Vet Records - Page 2
   

       The Horse Forum > Keeping and Caring for Horses > Horse Health

Vet Records

This is a discussion on Vet Records within the Horse Health forums, part of the Keeping and Caring for Horses category
  • What does NT mean in vet records

 
LinkBack Thread Tools
    03-03-2010, 04:55 PM
  #11
Started
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryle    
Unfortunately this is often not true. Most vets are still recommending the every 6-8 week rotation. Deworming tends to be one of those things that vets don't spend alot of time keeping up with because there are much cooler and more interesting issues in the veterinary medical profession. And many of the vets that people use are mixed practice vets who spend even less time keeping up with horse issues.
Although I think if rotational deworming was as ineffective as you always claim it to be, ALL vets would stop using/recommending it. It's not like veterinarians go to school, graduate and then don't update their knowledge base ever again. They keep up on issues, they attend seminars, conferences... yet, they still use rotational deworming. Can't be all that bad now, can it?
     
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
    03-03-2010, 05:03 PM
  #12
Trained
Ryle is right, that is outdated.

My vet does 2 fecal testings a year & use dewormer 3 times a year based on the findings.

Like ryle also said, vets do keep up to date on somethings, but they don't rego to vet school every year & couldnt possibly have enough time to study every new finding about everything

Just because your vet hasnt changed from rotational worming, doesnt mean a lot havent !!!!
     
    03-03-2010, 06:31 PM
  #13
Yearling
Quote:
Originally Posted by My Beau    
Although I think if rotational deworming was as ineffective as you always claim it to be, ALL vets would stop using/recommending it. It's not like veterinarians go to school, graduate and then don't update their knowledge base ever again. They keep up on issues, they attend seminars, conferences... yet, they still use rotational deworming. Can't be all that bad now, can it?
Do you know how often CURRENT deworming information is presented at equine veterinary conferences or even mixed animal veterinary conferences with equine lectures? In the last 10 years, it's been a random notation on resistance issues in the proceedings somewhere and lightly touched on in an occasional lecture. It's only in the last year that the veterinary conferences have had major discussions on new deworming strategies and the need for them. And truthfully, you are much more likely to find a vet tech attending those lectures than a veterinarian.

Veterinarians have a limited amount of time for keeping up-to-date on an infinite number of issues yearly. Generally they have an area that they are particularly interested in such as metabolic disease, orthopedic surgery, reproduction. Deworming and vaccine schedules just aren't generally on the top of their lists of interests. It's more often the veterinary technicians who are going to keep up-to-date on the preventative medicine aspects of animal care.

I'm sorry if you feel that I'm mis-representing the facts, but there are years of research to back up the resistance issues and there have been public and veterinary professional presentations in the last year that have brought to light the newer recommendations. Take a look at some of the new information for yourself if you don't believe what I am saying. Best to know for sure what you are talking about before you go giving advice to other horse owners.
The Horse | Will the Worms Win? Part 2: Resistance

The Horse | Parasite Resistance: 10 Things to Remember

The Horse | Delaying Dewormer Resistance: Advice Offered in Study
     
    03-03-2010, 07:13 PM
  #14
Started
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryle    
Best to know for sure what you are talking about before you go giving advice to other horse owners.

The only advice I gave was for them to talk to their vet about a proper deworming protocol for their area. I did not say "here's a deworming schedule that you need to follow."
     
    03-04-2010, 07:52 AM
  #15
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryle    
Best to know for sure what you are talking about before you go giving advice to other horse owners.
Maybe you should take your own advice for a change!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryle    
And truthfully, you are much more likely to find a vet tech attending those lectures than a veterinarian.

I have to wonder if the vets you work for know you go around telling the whole world how stupid and uninformed all vets are and how the techs are the only people who know anything.
You might also not want to sweep the entire vet world with the same broad brush of inadequacy you paint the vets you are associated with.

My Beau gave accurate advice and I truly hope that anyone on the internet listens to their local vet LONG before they listen to some vet tech on an internet BB.
Sure, use the information you got here to start a conversation with your vet. But your vet knows your area.


Both of equine practices in my area have been, for over a year, telling their clients about resistance, testing and the new theories on deworming. The practice I use has not only sent out an email news letter on it, but a mailer too. They also offered a hands on evening clinic where you could see how a fecal test was done and learned all about the latest and greatest on the topic. Their free spring seminar also included a presentation on it. The VETS are very active in keeping up on the latest information that keeps the animals in their care safe.
     
    03-23-2010, 05:14 PM
  #16
Foal
Horse Health Records

You can purchase an instant download form for $4.95 at http://store.payloadz.com/go?id=792384 , it has all spaces for every thing you may want to keep track of.
     
    03-23-2010, 05:25 PM
  #17
Trained
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alwaysbehind    


Both of equine practices in my area have been, for over a year, telling their clients about resistance, testing and the new theories on deworming. The practice I use has not only sent out an email news letter on it, but a mailer too. They also offered a hands on evening clinic where you could see how a fecal test was done and learned all about the latest and greatest on the topic. Their free spring seminar also included a presentation on it.
thats great that your vets keep so up to date most are unable to.
     

« Joints | alfalfa »
Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Racing Records... EquestrianHollywood Horse Talk 11 02-25-2010 05:50 PM



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:55 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0