The waiting game

       The Horse Forum > Keeping and Caring for Horses > Horse Health

The waiting game

This is a discussion on The waiting game within the Horse Health forums, part of the Keeping and Caring for Horses category

    LinkBack Thread Tools
        04-28-2010, 07:29 AM
    The waiting game

    Ok yesterday my competition horse was out in the field and being the complete ejit that she can be ran through two electric fences to her old herd(we put our horses into small artificial herd to minimise injuries, and make it safer and more grazng for them etc). In her blind panic the 3horses behind her jumped into a field she kept going on a vey rough lane surface. I went immediatly and got her, cheked her legs etc. SHe had no swelling or heat etc last night. This morning I went in to her stable and she was crippled with lameness her entire tendon and knee is swollen she is hobbling around. I immediately rang the vet who is coming in 2hours. Over the phone he told me just how likely she has severly damaged her tendons. Im crying writing this just when she is starting to go right after loads of injuries this winter, she qualified for eventing championships this summer but if its her tendons she will be fit for nothing except standing in for 3months which will send her crazy in the summer the winter on field rest. Realistically it will be next winter by the time I can ride again. Im praying so bad its not her tendons as it will possibly be the worst thing ever for us we will crack up. Please hope that it is anything but that. I feel so helpless just watching her right now and its sych apparent lameness that I know its really hurting her and breaking my heart. My poor darling girl she is so unlucky with her legs its always one injury following another. Please hope its something minor and im over reacting something ridiculous.
    Sponsored Links
        04-28-2010, 07:50 AM
    Fingers crossed for you - that's absolutely horrible. Update us as soon as you feel ready to if you can? I'm sure after the vet is out you'll know more.

    In the meantime - breathe.
        04-28-2010, 08:18 AM
    Yeah the vet should be here shortly and ill let you know how it goes hoping it just will be good news requiring only rest and antibiotics! Im about to have a break down! I took her out there and let her onto our arena to see how she is moving she voluntarily trotted and cantered where as its not visible in walk in trot its so bad same in canter she is 3legged!
        04-28-2010, 03:01 PM
    I remember going to the barn one day and being told that the night before the horses had gotten out and run down the road (pavement); my horse's front knee was swollen, and he wasn't bearing any weight on it. I panicked, thinking the worst possible scenerios...tendon injuries, broken bones, etc. I called our vet while I was hosing it down, and gave him the run down, and he suggested just doing what I was doing, along with giving him shots of banamine throughout the next 24-48 hours and see what happens. He also suggested putting a mild liniment and lightly wrapping it, to further reduce the inflammation and discomfort, especially so that if we eventually needed to get an x-ray, it wouldn't be clouded by the fluid and swollen tissue. I left him in is normal paddock, rather than cramping him up in a stall, as he was quiet out there anyway, but of course, that wouldn't be an option for everyone. Anyway, within 12 hours, there was a very noticeable difference; he was standing mobile on four legs again, the swelling was greatly reduced, and he was moving much more freely. The next day, you couldn't tell that anything had been wrong, although I still gave him 2 weeks rest, just to be sure. Soooooooo...hopefully, your girl just had too good of a time, and is just sore. Do you have pain medications? Have you hosed her? Do you have light bandages you could wrap her with, to give her a bit of support?
        04-28-2010, 03:34 PM
    The vet came out earlier and said she has shocked her fetlock joint the the swelling is protection and she is not showing any actual serious damage the tendon is not injured(the swelling was down the back of the leg hence th initail diagnosis). So he gave her meds this afternoon she is looking happier I stable her at night but she will out every day for 12hours but with an old paddock pony so minimal movement. At night she is stood in our FREEZING river for 20minutes then wrapped today she was given some bute as she is in alot of pain this evening. The vet said 4days total rest then light walking on soft surfaces and see how she is no canter for 2weeks and only light trot at the very end of the 2nd week so our walk will be amazing hoopefully!!
    Does this sound like long enough rest though or should I extend it for the week?
        04-28-2010, 04:24 PM
    Phew, I'm glad it wasn't serious...that would have really really sucked...

    If I were you I would play it as safe as I could (LOL, typical me) and extend the time just a little, and watch for every slightest sign that could mean more lameness.

    My luck is never good, because twice when I was meant to take Night Heat to a show, less than a week before the show she will be either lame or sore... :roll:

    Keep us posted on how she is healing up.
        04-28-2010, 04:38 PM
    O I am super paranoid about my horses trust me!! Ye I think ill leave her a week just out at grass becoming nice and fat. O tell me about bad luck last year before a big jumping weekend my horse punctured her leg artery!!
    Ye I will indeed ill let you know tomorrow how it goes after I unwrap her and inject her see is there a slight improvement!
        04-28-2010, 04:48 PM
    Wow...shame....I could sometimes swear horses plan when to get hurt and when not to get hurt! LOL
        04-28-2010, 05:10 PM
    Well that's good that it doesn't seem to be anything too drastic!!! I would do as the vet says, and just see how she does...Keeping her calm will be the key, I think, even if she is on full turn out (remember easy movement is good for healing).
        04-29-2010, 11:03 AM
    Ye the pony she is out with no wouldnt over exert himself to much and unless encouraged either does she! Ye I was considering doing full turnout but would a few hours in a stable do her better as she will have no movement then?

    Thread Tools

    Similar Threads
    Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
    I hate waiting BarrelracingArabian Horse Talk 0 04-25-2010 09:27 PM
    After 2 weeks of waiting...... rdn1234 Horse Talk 7 01-26-2010 10:53 AM
    Waiting for new stuff :D Pinto Pony Horse Talk 28 08-29-2009 04:29 PM
    Waiting on foal satrider Horse Breeding 3 04-28-2009 09:49 PM
    MTG - Just Keep Waiting? Equina Horse Grooming 14 04-22-2008 10:17 AM

    All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:02 PM.

    Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
    Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
    Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0