Vet Diagnostic Translation Needed
 
 

       The Horse Forum > Keeping and Caring for Horses > Horse Health

Vet Diagnostic Translation Needed

This is a discussion on Vet Diagnostic Translation Needed within the Horse Health forums, part of the Keeping and Caring for Horses category

     
    LinkBack Thread Tools
        01-21-2011, 01:22 AM
      #1
    Weanling
    Vet Diagnostic Translation Needed

    My husband and I finally got everyone moved, and decided to go ahead and get the other Thoroughbred that I posted for you guys to critique. I finally got all of her paperwork in, and the previous owner included all the vet paperwork since she got Queen. I was looking over it, and could really use someone who understands horse vet lingo. I am used to small animal vet talk. Anyway, if someone could translate this for me I would really appreciate it.

    Date: 22Sep2010

    "Owner may be selling for jumper. Today sore RF 1-2/5 at trot in hand. Digital pulse RF 2/5, LF 0/5. LF medial large splint, quiet. LF ankle old injury, white at dorsal distal cannon and lateral ankle over hoing. Not sore to standing flex LF ankle. Flex LF and jog, not sore, but sore on RF so may not be getting good read. Hoof testers neg RF foot, very hard sole. Shoes on front, overgrown hooves. Expect buyer to want xrays of ankle. Soak RF foot in hot water, epsom salt 20 min, the wrap with Ichthammol oint. Treat 7 days. Blacksmith next week. Call if not sound is 7-10 days."

    I knew about the injury to the ankle. Looks like she might have banged it pretty good on the starting gate. Farrier work has been kept up.

    Saw vet again on 18OCT2010.

    "Walking sound. Trotting in hand occasional 1/5 RF, may be stepping on acorns. Digital pulses RF 1/5, LF 0/5. If soreness returns, lameness exam under saddle."

    Nothing to report after that.
         
    Sponsored Links
    Advertisement
     
        01-21-2011, 10:52 AM
      #2
    Weanling
    Looks like at the original vet visit the mare was sore in her right front leg. The 1-2/5 is the scale vets use to determine lameness. 1 or 2 is very low with hardly any at all while 5 would be the worst. The vet told them to soak her foot in epsom salts etc, and when he came out again she was better. He scaled her lameness as a 1/5 this time but says she may have just been stepping on acorns. However, he doesn't say why she was lame to begin with...
    It almost seems he thinks the old injury may be a problem since he says a prospective buyer will probably want x-rays done.
    EDIT: Forgot to add that she had very long feet and he told them to call a farrier. They must have because he makes no mention of her feet in the second visit.
         
        01-21-2011, 10:57 AM
      #3
    Banned
    PaintLover covered it.

    It reads like the vet is assuming the digital pulse and the slight lameness were caused by an abscess. Hence the soaking and packing.

    The splint being quiet I am guessing is his way of saying it is old and healed and not a bother anymore.
         
        01-21-2011, 11:02 AM
      #4
    Green Broke
    ^^ I agree with Paintlover's summation.

    The vet does make mention of the right fore having a heightened digital pulse, which sometimes can also highlight a slight laminitis episode, but from his description of how to treat, I would guess more likely he suspected an abscess.

    ETA: oops, posted the same time as AB, sorry to repeat!
         
        01-22-2011, 06:34 AM
      #5
    Weanling
    Thank you ladies for the explanation. That makes sense. Is this something I may have to worry about in the future?
         
        01-22-2011, 10:29 AM
      #6
    Green Broke
    What are you interested in doing with the horse? (didn't read your other thread, sorry) It makes mention on the vet record that the owner may be selling as a jumper. It also makes mention the new owner would want to get an xray done - so that might be a tip off that something else could be going on, or at least that it needs explored further. I would probably get your own vet analysis done - including that x-ray - to determine what you are dealing with as far as any possible long term soundness ramifications. That's not really something any of us can tell you.
         
        01-22-2011, 08:50 PM
      #7
    Weanling
    Thanks Indyhorse. I still don't know what I want to do with her at this point in time. I would love to learn dressage, or something like that. Not sure about jumping. I think I will do what you say, and have a vet check her out (including xrays). That will determine really what I can do, before I make a real decision.
         
        01-22-2011, 10:14 PM
      #8
    Green Broke
    Yup, that sounds like a good plan!
         
        01-23-2011, 03:58 AM
      #9
    Yearling
    Stay away from horses with ongoing lameness, even if it's minor!! Get a recent vet exam and if the horse is still sore I would completely pass.
         

    Thread Tools

    Similar Threads
    Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
    AQHA Stallion needed, direction needed Velvetgrace Horse Breeding 2 12-16-2010 01:29 PM
    translation needed Carina Western Riding 6 02-12-2010 02:02 AM
    English Translation needed! Carina Horse Talk 9 10-09-2009 02:59 PM
    Name needed!! JustDressageIt Horse Talk 25 09-21-2008 01:12 PM
    A dutch poem with translation Dapy Horse Stories and Poems 2 06-03-2008 09:16 PM



    All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:13 AM.


    Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
    Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
    Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0