Warts? - Page 2
 
 

       The Horse Forum > Keeping and Caring for Horses > Horse Health

Warts?

This is a discussion on Warts? within the Horse Health forums, part of the Keeping and Caring for Horses category
  • Wart remover for horses
  • Use wart remover on horses

 
LinkBack Thread Tools
    11-04-2009, 01:47 PM
  #11
mls
Trained
Warts are viral. They run their course and go away.

An older horse having just one - it's probably a sarcoid.
     
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
    11-04-2009, 02:14 PM
  #12
Foal
Quote:
Originally Posted by lolayla    
eventually they will fall off on their own
Warts are a viral infection, most commonly seen on young horses but sometimes on older horses too. They usually disappear on their own. While unsightly, they don't do any damage usually.
     
    11-04-2009, 02:28 PM
  #13
Trained
They are a virus so they will go away as soon as their immune system kicks in.
     
    11-04-2009, 02:46 PM
  #14
Trained
They will eventually go away. But they're ugly hahaha. You can pay the vet to laser or freeze them off, but this is very expensive.
Something that I have found to get rid of them which works most, but not all of the time is to buy the human wart freezer and use it only on the single largest wart. By doing this, the horse's immune system should kick in faster and get rid of them right away. If they don't start all falling off in about 2-4 weeks, then freeze off the next biggest one, etc...

Good luck!
     
    11-04-2009, 03:42 PM
  #15
Trained
Thanks Anabel, I will give her some time to see what happens.

She has a large cluster of very small warts, but is malnurioushed.
     
    11-04-2009, 03:56 PM
  #16
mls
Trained
Quote:
Originally Posted by ~*~anebel~*~    
Something that I have found to get rid of them which works most, but not all of the time is to buy the human wart freezer and use it only on the single largest wart. By doing this, the horse's immune system should kick in faster and get rid of them right away. If they don't start all falling off in about 2-4 weeks, then freeze off the next biggest one, etc...
No! Do not use human wart remover on a horse. Warts on a horse are typically in an area involving the delicate membranes - muzzle and eyes. A horse will not understand the burning sensation and attempt to rub the product off. Risk for eye damage is great.

If absolutely necessary - you can CRUSH the largest wart with a pliers. This supposedly kills the root and the remaining warts will die off more quickly.

However, they are just a virus and unless compound enough to interfere with eating, breathing or vision, please allow time for them to simply go away.
     
    11-04-2009, 10:05 PM
  #17
Yearling
Quote:
Originally Posted by FehrGroundRanch    
Thanks Anabel, I will give her some time to see what happens.

She has a large cluster of very small warts, but is malnurioushed.
A malnourished horse is not going to have a fully functioning immune system as stress can suppress it. I think if you get her in some better condition and give her some time the warts will resolve on their own.
     
    11-05-2009, 08:31 AM
  #18
Weanling
Quote:
Originally Posted by mls    
No! Do not use human wart remover on a horse. Warts on a horse are typically in an area involving the delicate membranes - muzzle and eyes. A horse will not understand the burning sensation and attempt to rub the product off. Risk for eye damage is great.

If absolutely necessary - you can CRUSH the largest wart with a pliers. This supposedly kills the root and the remaining warts will die off more quickly.

However, they are just a virus and unless compound enough to interfere with eating, breathing or vision, please allow time for them to simply go away.
I actually had a vet tell me this same thing. Pick off the biggest one and the rest will soon follow
     

Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Warts on her nose FunDad Horse Health 5 09-08-2009 09:28 PM
Warts around my yearlings mouth vicki Horse Health 9 08-06-2009 06:13 PM
Warts???? Joe Amos Horse Health 7 07-10-2009 06:45 PM
Help with getting rid of warts MistyAcres Horse Health 6 04-16-2008 07:14 PM



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:34 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0