Warm horse - The Horse Forum
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 Old 07-13-2009, 11:05 AM Thread Starter
Showing
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Greenville area / SC
Posts: 13,165
• Horses: 3
Warm horse

I've had boomer for a month now and his body always feels warm. His temp is higher then normal but not much. He acts fine, he's active, drinks water normally. He is warm to the touch - not hot but noticeable. Any ideas?

I'm not arguing with you, I'm just explaining why I'm right.

Nothing sucks more than that moment during an argument when you realize you're wrong.


It's not always what you say but what they hear.
iridehorses is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 12 Old 07-13-2009, 05:50 PM
Yearling
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: British Columbia, Canada
Posts: 1,284
• Horses: 4
I have two full brothers who are four years apart. George the older one has a normal temp of 98.9-99.2 the younger one has a normal temp of 99.5-100.2 a full degree higher. He always feels warm to me too.

I would keep a log of his temp for a week, take it each morning before he's eaten anything and is calm.

His normal may just be on the high end.

The other suggestion is blood work, could have a low grade infection.....
G and K's Mom is offline  
post #3 of 12 Old 07-13-2009, 09:16 PM
Banned
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 5,526
• Horses: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by iridehorses View Post
He is warm to the touch - not hot but noticeable. Any ideas?

Wwwwweeeeelllll he is a warmblood isn't he...soooooooo.

G & K's suggestions sound right.
Spyder is offline  
post #4 of 12 Old 07-14-2009, 07:20 AM Thread Starter
Showing
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Greenville area / SC
Posts: 13,165
• Horses: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spyder View Post
Wwwwweeeeelllll he is a warmblood isn't he...soooooooo.
EXACTLY what my wife said.

I'm leaning toward the "normal" body temp but I'm just not sure it isn't a low grade infection coming from somewhere - but a month?

I'm not arguing with you, I'm just explaining why I'm right.

Nothing sucks more than that moment during an argument when you realize you're wrong.


It's not always what you say but what they hear.

Last edited by iridehorses; 07-14-2009 at 07:23 AM.
iridehorses is offline  
post #5 of 12 Old 07-14-2009, 10:52 AM
Started
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Illinois
Posts: 1,917
• Horses: 1
My temp runs low all the time. It it's 98.6 I have a fever and don't feel well. Individuals are different. I think I'd keep my eye on your boy and see if he shows any signs of illness. Have you called the vet and asked him what he thinks?

Are you absolutely sure you wanna mess with my carrots?
Joshie is offline  
post #6 of 12 Old 07-14-2009, 10:55 AM
Banned
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 5,526
• Horses: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by iridehorses View Post
EXACTLY what my wife said.

Great minds think alike !!
Spyder is offline  
post #7 of 12 Old 07-14-2009, 11:08 AM
mls
Trained
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: MN
Posts: 5,464
• Horses: 3
Has he been anywhere to have been exposed to strep?
mls is offline  
post #8 of 12 Old 07-14-2009, 11:14 AM Thread Starter
Showing
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Greenville area / SC
Posts: 13,165
• Horses: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshie View Post
Have you called the vet and asked him what he thinks?
I haven't had a vet out but talked to one on the phone. Aside from the obvious body temp, he acts normal. He drinks a normal amount of water, eats fine, movements seem normal, etc. ... he just feels unusually warm.

After all the horses I've owned or trained, this is the first one that I noticed with this condition. Just seemed unusual.

(BTW, my wife usually has a lower temp then the average of 98.6 and I've heard of others like that but not with a higher temp then normal or someone who felt noticeably warmer.)

I'm not arguing with you, I'm just explaining why I'm right.

Nothing sucks more than that moment during an argument when you realize you're wrong.


It's not always what you say but what they hear.
iridehorses is offline  
post #9 of 12 Old 07-14-2009, 11:16 AM Thread Starter
Showing
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Greenville area / SC
Posts: 13,165
• Horses: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by mls View Post
Has he been anywhere to have been exposed to strep?
Not that I'm aware of. I got him from a dealer friend who had him for a month or so before I got him. None of her other horses displayed signs of illness.

I'm not arguing with you, I'm just explaining why I'm right.

Nothing sucks more than that moment during an argument when you realize you're wrong.


It's not always what you say but what they hear.
iridehorses is offline  
post #10 of 12 Old 07-14-2009, 11:19 AM
mls
Trained
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: MN
Posts: 5,464
• Horses: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by iridehorses View Post
Not that I'm aware of. I got him from a dealer friend who had him for a month or so before I got him. None of her other horses displayed signs of illness.
Unfortunately they do not need to be active with the illness to shed and give to others. Some horses are carriers.
mls is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the The Horse Forum forums, you must first register.

Already have a Horse Forum account?
Members are allowed only one account per person at the Horse Forum, so if you've made an account here in the past you'll need to continue using that account. Please do not create a new account or you may lose access to the Horse Forum. If you need help recovering your existing account, please Contact Us. We'll be glad to help!

New to the Horse Forum?
Please choose a username you will be satisfied with using for the duration of your membership at the Horse Forum. We do not change members' usernames upon request because that would make it difficult for everyone to keep track of who is who on the forum. For that reason, please do not incorporate your horse's name into your username so that you are not stuck with a username related to a horse you may no longer have some day, or use any other username you may no longer identify with or care for in the future.



User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


Old Thread Warning
This thread is more than 90 days old. When a thread is this old, it is often better to start a new thread rather than post to it. However, If you feel you have something of value to add to this particular thread, you can do so by checking the box below before submitting your post.

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
XC Warm-up at our 2nd Comp. What do you think? RedHawk Horse Videos 8 06-04-2009 01:15 PM
This will warm your heart! Dreamer1215 Horse Articles 11 05-16-2009 04:34 PM
How-to : Warm your horse's muscles! ohmyitschelle Horse Videos 7 01-24-2009 05:51 PM
Stay Warm!! Moxie General Off Topic Discussion 42 01-16-2009 05:50 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome