So I just need a bit of feedback on my current situation cause it's stressing me out a lot. I am moving from my current barn to a new one on the 25th as it is right now, however I am currently reconsidering because of this problem that has just happened. This place that I'm at, the BO has developed a reputation for not feeding the pasture horses constantly and only letting them have access to the water trough in the morning before locking them back out. My horse is in a paddock and until now was fine, but I went out Thursday to find the water trough completely frozen (i tried stomping on it to see if it was just a layer on top and even went at it with a hammer a bit but it was frozen solid all the way through). So bitterly I brought my horse, his paddock buddy and the horse in the paddock next to him who shared the waterer, bucks of water to drink. They were very thirsty. I then went and told my BO that it was frozen and she was surprised (which makes me think she hasn't even bothered to check the waterers recently even though they are in plain sight and easy to take a look at). She assured me they would cover it and bring them some water later that night.
I can back the next day, it had warmed up a bit and the water was no longer frozen however they had 'covered' it with a empty shavings bag with a hole (not big enough for them to get their heads into, I actually had to rip it open a bit more just so my horse could drink). When I asked her about the situation with the waterer she said she would have UFA out today (saturday) to fix it.
I didn't want to have to drive out again today if they had water (it's a 45 minute drive both ways for me and very cold today) so I asked a trusted friend who goes out daily to grain his horses to check the waterer for me. He told me it was frozen solid again but he had seen the BO's daughter with a bucket, though he didn't know if it was full of water for the horses. I then texted the BO asking about the waterer and if it had been fixed. I was told it had been fixed that morning, but then had broken again and that they were going to "cover" it again and bring them water later in the night.
So right now I'm trying to decide wether or not to remove my horse sooner than the date I had planned, just to ensure he has access to water. It is still very cold here (today it was -26 with windchill) and he doesn't get enough feed to compensate for him having to eat snow. I do not want my horse becoming thin and cannot get out there every morning and night to give him water because of the distance he is from me as well as the high gas prices right now (i will if I have to but it's very inconvenient and expensive). So my questions are:
Would covering a broken heated waterer with a empty plastic shavings bag be considered an appropriate way to cover the waterer in order to unthaw the ice?
Is it ok for horses to only get a bucket of water in the morning and at night with no access to it if they do not want any at those times?
Would YOU move your horse sooner in this situation? Or would you wait a few more days to see if the waterer gets fixed?
I can move out sooner, but the problem is that I then will have to pay full board at the new place instead of the half board we settled on since i'm moving after the 15th.