doesn't work the same way with horses as it does with kids.


Joni
Fowl Play is offline  
post #9 of 11 Old 08-21-2012, 11:26 AM
Trained
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Palmyra, Wisconsin
Posts: 5,756
• Horses: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fowl Play View Post
I don't let my horses go nose to nose with anyone other than their "herd". I guess it just bugs me that they don't want to vaccinate. The worst part is that the ONLY reason most of them don't vaccinate is because it costs $30 for a 5 way shot.

My horses are okay though, as long as they continue to get vaccinated, right? But the horses that aren't vaccinated are really at risk when they go to a trail head where over 100 horses were on Saturday? Isn't that kind of dumb and risky? Counting on others to vaccinate?
It's really dumb. Not all diseases are transmitted by contact, some are by vector.
Those people are taking a risk & you having your horse protected won't help theirs very much but yours are fine.
Why doesn't your barn require vaccinations? At the minimum tetanus & rabies should be a must because they will kill a horse & in the case of rabies puts people at risk too.
natisha is offline  
post #10 of 11 Old 08-22-2012, 09:36 AM Thread Starter
Weanling
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: NW WA
Posts: 610
• Horses: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by natisha View Post
It's really dumb. Not all diseases are transmitted by contact, some are by vector.
Those people are taking a risk & you having your horse protected won't help theirs very much but yours are fine.
Why doesn't your barn require vaccinations? At the minimum tetanus & rabies should be a must because they will kill a horse & in the case of rabies puts people at risk too.
It is in the board agreement, but it's kind of an honor system. I spoke to the barn owner and she's arranging an all day vet call in the fall, and she's going to encourage everyone to have a dental check and shots. Most of the gals I was concerned about are teenagers, who are pretty resistant to any advice because after all, they know it all. She asks once a year for in September for your vet records to update her files. I don't know that she did it last year because at the time she usually does this, her and her son were each recovering from different accidents. It may have been ignored last year. It's tough when the only people you see for a horse are teenagers. When the financially responsible adult never pulls inside the gate, it's hard to have that conversation.

I'll just worry about my own horses and let them continue to put their horse at risk. I'll just keep mine up to date on everything.


Joni
Fowl Play is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the The Horse Forum forums, you must first register.

Already have a Horse Forum account?
Members are allowed only one account per person at the Horse Forum, so if you've made an account here in the past you'll need to continue using that account. Please do not create a new account or you may lose access to the Horse Forum. If you need help recovering your existing account, please Contact Us. We'll be glad to help!

New to the Horse Forum?
Please choose a username you will be satisfied with using for the duration of your membership at the Horse Forum. We do not change members' usernames upon request because that would make it difficult for everyone to keep track of who is who on the forum. For that reason, please do not incorporate your horse's name into your username so that you are not stuck with a username related to a horse you may no longer have some day, or use any other username you may no longer identify with or care for in the future.



User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


Old Thread Warning
This thread is more than 90 days old. When a thread is this old, it is often better to start a new thread rather than post to it. However, If you feel you have something of value to add to this particular thread, you can do so by checking the box below before submitting your post.

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Horse vaccine questions! site4pets Horse Health 36 03-26-2011 05:17 PM
What to vaccinate for? BWolters Horse Health 13 02-22-2011 06:49 PM
Vaccinate for Strangles squeak351 Horse Health 1 06-15-2010 09:39 AM
5 Way Vaccine kim_angel Horse Health 2 05-17-2009 12:10 PM
Do you vaccinate for Strangles? Got2Gallop Horse Health 14 12-13-2007 02:37 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome